Hacking system menu doesn't load all the time

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the guide in the "Modify ANY Wii 4.3 & below" sticky on here to mod my wii but I'm having some problems. I bought the wii used so I don't know what its original firmware was but when I got it had 3.3u on it. After installing HBC and Bootmii I made a nand backup like it says in the tutorial and then continued on. After finishing the modding process the system menu would only load up about 10% of the time and the rest of time I would just get a black screen and my wiimote would shut off after a few seconds. Priiloader worked fine, as did bootmii, but trying to reach the system menu from them had the same results. I put the backup of the nand I made back on and everything worked fine so I tried again with the same thing happening. I rebooted the nand again and tried a different guide this time (http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/60921-guide-softmod-any-wii.html) in hopes that it would fix it but still the same.
The few times the system menu does load up everything works fine, but it doesn't happen frequently enough to make the wii usable by any means. Do you guys have any ideas what the problem might be and maybe know of a way to fix it?

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll keep an eye on this cause i'm having the same problem but mostly when i'm coming from a hb app to the wii menu or using crazy intro trying to access the wii menu. For me I'm just using the baisic "NO updates Disc Wifi" Any Region Channel" No Copy Save Protection". Like I said I'll keep an eye on this topic for now.

I should note and this may not be your case, but if I hold the power button and turn the wii off like that it and then turn it back on it will work again. Only sometimes does it do what you describe.

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Block Disc Updates, Block Online Updates, Move Disc Channel, Remove NoCopy Save File Protection, and Region Free EVERYTHING are enabled.
Replace Health Screen with Backmenu, Auto-Press A at Health Screen, No System Menu Background Music, No System Menu sounds AT ALL, Recovery Mode (DISABLE below hack first), Recovery Mode press Dpad-R on GC pad 4P, Force Wifi Connection Test Failure, Blackscreen at Wii System Menu startup!, and Freeze Wii at Healthscreen are all disabled.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You both should consider disabling "Remove NoCopy Save File Protection" (which is pointless as it only works one way) and the region free hacks. Too many hacks, especially combined with the region free ones, can cause system instability. I can't guarantee that it will fix your system (if it doesn't there are other things to try), but it's worth a shot.

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just disabled them and I still get the black screen, although it seem less frequent now. I tried turning it on and off 20 times just now to see, and it worked fine 14 times and failed 6 times, and when it did fail it only took 1 or 2 resets to get the system menu to load instead of the 10 or 11 it would take before.
Thanks for the advice and I would appreciate any other ideas you might have to get the problem resolved all the way.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
rion999 said:
I just disabled them and I still get the black screen, although it seem less frequent now. I tried turning it on and off 20 times just now to see, and it worked fine 14 times and failed 6 times, and when it did fail it only took 1 or 2 resets to get the system menu to load instead of the 10 or 11 it would take before.
Thanks for the advice and I would appreciate any other ideas you might have to get the problem resolved all the way.
Try disabling all of the hacks, see if that works, then tell me what version of Priiloader you have. If it works and it is Priiloader's fault, we can try a reinstall and/or a custom System Menu.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you get the black screen after the health screen you probably need to try the mailbrick fix or backup your saves and do a format from the settings.

How much crap is installed on the wii? Channels, saves, etc.

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
Try disabling all of the hacks, see if that works, then tell me what version of Priiloader you have. If it works and it is Priiloader's fault, we can try a reinstall and/or a custom System Menu.
Disabling all the hacks didn't change much, it failed 7 times out of 20 after that. The bottom of my priiloader says
IOS v60
Systemmenu v449
priiloader v0.4 (r78)
Priiloader is a mod of Preloader 0.30

QUOTE(mauifrog @ Jun 9 2011, 06:32 AM) If you get the black screen after the health screen you probably need to try the mailbrick fix or backup your saves and do a format from the settings.

The health screen isn't even showing up when it doesn't work, just a constant black screen after powering it on. Any time it reaches the health screen it works just fine. The channels on it are Disc Channel, Internet Channel, Store Channel, Mii Channel, Photo Channel, News Channel, Forcast Channel, and Homebrew Channel. The only saves on it are for the Internet Channel and the Homebrew Channel. It has 1906 blocks open.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You probably have a failing piece of hardware, not sure. Perhaps your bluetooth module is about to die. Hard to test something that does not happen all the time.

Try to only turn the wii on with the wiimote. Perhaps at some point the wiimote will not turn on the wii. If that happens you should get the black screen and savemiifrii/bootmii/priiloader should work. If that is the case I would say your bt module only works when it wants to. If you can power the wii on with the wiimote and get a black screen, it could be something else, or it could still be the bt module if savemiifrii/priiloader/bootmii works. Hard to say.

If it had anything to do with your softmod I would expect it to black screen all the time, not just when it is pissed off.

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mauifrog said:
You probably have a failing piece of hardware, not sure. Perhaps your bluetooth module is about to die. Hard to test something that does not happen all the time.

Try to only turn the wii on with the wiimote. Perhaps at some point the wiimote will not turn on the wii. If that happens you should get the black screen and savemiifrii/bootmii/priiloader should work. If that is the case I would say your bt module only works when it wants to. If you can power the wii on with the wiimote and get a black screen, it could be something else, or it could still be the bt module if savemiifrii/priiloader/bootmii works. Hard to say.

If it had anything to do with your softmod I would expect it to black screen all the time, not just when it is pissed off.
I've been using the wiimote as my main way of turning the wii on and off. It has always worked so far. Here is a full recounting of what happens when I turn the wii. I press the power button(on wiimote or console, either do the same thing), the power light comes on, the blue drive light blinks 3 times(one long blink and two short rapid blinks), if the health screen shows up the system works fine after that, if it doesn't then it just stays at a black screen. If I get the black screen I can still link my wiimote to the system and turn it off with it, or I can use the power button on the console. Turning it off and then on again can sometimes get it to work, as does pressing the reset button.

