Temp Debates #8

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,161
  • Replies 28

Should fascists be given a platform to speak? ~Suggested by TrolleyDave

• By posting my argument below, I say yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By posting me argument below, I say no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
3972882tempdebates.png
prowlyprowlyprowlyprowlyprowlyprowlyprowly

Debate 8 Should fascists be given a platform to speak? ~Suggested by TrolleyDave​
How to debate
We will be debating about a question, make your point heard.
If the question is: Can we live without air?

A response can be: No, because air sustains life.
Another can be: No, that point is wrong because we can live on Oxygen alone, not air.
Another can be: No, because plants need CO2 which is in air to live, and without plants, we would die.
^ I love this debate fail...

and so on.
OK.

You will find today's debate title at the top of this post/in the topic description. Happy debating! I am impartial to this and will ignore the posts I have made to count the final score, as they were made solely to get the debate up and running. I will judge which side has won at the end, however will join the debate.

The debate will last as long as I think it should last

Previous Debates
Can we live without modern technology? The 'Temp says we can.
Will the world end in 2012? The 'Temp says 'fuck no'.
Genetic/DNA Manipulation on humans. Should it be legal in the UK? The 'Temp thinks that it should be legal
Media Censorship? Protective or Restrictive? The 'temp believes media censorship is restrictive - but only just!
Health and Safety laws. Protective or restrictive? Protective, 13 to 7
Cannabis (plant) should be legalized. Oh really? The 'temp says yes, 21 to 8, but it's use should be enforced like tobacco.
Medical Research on animals. Does it do more good than harm? It does good.
9 Should fascists be given a platform to speak? ~Suggested by TrolleyDave

Future Debates
Suggest-A-Debate thread
10 Suggest-A-Debate-Debate

Description:

Fascists. Hitler was one. Nick Griffin (non-family guy one) is another. Should they be allowed to give their views and run campaigns? Free speech is a law and is allegedly carried out - it's a free country, but should fascists be allowed to speak their free speech? You decide. Next debate: SUGGESTION THREAD.

3707 -t8, uC TrolleyDave,FAST, Blood Fetish stat G

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The probem then becomes, who decides what a fascist is? I would say George W Bush is one. Let him speak, fine, but when it comes to letting him interfere in the governments of other countries, well, that's not his place to do so. America voted for him, that is where his domain should begin and end.

So, to summaraize, I say, speaking is OK.
Foreign invasion is not.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
All fascists should be allowed to speak, even if their views are horrible and restricting others the freedom to speak, most fascists we hear about are in politics and if you want a fascist government then vote for one

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you say no, then you're on the road to facsist yourself. Everyone should have the right to speak, no matter how distasteful their speech. Unless the speech incites or facilitates violence, nobody should be silenced or prosecuted for what they say.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, I pretty much agree with 0ddity. It's best to let them speak, so that you know what they're thinking of, but if their ideas and views on things are too radical, they should not be given any power.

It would also give you the option to change their minds, whereas if they don't say anything, you woulldn't know about them and you wouldn't be able to convince them that your ideas are just better.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i do agree that the right to self-expression should not be oppressed. however, it is a well-known fact that sometimes, all it takes is one spark, a catalyst, for lack of better term, for everything to go to hell in a hand basket. sometimes, if we give them a voice, they will come in hordes, just like nazi germany (at least that's what nat geo says, hitler just started as an outspoken nobody). if it would help save democracy, heck, even save one person from suffering, would it be too much a price to pay to cut off a man's right to express himself? surely one would not choose the greater of the two evils?

shyam513

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
0ddity said:
If you say no, then you're on the road to facsist yourself. Everyone should have the right to speak, no matter how distasteful their speech. Unless the speech incites or facilitates violence, nobody should be silenced or prosecuted for what they say.

