Temp Debates #8

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tigris, Sep 6, 2010.

?

Should fascists be given a platform to speak? ~Suggested by TrolleyDave

1. By posting my argument below, I say yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. By posting me argument below, I say no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2010

Temp Debates #8 by tigris at 8:09 AM (2,211 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. tigris
    OP

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    prowlyprowlyprowlyprowlyprowlyprowlyprowly

Debate 8 Should fascists be given a platform to speak? ~Suggested by TrolleyDave ​
    How to debate
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Previous Debates

Future Debates

Description:

Fascists. Hitler was one. Nick Griffin (non-family guy one) is another. Should they be allowed to give their views and run campaigns? Free speech is a law and is allegedly carried out - it's a free country, but should fascists be allowed to speak their free speech? You decide. Next debate: SUGGESTION THREAD.

3707 -t8, uC TrolleyDave,FAST, Blood Fetish stat G

2. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    ahhh, i was still replying to the previous debate thread but apparently it's locked now... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    The probem then becomes, who decides what a fascist is? I would say George W Bush is one. Let him speak, fine, but when it comes to letting him interfere in the governments of other countries, well, that's not his place to do so. America voted for him, that is where his domain should begin and end.

So, to summaraize, I say, speaking is OK.
    Foreign invasion is not.

4. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    All fascists should be allowed to speak, even if their views are horrible and restricting others the freedom to speak, most fascists we hear about are in politics and if you want a fascist government then vote for one

5. 0ddity

Member 0ddity GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    If you say no, then you're on the road to facsist yourself. Everyone should have the right to speak, no matter how distasteful their speech. Unless the speech incites or facilitates violence, nobody should be silenced or prosecuted for what they say.

6. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with 0ddity. It's best to let them speak, so that you know what they're thinking of, but if their ideas and views on things are too radical, they should not be given any power.

It would also give you the option to change their minds, whereas if they don't say anything, you woulldn't know about them and you wouldn't be able to convince them that your ideas are just better.

7. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    i do agree that the right to self-expression should not be oppressed. however, it is a well-known fact that sometimes, all it takes is one spark, a catalyst, for lack of better term, for everything to go to hell in a hand basket. sometimes, if we give them a voice, they will come in hordes, just like nazi germany (at least that's what nat geo says, hitler just started as an outspoken nobody). if it would help save democracy, heck, even save one person from suffering, would it be too much a price to pay to cut off a man's right to express himself? surely one would not choose the greater of the two evils?

8. shyam513

Member shyam513 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    That is a point, but then again - how do you decide what kinda speech "facilitates Violence?" I don't think letting Facist's say whatever they want on live television, radio, ect is a good idea. If a facist begins propogating their hatred against another race, gender, culture or whatever, how is that going to make a person from that group who is listening at the time feel? It would understandably make them scared and upset, to listen to someone demeaning them. And, in my opinion, nobody's right to free speech is greater than one person's right not to live in fear.

9. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I couldn't agree more.

10. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    You don't need to listen to fascists' bullshit talk.

11. 0ddity

Canada
    Its pretty simple, if your speech consists of telling people to kill or hurt someone, or explicit instructions on how to do so, that would constitute facilitation, like the recent case of the radio host convicted for something he said on his radio show about killing federal judges.

12. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Freedom of speech should be a right everywhere. If a person with drastically differing views from yours wants to speak, then let them. Even if said person has an intent to destroy a certain part of the government, they still have that right to speak their mind. It's when the speaking comes to the point of brain washing... Such as found in North Korea. People aren't stupid, maybe ignorant, but not stupid. Individuals have the capacity to discern right from wrong, so whether people believe someone is a different question.

tl;dr: There is freedom of speech for a reason. Use it, and don't abuse it, because it may still be taken away.

13. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    And thus the monster raving luny party

14. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I totally agree with everyone who says fascists should be allowed a platform to speak, although I'm not sure some of you know what a fascist is properly. I despise them myself, but I'll defend their right to spew their nonsense out. The best way to counter them is to protest peacefully and educate people against the lies they use as propaganda. One of the problems that would arise if they were banned is they'd create a counter-culture. People would follow them simply because it felt like the rebellious thing to do, without actually realising all that would come with a fascist government.

15. shyam513

Member shyam513 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The thing is though, A facists speech does not have to incite violence to hurt another's feelings or lower their self esteem, maybe even to worry for their safety. Do you think that A facist's right to Free speech is greater than a person's right not to live in this kind of mental state?

16. 0ddity

Canada
    Yes. If someone's speech is going to be hurtful for you, don't listen to it. Theoretically, everyone's speech is going to be offensive to somebody somewhere, or hurt their feelings. That's just too bad.

17. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    hell no, for what they have to say, it is better to not have them spreading their word around...!! [​IMG]

18. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    True. Fascists may find our speech offensive.

19. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    But isn't it better to have them doing it out in the open so it can be combated rather than underground where it's hard to keep an eye on?

20. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Everybody has a right to speak and express their views, but the fact that those views do not necessarily need to be accepted must be understood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.