The only thing I think might be out of the ordinary is that when I use the wiimote's power button to turn the wii on, the blue lights on the wiimote blink once and then the wiimote turns off, if I want to use it I have to press a button on it(any button works not just the power button) afterwards to turn it on again. This happens whether the wii works or not though, and I don't have another wii to check if this might just be how wiimotes operate normally.

I know it could be a problem with the hardware, but it doesn't seem likely to me since I can put the nand backup that I made from before back on the wii and it works perfectly, both times I did that to try the modding process over again I never got the black screen before I had put the softmod back on, and when I reloaded it the second time I tried turning the wii on multiple times to see if I would get it.

JonnyPoots

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your wii is anything like mine, try popping the sd card out before start-up. sounds silly? it is. i don't use ftpii, so all it took to find out why my wii would only start up 1/6 of the time was forgetting to put it back. i too love using the wii remote to turn her on (that little white bitch) but i no longer have that luxury. i theorize that my wii is getting lost in my 32g sd card (kodak - i want to blame the brand but i have no proof), because of this theory i never pop it out with the wii on its 'no start-up/ black screen' (fear of data loss). try it... i hope it helps.
(strangely enough, when i scoured the webnet, all i could find were accounts of wiis refusing to turn on -edit: start up- WITHOUT the sd card in. to no longer be alone, i would love it if this was the same problem you are having)

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
If you get the black screen after the health screen you probably need to try the mailbrick fix or backup your saves and do a format from the settings.

This is when I get the black screen most of time. When I say most of the time it doesnt happen too often but this is when it mostly occurs other then that it occurs when exiting a game to the system or really anytime i try to access the system menu LoL but only less then often and as stated I really dont have much problem turning my Wii of and then back on.

Channels I have installed:
  • CFGv9 by XFlak,
  • Uneek,
  • CODBO game FW,
  • MyMENUIFY FULL CHANNEL,
  • WII RADIO,
  • HOMEBREW BROWSWER,
  • WIIMC,
  • HBC,
  • SAVEGAMEMANAGRGX,
  • WII MOD,
  • MARIO WARS FW,
  • NETFLIX,
  • WIXPLORER,
  • INTERNET CHANNEL,
  • YOUTUBE CHANELL,
  • FACEBOOK CHANNEL,
  • MII CHANNEL
  • also have sm4.2u green theme
Hacks I Currently Have Enabled with Priiloader v0.7 (r138) using old hacks.ini
  • Block Disc Updates
  • Block Online Updates
  • No-Delete HAXX, JODI, DVDX, DISC, DISK, RZDx

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Just a shot in the dark, but by chance, do you use USB Loader GX??
After my first attempt to softmod, I put Configurable USB Loader on it, but since I've reloaded my backup nand and retried twice I haven't got any homebrew on my wii or sd card aside from what is found in the tutorial.

QUOTE(JonnyPoots @ Jun 9 2011, 01:59 PM) If your wii is anything like mine, try popping the sd card out before start-up. sounds silly? it is. i don't use ftpii, so all it took to find out why my wii would only start up 1/6 of the time was forgetting to put it back. i too love using the wii remote to turn her on (that little white bitch) but i no longer have that luxury. i theorize that my wii is getting lost in my 32g sd card (kodak - i want to blame the brand but i have no proof), because of this theory i never pop it out with the wii on its 'no start-up/ black screen' (fear of data loss). try it... i hope it helps.
(strangely enough, when i scoured the webnet, all i could find were accounts of wiis refusing to turn on -edit: start up- WITHOUT the sd card in. to no longer be alone, i would love it if this was the same problem you are having)
Trying this helped out a lot, I only got the black screen once out of 20 attempts. I'm using a 2gb Kingston microSD card in a Kingston microSD to SD converter.

Thanks for the help, I'm happy with getting the failure rate down to 5% and am probably just gonna start using the wii and put up with black screen when it happens, but I'll keep an eye on here too if you guys want to throw any more ideas out that fix it.

Edit: I just went back into priiloader to turn back on the no update hacks and that made me start getting the black screen again. So as it stands I have to have no hacks enabled and the SD card popped out, if I want it to work most of the time.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
rion999 said:
Edit: I just went back into priiloader to turn back on the no update hacks and that made me start getting the black screen again. So as it stands I have to have no hacks enabled and the SD card popped out, if I want it to work most of the time.
If it is Priiloader (right now it could still be coincidence though), you could use a custom System Menu to avoid updates without Priiloader. Following mauifrog's Softmod ANY Wii guide would install it. That is just a future possibility though, so don't do it just yet.

Why don't you run an error check on your sd card. Put your SD card in the computer, go to Computer (or My Computer on XP and below), right click on the SD card, and click Properties. From there choose the Tools tab, select Error Checking (might have another name depending on the OS). Choose Start and wait for it to finish.

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ran an error check on my SD card and it didn't turn up anything. I did it twice. The first time I did it with no options selected and it finished in less than a second, so I went back and ran it again with Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors selected(the only two options there were) and it took a bit longer, but still didn't say anything about finding errors.

JonnyPoots

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
glad that helped.
i too have tried error checking my sd card. nothing much came of it, except this one time: i had left it in while my computer was rebooting and it went into chkdsk!? only for the sd card, and it took forever. when it was done i was missing two homebrews and it magically worked for a whole week (or so), then i was back to popping the card out again.

rion999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got 7 failures out of 20 with a freshly formated fat32 SD card, no files on it or anything, I formated it and put it straight into the wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far