That is a point, but then again - how do you decide what kinda speech "facilitates Violence?" I don't think letting Facist's say whatever they want on live television, radio, ect is a good idea. If a facist begins propogating their hatred against another race, gender, culture or whatever, how is that going to make a person from that group who is listening at the time feel? It would understandably make them scared and upset, to listen to someone demeaning them. And, in my opinion, nobody's right to free speech is greater than one person's right not to live in fear.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
Yeah, I pretty much agree with 0ddity. It's best to let them speak, so that you know what they're thinking of, but if their ideas and views on things are too radical, they should not be given any power.

It would also give you the option to change their minds, whereas if they don't say anything, you woulldn't know about them and you wouldn't be able to convince them that your ideas are just better.
I couldn't agree more.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
shyam513 said:
0ddity said:

That is a point, but then again - how do you decide what kinda speech "facilitates Violence?" I don't think letting Facist's say whatever they want on live television, radio, ect is a good idea. If a facist begins propogating their hatred against another race, gender, culture or whatever, how is that going to make a person from that group who is listening at the time feel? It would understandably make them scared and upset, to listen to someone demeaning them. And, in my opinion, nobody's right to free speech is greater than one person's right not to live in fear.

Its pretty simple, if your speech consists of telling people to kill or hurt someone, or explicit instructions on how to do so, that would constitute facilitation, like the recent case of the radio host convicted for something he said on his radio show about killing federal judges.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freedom of speech should be a right everywhere. If a person with drastically differing views from yours wants to speak, then let them. Even if said person has an intent to destroy a certain part of the government, they still have that right to speak their mind. It's when the speaking comes to the point of brain washing... Such as found in North Korea. People aren't stupid, maybe ignorant, but not stupid. Individuals have the capacity to discern right from wrong, so whether people believe someone is a different question.

tl;dr: There is freedom of speech for a reason. Use it, and don't abuse it, because it may still be taken away.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sterl500 said:
Freedom of speech should be a right everywhere. If a person with drastically differing views from yours wants to speak, then let them. Even if said person has an intent to destroy a certain part of the government.
And thus the monster raving luny party

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I totally agree with everyone who says fascists should be allowed a platform to speak, although I'm not sure some of you know what a fascist is properly. I despise them myself, but I'll defend their right to spew their nonsense out. The best way to counter them is to protest peacefully and educate people against the lies they use as propaganda. One of the problems that would arise if they were banned is they'd create a counter-culture. People would follow them simply because it felt like the rebellious thing to do, without actually realising all that would come with a fascist government.

shyam513

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
0ddity said:
shyam513 said:
0ddity said:

Its pretty simple, if your speech consists of telling people to kill or hurt someone, or explicit instructions on how to do so, that would constitute facilitation, like the recent case of the radio host convicted for something he said on his radio show about killing federal judges.

The thing is though, A facists speech does not have to incite violence to hurt another's feelings or lower their self esteem, maybe even to worry for their safety. Do you think that A facist's right to Free speech is greater than a person's right not to live in this kind of mental state?

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
The thing is though, A facists speech does not have to incite violence to hurt another's feelings or lower their self esteem, maybe even to worry for their safety. Do you think that A facist's right to Free speech is greater than a person's right not to live in this kind of mental state?

Yes. If someone's speech is going to be hurtful for you, don't listen to it. Theoretically, everyone's speech is going to be offensive to somebody somewhere, or hurt their feelings. That's just too bad.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
0ddity said:
Yes. If someone's speech is going to be hurtful for you, don't listen to it. Theoretically, everyone's speech is going to be offensive to somebody somewhere, or hurt their feelings. That's just too bad.
True. Fascists may find our speech offensive.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
ether2802 said:
hell no, for what they have to say, it is better to not have them spreading their word around...!!
wink.gif

But isn't it better to have them doing it out in the open so it can be combated rather than underground where it's hard to keep an eye on?

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Everybody has a right to speak and express their views, but the fact that those views do not necessarily need to be accepted must be understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat