Tanglewood launches today for the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive

ZlYpWxz.png

No, you didn't accidentally use a time machine to travel back to 1993, but there is indeed an original SEGA Genesis game releasing today. Titled Tanglewood, it's a puzzle platforming game inspired by the likes of classic games like Aladdin and Sonic. The developer, a British studio called Big Evil Corporation, didn't just model this game like a "retro-styled" indie, but actually went through the effort of using development technology that was only around during the era of the Genesis/Mega Drive. You can purchase a cartridge for original hardware for around £54, or you can pick it up on Steam for £13.95. If you get the game on PC, you'll be provided with not only a Steam copy, but a ROM file of the game, if you'd like to play it on an emulator or flashcart, as well.

:arrow: Steam Page

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: XDel

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Providing a rom with the steam version is pretty cool. It means you can pretty much run the game on any emulator playing potato you've already got.

(but indeed : these specs are pretty strange. I can't buy imagine that's steam current lowest pre-built setting)

Gold_Experience

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, you didn't accidentally use a time machine to travel back to 1993, but there is indeed an original SEGA Genesis game releasing today. Titled Tanglewood, it's a puzzle platforming game inspired by the likes of classic games like Aladdin and Sonic. The developer, a British studio called Big Evil Corporation, didn't just model this game like a "retro-styled" indie, but actually went through the effort of using development technology that was only around during the era of the Genesis/Mega Drive. You can purchase a cartridge for original hardware for around £54, or you can pick it up on Steam for £13.95. If you get the game on PC, you'll be provided with not only a Steam copy, but a ROM file of the game, if you'd like to play it on an emulator or flashcart, as well.

:arrow: Steam Page
Where do we buy Genesis version

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd love to buy this for my Megadrive, but I really can't justify the expense right now. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there's still stock when I can afford it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be another 'Pier Solar' situation and I'll be kicking myself for eternity.

Is making videogames for defunct consoles legal? Can I make a PS1 videogame and sell it?

It's not illegal. If it were no one would be legally able to make flash cards.
Yes, you could make a PS1 game and sell it... if you could replicate the playstations copy protection - if not, you're just selling a cd-r which would only be useful to someone with a modded console.
New Dreamcast games are constantly being released, but they don't use Sega's proprietary GD-Rom format - they rely on the mil-cd exploit.
New games are being made for pretty much every legacy system. This includes systems you wouldn't suspect would be getting homebrew cartridge releases such as the Virtual Boy and the Vectrex.

Where do we buy Genesis version

https://tanglewoodgame.com/pre-order.html

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Song of storms

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Too bad emuparadise is not an option anymore... Would have been so much easier. ( Don't jump on me, that's a joke, guys! ;)) The game looks good, I would definitely have considered it back in the Genesis era. Wishing success to the developer.

D

Deleted User

Behind the Scenes footage of Tanglewood for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.
Developer Matt Phillips showcases original devkit, and talks about how the game came to be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks