Techland says Dying Light 2 is planned to be a cross-gen title on the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 26, 2019.

Front-page
    UIKfwL4.

Whenever a console generation comes to an end and new systems are released, high-budget AAA games still manage to release on the previous generation's hardware, mostly due to the larger install base. The likes of Destiny 1, Metal Gear Solid V, and Titanfall all released for both the past and present iterations of Xbox and PlayStation's respective consoles at the time. Now, as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 reach their twilight years, with "next-gen" discussions and rumors picking up, it looks like it might be time for developers to release cross-generation games once more. Techland Publishing, the team in charge of next year's Dying Light 2 appears to have plans to release the game for not only just PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, but also whatever the future may bring.

In an interview, a company representative stated, "Techland always has an eye on the latest new toys. The plan since the beginning of production has been to make Dying Light 2 a cross-generational title", giving the impression that we might see a staggered release for Dying Light 2. Currently, the game is scheduled to release in the first half of 2020, which is a bit earlier than Microsoft's Project Scarlett's "Holiday 2020" window. And at the time of writing, we only know for certain that the "PlayStation 5" will not release before the end of April 2020. If Techland does manage to carry out their plan, that means we're either going to see a delay on Dying Light 2, or a "definitive" release a few months later.

:arrow: Source

NoNAND and CaptainSodaPop like this.
    Discussion (10 replies)
  1. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Okay. Is Scarlet even next gen? Just sounds like an even more powerful Xbox one x...

scroeffie1984 likes this.
  2. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Well, Xbox ONE X could be treated as a cross gen console. Basically we didn't need those stupid revisions.

Now the next won't look as impressive!

Memoir likes this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Erm...yes? It's not going to be an Xbox One revision, it's a completely separate console? No idea what makes you think it wouldn't be.

As to the news, makes sense since the release date is so close to the next gen consoles, I imagine most of the bigger third party games that have a mid-late 2020 release date for the PS4/Xbone will also have "definitive" versions for the PS5/Scarlett anyways. I just hope the third party launch titles for next gen are actually new games, and not re-releases of old stuff.

4. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Great news for ps4 users and ps5 users - anyone not pld the first one buy it now and pref on the pro the graphics much clearer

5. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Probably because of how it was announced? At least the compatibility. It wasn't a straight "this is a new console" announcement.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    ? They literally called it a next generation console in their reveal trailer. Is that not straightforward enough for you? It's not a revision, it's a new console.

BEACHBUM likes this.
  7. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    LOL, whuuuut?

8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Do they at least have a PS5.prototype to work with? Because otherwise is just talking.

9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    What the Heck are you on about course they do dying light 2 is going to be a contender best game for 2020 for ps5

10. aeolus426

aeolus426 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2010
    United States
    California
    I call bullshit, watch it get cancelled on PS4 and xbox1 just like the first game was cancelled on ps3 and 360. Still waiting on hellraid...