Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

nordique

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ thank you for the update - I have the latest atmosphere 17.1 everything loading and working fine but Tesla overlay is not working for some reason

hmm. I uploaded the latest versions of the files to .overlays and also added the package files to atmosphere contents and the config folder (the one in the root of the swtich, not in the atmopshere folder .... i copied it to SD->config->tesla)

Any ideas why overlay menu isnt coming up in games?

Edit:
Bizarrely, my tinfoil now isn’t launching. Again, atmosphere 1.7.1, games launch fine.
Latest sig patches too …

Last edited by nordique,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
^ thank you for the update - I have the latest atmosphere 17.1 everything loading and working fine but Tesla overlay is not working for some reason

hmm. I uploaded the latest versions of the files to .overlays and also added the package files to atmosphere contents and the config folder (the one in the root of the swtich, not in the atmopshere folder .... i copied it to SD->config->tesla)

Any ideas why overlay menu isnt coming up in games?
test the config of tesla for the actual button combination effective on your console.

• Love
Reactions: nordique

nordique

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
test the config of tesla for the actual button combination effective on your console.

Has traditionally been L+down on d pad + R3 for me

(Unless I am misunderstanding); May I ask how to test the config to see if it’s changed? last time this happened I needed to re-download the overlay ovl file and that fixed/solved the issue, which I also tried again, but no luck this time

Reactions: impeeza

Ethelbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Go to config\tesla folder on your SD card. The settings file there should include the button combination.
It might me shoulder buttons + down now.

• Love
Reactions: nordique

nordique

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Go to config\tesla folder on your SD card. The settings file there should include the button combination.

oh wow!

did not know this!

Thanks guys

yes now tesla works. It is now "L+R+dpad up"

bizzare! Working fine :)

tesla is even smoother now too

• Love

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Can you please explain the difference? In what instances would one need to use "TESLA NX OvlLoader SYSMODULE" instead of the first option?
Tesla NX OVLLOADER is a SYSMODULE!!!! is the sysmodule which enable to show overlays

Tesla MENU is the OVL which contains the main menu on the list of your Overlays is first displayed when you press the configured key combo.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
Tesla NX OVLLOADER is a SYSMODULE!!!! is the sysmodule which enable to show overlays

Tesla MENU is the OVL which contains the main menu on the list of your Overlays is first displayed when you press the configured key combo.

My brain isn't working right today. First the SHA-1 vs SHA256 mistake, and now I misread but didn't get to edit my post quick enough after realizing it. :P

• Haha

jorak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I just modded my switch lite which is running 18.1.0 and created an sd card using HATS. I get a crash error when I start the CFW with error code 2168-0002 (0x4a8). If I delete the folder 420000000007E51A which I believe is the nx-ovlloader everything starts fine. I also tried the newer version from a previous post with the file
nx-ovlloader-zdm-v1.0.7-2024_04_09-c42f5fa6-LibNX-v4.7.0-1-c7698526.zip
but I still get the same error. Is this known to cause these errors on 18.1.0 or am I doing anything wrong? Should I wait for a newer version?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I just modded my switch lite which is running 18.1.0 and created an sd card using HATS. I get a crash error when I start the CFW with error code 2168-0002 (0x4a8). If I delete the folder 420000000007E51A which I believe is the nx-ovlloader everything starts fine. I also tried the newer version from a previous post with the file
nx-ovlloader-zdm-v1.0.7-2024_04_09-c42f5fa6-LibNX-v4.7.0-1-c7698526.zip
but I still get the same error. Is this known to cause these errors on 18.1.0 or am I doing anything wrong? Should I wait for a newer version?
Backup and delete SD:/atmosphere/contents folder, then copy manually sigpatches and SYS-PATCH sysmodule. And test, them copy the sysmodule you like manually, ALL-IN-ONE PACKAGES ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

oh wow!

did not know this!

Thanks guys

yes now tesla works. It is now "L+R+dpad up"

bizzare! Working fine :)

tesla is even smoother now too

For some reason, I don't have the config/tesla folder...would that explain why I can't open up the Tesla Menu?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
For some reason, I don't have the config/tesla folder...would that explain why I can't open up the Tesla Menu?
Yes, you need ta SD:/config/tesla/config.ini file configured with the set of button(s) to pop up it, if no correct file is found NO tesla is loaded.

by example mine is:

Code:
[tesla]
key_combo=L+ZL+R+ZR

;file: sdmc:/config/tesla/config.ini
;keys: A, B, X, Y, LS, RS, L, R, ZL, ZR, PLUS, MINUS, DLEFT, DUP, DRIGHT, DDOWN, SL, SR

so I do have to press ZL+ZR+L+R to popup Overlays

On the commented lines I have a reminder of the possible buttons to assign

jorak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Backup and delete SD:/atmosphere/contents folder, then copy manually sigpatches and SYS-PATCH sysmodule. And test, them copy the sysmodule you like manually, ALL-IN-ONE PACKAGES ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE
Thanks for your reply but I'm still experiencing issues.
I deleted the folders in /atmosphere/contents and also the contents from /switch/.overlays except ovlmenu.ovl.
Since I started understanding the file structure and feeling more comfortable to edit the files, I also changed the hekate_ipl.ini to use the fusee.bin file like I read on most guides instead of package3.

It started fine the first time but after shutting down and removing/reinserting the sd card I couldn't boot. The power button was not doing anything and the LCD was staying black. Also it wasn't doing anything even without the sd card. The LED on the rp2040 wasn't working either. I don't know how it happened. Maybe I removed the sd card too soon. It got fixed after removing the battery.

Then I added again the 420000000007E51A folder from nx-ovlloader and again it crashed on boot with the same error, 2168-0002 (0x4a8).
Could anyone verify that nx-ovlloader is working on 18.1.0?

• Wow

DreadCrayon

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The files that appear in the GitHub website of Tesla Menu are working on the last switch version 18.1.0? And sys-overclock is also working with the files that appear on his GitHub? And they also work with the last Atmosphere update? Thank you.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The files that appear in the GitHub website of Tesla Menu are working on the last switch version 18.1.0? And sys-overclock is also working with the files that appear on his GitHub? And they also work with the last Atmosphere update? Thank you.
Most of them, check the post https://gbatemp.net/posts/10121629/ there is a list of new ones and the Repos with latest versions.

DreadCrayon

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don’t see it very well, can you tell me if tesla menu, nx overload and sys overclock work in the last switch and atmosphere update? I think on switch is 18.1.0 and on atmosphere 1.7.1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't talk about Mrs. Psionic Peepcock like that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nothing like loading up blue websites to see two middle aged men circle jerking each other
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken you going to lemon party again?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I avoid lemonaids if I can
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    AncientBoi's minding his own business.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi is the one in the middle of that old grandpa photo
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meatspin is Kens desktop background lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes uremum didn't tell me about her transition and begged me to make it my background
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I couldn't hurt his or hers feelings
  • TechieSaru tempBOT:
    TechieSaru has joined the room.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Don't ask him where to get lemonade. ;)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi fondles big red lemons to make lemonaides
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Always wanting my lemons he can't have them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jeb stole bigonyas pants
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Jokes on you, I don't have any on.... "Cause I'm free.... Free ballin'"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Sounds like you and AncientBoi get along together TOO well.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thank God we are 20 states away from each tho. Kenny's almost neighbors with him.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I live in kc you dingus
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok still closer to him than me, perv boy
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok still closer to him than me, perv boy