Tactical RPG inspired by Advance Wars, Warborn, gets launch trailer

While it could be a very long while until we see Nintendo return to the Advance Wars franchise, indie titles can help fill the void, such as the case with Tiny Metal, WarGroove, or Into the Breach, each of which took varying levels of inspiration from Nintendo's series. The same could be said of Warborn, which just launched today, for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Steam. A new launch trailer was published to show some of the gameplay, where you control mecha suit-equipped soldiers with different strengths and strategically move them about a gridded battlefield. Currently, the game is digital-only, but publisher PQube will be releasing a retail version in the coming months.

D

Deleted User

There's a lot of games that have gameplay damn close to Advance Wars, but none have the charm that the Advance Wars series developed via it's characters and aesthetic.

This looks more like an homage to Military Madness than Advance Wars.
I agree. This looks closer to Military Madness for the PC engine.

Eriatarka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a lot of games that have gameplay damn close to Advance Wars, but none have the charm that the Advance Wars series developed via it's characters and aesthetic.

This looks more like an homage to Military Madness than Advance Wars.
Exactly my thoughts when I see these type of games.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As interesting as Tactical games are, I really dislike them for the stories they feature. Shining force was simple and easy to follow. It was about a team of heroes trying to save the world from evil ancient magic. None of that "Take over countries using corruption and politics stuff" like final fantasy tactics. Not only that the game wasn't too complicated to play. But I guess that's also too boring for some people. Also maybe is just me, but think some games don't allow leaving the battle, or may be hard to "grind" levels. But I guess the point is to use your brain more than mindless overpowerment. :ninja:

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As interesting as Tactical games are, I really dislike them for the stories they feature. Shining force was simple and easy to follow. It was about a team of heroes trying to save the world from evil ancient magic. None of that "Take over countries using corruption and politics stuff" like final fantasy tactics. Not only that the game wasn't too complicated to play. But I guess that's also too boring for some people. Also maybe is just me, but think some games don't allow leaving the battle, or may be hard to "grind" levels. But I guess the point is to use your brain more than mindless overpowerment. :ninja:
Depends on the game... FF Tactics (and most other 'Tactics' style strategy RPG's) rely on levelling and grinding, but something like Advance Wars had no levelling as such and was far more reliant on working out the correct strategy to beat a level. The Fire Emblem games are almost a hybrid of those two styles of stategy games, but I always saw Fire Emblem as being inferior to the purity of the simple gameplay mechanics that gave Advance Wars a surprisingly deep tactical element.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the game... FF Tactics (and most other 'Tactics' style strategy RPG's) rely on levelling and grinding, but something like Advance Wars had no levelling as such and was far more reliant on working out the correct strategy to beat a level. The Fire Emblem games are almost a hybrid of those two styles of stategy games, but I always saw Fire Emblem as being inferior to the purity of the simple gameplay mechanics that gave Advance Wars a surprisingly deep tactical element.
I always thought people prefer fire emblem because it was more challenging. I never liked that "Don't let your party die, they are gone forever" thing cause it makes future battles harder. In a game where I doubt level up for the sake of "Because i want to be stronger and prepare for the worst" without using too much of your brain to come up with potential win plan.

The idea of tactical game feels like a puzzle game to me. If it didn't have the variables like levels or stats and augmented equipments, you just control a unit of people and "Find a solution to solve the puzzle" kind of game that doesn't seem fun to play most of the time in a video game setting. Without the RPG like elements, it makes it more difficult to win by narrowing choices. But if not implemented correctly to be fair or balanced, it just feels like more work to win by doing obsessive level grinding instead of just getting enough to move on as soon as possible.

RPG is already a complicated mess, and not all games make them that way. It's already a game about strategy and tactics. But making it so the player has to carefully plan out every move like in fire emblem and final fantasy tactics, add more levels of effort that may sometimes feel like work and less fun. Combined with plots that are already complex and could be boring like political takeover of governments like Final fantasy tactics, feels like a heavy load to of a genre to jump into. Least in my opinion. :blink:

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also don't see any resemblance. If this game is inspired by Advance Wars, you can pretty much say the same thing just about most turn-grid-based strategy games.

I would say Wargroove would be a good example of a Advance War inspired indie game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +1