Team behind Sonic movie to “fix” character design following negative reception

F0C1EBE5-3D8C-4E4C-B99F-5299BDA6BCEA.jpeg

If you haven’t already seen the memes, watched the trailer, or heard the collective horrified gasps echoed throughout the internet, in reaction to the trailer for the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie, then, well, you still probably wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the reception to Sonic’s design was...less than stellar. In fact, the director of the movie, Jeff Fowler, made an official statement today regarding the look of the character.

Thank you for the support. And the criticism. The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen. Everyone at Paramount & Sega are fully committed to making this character the BEST he can be...

Changes will apparently be made, though, what exactly those changes will entail is unknown at this point. Seeing as the film will be hitting theaters this November, that doesn’t leave too much time to fix things, but at least the criticism has been addressed. Sonic the Hedgehog will be released in cinemas worldwide this November 8th. If you want something a bit more traditional in the meantime, you can check out the recently uploaded part 2 of the official Team Sonic Racing: Overdrive animation.

:arrow: Source

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A part of me thinks they did this deliberately and the trailer is intentionally terrible to get people talking while all along the one with the "fixed" release is already finished and ready. Then again, if he's telling the truth and they are fixing it, I don't want to imagine the work the animators have to do when the movie is 6 months away from release.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Curious to see what they are going to do about the movie soundtrack. So much goodness to be achieved my revamping and remixing original soundtracks from Sonic games... But no! They had to go for that OST music from Green Hill zone "Gangsta's Paradise".
thats only the trailer though

Reactions: KingVamp

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keep your expectations in check considering the movie releases in November. There's only so much they can do in 6 months.

I'm expecting some minor alterations to the face such as bigger eyes, less pronounced lips and teeth etc. which is kind of worrying considering the human proportions are the biggest issue I think.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Keep your expectations in check considering the movie releases in November. There's only so much they can do in 6 months.

I'm expecting some minor alterations to the face such as bigger eyes, less pronounced lips and teeth etc. which is kind of worrying considering the human proportions are the biggest issue I think.
Yeah, the proportions are the main issue here, followed by the facial expressions. In the shots where he's smirking like he does in the games and it's a head on shot while he's running or the camera is above him, it actually doesn't look that terrible. When the camera is high up like that, the perspective makes his proportions look a lot more reasonable, since they're smaller on the screen. Normally though, hoo boy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...