teh damn dpad

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by acrocosm, Jul 22, 2007.

?

Should the dpad be higher to offer a more relaxed and less tiresome experience?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. acrocosm
    OP

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    [​IMG]

see my hand? it's relatively small mesuring 17cm. Yet i find the position of the dpad too tiresome. After some time of playing it starts aching a bit and becomes stiff. Especially with games like castlevania that need constant and fast movements ¬_¬"

i think it should be higher. there is space to do so.
    like that v where it is at the same height as the x,y,a,b, buttons

[​IMG]

2. xcalibur

xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

Jun 2, 2007
    Sacred Heart
    Get a phat

3. acrocosm
    OP

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    too big and ugly
    when it first came out i went straight to to stores to buy one but when i saw it i just couldn't bear it's uglines and how cheap it looked like so i went back home disapointed and decided i'd wait for a redisign.

i was sure they would make one and they did ^^

4. Icarus

Icarus fire walk with me

Feb 3, 2006
    United States
    Big Appleu
    I know it's a little unrelated but I used to have a face plate for GBA and the plate not only protected the system from stratches, it converts the d-pad into an analog stick and makes the A-B buttons a little easier to press.

Maybe you could find such a product for DS too, but I'm not sure..

5. IainDS

IainDS GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    My friend gets cramp in his hand but I've never had a problem :|

6. IainDS

IainDS GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I remember seeing one of those. Not sure if there's one for the DS.

7. acrocosm
    OP

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    i had no such problems with the sp. it was high enough for me to be ok. i can't remember how it was with the gba but i think it ws better. i still have one around to test but that would be pointless and i'm lazy atm [​IMG]

8. [M]artin

[M]artin .

Nov 7, 2006
    United States
    As I've said many times, when I had a Phat I was a snaking God, but when I got my Lite, I turned into a snaking chump.

The battles would always end up with me in the hospital with a full hand cast yelling at the nurse to "turn up the volume on the T.V. before I Blue-Shell your ass".

9. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    my hand is around 16-17 centimeters and i have a problem with the DS lite D pad aswell, maybe they designed them for small japanese hands?

10. acrocosm
    OP

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    they probably wanted it to look as sexy as possible and didn't care much about ergonomy. personaly i would like *all* buttons higher up and i would place the "start", "select" buttons one on each site. ..i'll make a mock up after dinner...

but then there would be a lot of "unused" space and it wouldn't look as good

11. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    nah in general japanese are small aren't they? yeah i agree they should have made the D pad slightly bigger imo. strangely i find the D pad on the gba sp much more comfortable.

12. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    Nope, like it where it is. It's the bottom corners of the lite digging into my palm that gets me, would be nicer if it was rounded off a bit more.

13. bobrules

bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 20, 2006
    Canada
    Toronto
    You see, the DS is designed for people under 18.

14. acrocosm
    OP

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    there > [​IMG]

all buttons moved upwards and surround added ^^
    omit the surround if you dont like how it looks like

if the buttons are placed like that the corners would be on a different position on your palm and wouldn't digg taht much. i also have that problem..

15. acrocosm
    OP

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    under 18s did not had a problem with SP that had more space ...i think

16. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I bought a set of grips for my lite. It's not pretty, but it cut down on the hand cramps quite a bit. I got the ones called the Swing-Grips from Gamestop. Not sure if they still carry them or not anymore. They don't list them on their website last I checked, nor have I been in a Gamestop since I got flashcarts. Best Buy had them at one time too.

[​IMG]

They give you that extra space along the sides that really help make holding the DS more comfortable.

It also has a space underneath where the DS sits for 3 games and an extra stylus. When you have your DS closed, it serves as sort of a case. No ports are blocked other than the stylus in the DS. The power button switch becomes a slide switch along the right side of the Swing-Grips. Each of the cart holders inside it can hold 2 full sized SD's (or the converters [​IMG] ). Also, since the case bulks up the system a bit, normal sized GBA carts don't appear to stick out as bad as they did. The case is plastic, but the area where the DS sits in is a rubberized material that wont scratch up your DS. As far as I know, the grips only come in white.

It works for me....aesthetics don't matter to me, just functionality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    hmm not bad i guess, i don't know anywhere where i can buy this or something similar in the uk though?

18. theorgan

theorgan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2006
    United States
    nawhfuk
    oooooo don't take that out of the house. someone might break it for being so damn ugly.

19. xcalibur

xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

Jun 2, 2007
    Sacred Heart
  20. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    i wouldn't use deal extreme their shipping to the UK is far too slow, (heard far too much negative feedback from them) i'm gonna look on play asia i think. and i wish i had it in black, also what is that second port next to the charger port on the back?