Hacking teh damn dpad

Should the dpad be higher to offer a more relaxed and less tiresome experience?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

acrocosm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
myhandty3.jpg

see my hand? it's relatively small mesuring 17cm. Yet i find the position of the dpad too tiresome. After some time of playing it starts aching a bit and becomes stiff. Especially with games like castlevania that need constant and fast movements ¬_¬"

i think it should be higher. there is space to do so.
like that v where it is at the same height as the x,y,a,b, buttons

ndshighdpadln0.jpg

acrocosm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
too big and ugly
when it first came out i went straight to to stores to buy one but when i saw it i just couldn't bear it's uglines and how cheap it looked like so i went back home disapointed and decided i'd wait for a redisign.

i was sure they would make one and they did ^^

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know it's a little unrelated but I used to have a face plate for GBA and the plate not only protected the system from stratches, it converts the d-pad into an analog stick and makes the A-B buttons a little easier to press.

Maybe you could find such a product for DS too, but I'm not sure..

IainDS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know it's a little unrelated but I used to have a face plate for GBA and the plate not only protected the system from stratches, it converts the d-pad into an analog stick and makes the A-B buttons a little easier to press.

Maybe you could find such a product for DS too, but I'm not sure..

I remember seeing one of those. Not sure if there's one for the DS.

acrocosm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i had no such problems with the sp. it was high enough for me to be ok. i can't remember how it was with the gba but i think it ws better. i still have one around to test but that would be pointless and i'm lazy atm
happy.gif

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I've said many times, when I had a Phat I was a snaking God, but when I got my Lite, I turned into a snaking chump.

The battles would always end up with me in the hospital with a full hand cast yelling at the nurse to "turn up the volume on the T.V. before I Blue-Shell your ass".

acrocosm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
they probably wanted it to look as sexy as possible and didn't care much about ergonomy. personaly i would like *all* buttons higher up and i would place the "start", "select" buttons one on each site. ..i'll make a mock up after dinner...

but then there would be a lot of "unused" space and it wouldn't look as good

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
nah in general japanese are small aren't they? yeah i agree they should have made the D pad slightly bigger imo. strangely i find the D pad on the gba sp much more comfortable.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, like it where it is. It's the bottom corners of the lite digging into my palm that gets me, would be nicer if it was rounded off a bit more.

acrocosm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
there >
perfectergonomyndslitesjr2.jpg

all buttons moved upwards and surround added ^^
omit the surround if you dont like how it looks like

QUOTE said:
It's the bottom corners of the lite digging into my palm that gets me

if the buttons are placed like that the corners would be on a different position on your palm and wouldn't digg taht much. i also have that problem..

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a set of grips for my lite. It's not pretty, but it cut down on the hand cramps quite a bit. I got the ones called the Swing-Grips from Gamestop. Not sure if they still carry them or not anymore. They don't list them on their website last I checked, nor have I been in a Gamestop since I got flashcarts. Best Buy had them at one time too.

DSLopen.jpg

They give you that extra space along the sides that really help make holding the DS more comfortable.

It also has a space underneath where the DS sits for 3 games and an extra stylus. When you have your DS closed, it serves as sort of a case. No ports are blocked other than the stylus in the DS. The power button switch becomes a slide switch along the right side of the Swing-Grips. Each of the cart holders inside it can hold 2 full sized SD's (or the converters
wink.gif
). Also, since the case bulks up the system a bit, normal sized GBA carts don't appear to stick out as bad as they did. The case is plastic, but the area where the DS sits in is a rubberized material that wont scratch up your DS. As far as I know, the grips only come in white.

It works for me....aesthetics don't matter to me, just functionality.

DSLclosed.jpg

DSgripsINSIDE.jpg

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat