Gaming Terraria's major development is stopping.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

The future of Terraria has been highly debated as of late, not just with the community, but for us as well. The last year has been a crazy ride! When I started on this game, I just had a few ideas of what I thought would make a fun game. I had no idea that it would receive so much attention. I want to thank all of you for supporting us and making this game's success possible.

After a lot of internal debate, we have decided that it is time to move on. My wife and I are due to have another boy soon, and I want to spend some time getting to know him. I also want to spend the time recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer. I have learned a lot from working on Terraria and plan on using what I've learned, building upon it, and moving forward with another, even better project. However, we are still planning at least one more bug fix for Terraria.

For those that haven't already heard, Finn "Tiy" Brice has moved on to form Chucklefish and is heavily at work on an exciting new game called “Starbound”. It's looking to be a lot of fun, so make sure to check it out if you haven't already!

Thanks again for all your support, and I am very much looking forward to providing you with something much better than Terraria in the future!

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/my-fellow-terrarians.81455/

inb4 wahhhh how dare he focus on raising his son instead of making my videogame better
inb4 wahhhh it must be a lie he's just lazy

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not like they really ever updated anyway. Minor updates took a month, the only major update took like...4 months. Only plus side is they released after being tested, unlike Notch who loved to ram out updates with absolutely no testing...

Just allow modding (if they haven't already) and make it easily accessible, and bam, self sufficient game.
I don't particularly plan on paying for a replica of Terraria when Starbound comes out.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, we knew it was coming. A dev can't just work on a game forever without moving on to new projects.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
While Terraria is pretty much complete, it still has something missing...It's like, once you do everything there is to do, it won't be fun to do it again, unlike a lot of games.

I think if they would've focused on the terrain, landscape, biomes, and other stuff like that more, and added some option for infinite worlds, it would have a lot more replayability. It's just too predictable as it is IMO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them