SysDVR - Stream gameplay directly to a pc

SysDVR
Stream/record gameplay to a PC via USB or network.
upload_2019-10-21_9-21-20.png

Update: Version 5.0 has been released with low latency streaming, be sure to check it out on github.

This is an experimental sysmodule that allows capturing the running game output on a pc.
As this uses switch's built-in game recording feature it has the same limitations: 720p@30fps and only works on the games that enable it, but by sending the video to another device there's no time limit to the recording.

There are two modes: USB and Network, both work fine but USB is slightly better, at least compared to wifi, didn't try with a LAN adapter.
Players like mpv or vlc can play the stream directly so you can use any screen recording applications but it's also possible to write the stream directly to a file.
To use the USB version you need the UsbStream program you'll find on the github page, it's built using .NET 5 and works on both windows and linux, haven't tried mac but in theory it should work too.

You can see it in action in the two teasers i posted while working on it:

As you can see it's not meant for remote play, but it can work as a basic capture card, audio output is uncompressed so it can be useful for ripping OSTs .

Download and wall of text guide on github: https://github.com/exelix11/SysDVR/
To get notified of updates you can follow this thread or join my new discord server (i also have a twitter account where occasionally post development updates).

Please make sure to read the full readme before reporting issues as it explains the most common problems you may encounter.

Last edited by exelix11,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Now this is useful. Got a capture card myself but even so there are a few games that can only be played in handheld mode or that are much better played in handheld mode so it's still useful for those and most other people probably won't have a capture card laying around.
720p@30 isn't great but really any Switch game with advanced enough graphics that would benefit from a higher resolution are probably locked to 720p (or less) anyway. It's mostly simpler indie games and such that get the full 1080p@60. And 720p seems to be the standard for Twitch streaming still anyway.
Now, how long do you reckon until someone uses this to make a shiny hunting bot for Sword/Shield once they release? A week? 2 weeks? Probably not much more than that TBH :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Kepp getting this

C:\Users\X\Desktop\UsbStream>UsbStream video C:\Users\X\Desktop\mpv-x86_64-20181002\mpv audio C:\Users\\Desktop\mpv-x86_64-20181002\mpv
UsbStream - 1.0 by exelix
https://github.com/exelix11/SysDVR

Unhandled exception. System.Exception: C:\Users\\Desktop\mpv-x86_64-20181002\mpv is not a valid video mode
at UsbStream.Program.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<Main>g__ParseTargetArgs|0(Int32 baseIndex, IOutTarget& t)
at UsbStream.Program.Main(String[] args)

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok I managed to use it.
Now as I installed libusb-win32 and it probably replaced the previous driver, if I use nxmtp, it crash my switch :unsure:

That's not possible to keep both driver?

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
C:\Users\x\Desktop\UsbStream>UsbStream video mpv C:\Users\x\Desktop\UsbStream/mpv.com audio mpv C:\Users\x\Desktop\UsbStream/mpv.com

Unhandled exception. LibUsbDotNet.LibUsb.UsbException: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform
at LibUsbDotNet.LibUsb.ErrorExtensions.ThrowOnError(Error error)
at LibUsbDotNet.LibUsb.UsbDevice.Open()
at UsbStream.Program.GetDevice()

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok I managed to use it.
Now as I installed libusb-win32 and it probably replaced the previous driver, if I use nxmtp, it crash my switch :unsure:

Haven't tried nxmtp but In theory this shouldn't happen as i changed the device id. Will make some tests and let you know.
Did you try to launch nxmtp while the sysmodule was running ? That could have been the issue.

C:\Users\x\Desktop\UsbStream>UsbStream video mpv C:\Users\x\Desktop\UsbStream/mpv.com audio mpv C:\Users\x\Desktop\UsbStream/mpv.com

Unhandled exception. LibUsbDotNet.LibUsb.UsbException: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform
at LibUsbDotNet.LibUsb.ErrorExtensions.ThrowOnError(Error error)
at LibUsbDotNet.LibUsb.UsbDevice.Open()
at UsbStream.Program.GetDevice()
Windows version ? 64 or 32 bits ? Did you install the correct driver ?

Reactions: ELY_M

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Windows version ? 64 or 32 bits ? Did you install the correct driver ?

Was my bad, had the network atmosphere files instead of usb...

but now I get
Fatal error. System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

It sometimes pops up on the pc for a few seconds then exits

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Was my bad, had the network atmosphere files instead of usb...

but now I get
Fatal error. System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

It sometimes pops up on the pc for a few seconds then exits
Error from the usb lib, not sure what could be the issue, did you follow the driver setup guide ? Do you have some other sysmodule that could be using the usb port ?

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok I managed to use it.

Just tested goldleaf and exploring pc files via usb works fine, it also shows as a different device so ig it's working as expected, could be that nxmtp uses the same id ? that would be really lol.
You did not say if the sysmodule was running at the same time as nxmtp, in case it was try removing it and launching just nxmtp.

Yeah installed libusb win32, and dont think anything else is using it
Tbh not sure at this point, can you check in device management if this is what you see: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sysdvr-stream-gameplay-directly-to-a-pc.550616/#post-8832896
Also do a clean install of atmosphere to make sure you don't have other sysmodules using usb.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just tested goldleaf and exploring pc files via usb works fine, it also shows as a different device so ig it's working as expected, could be that nxmtp uses the same id ? that would be really lol.
You did not say if the sysmodule was running at the same time as nxmtp, in case it was try removing it and launching just nxmtp.

Tbh not sure at this point, can you check in device management if this is what you see: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sysdvr-stream-gameplay-directly-to-a-pc.550616/#post-8832896
Also do a clean install of atmosphere to make sure you don't have other sysmodules using usb.

Named the sane as yours, I have nothing else that's using usb

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

zadzig keeps saying that the switch's current driver is libusb0 no matter how many times i install libusb win32

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Named the sane as yours, I have nothing else that's using usb

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

zadzig keeps saying that the switch's current driver is libusb0 no matter how many times i install libusb win32
Is the sysmodule running while you do the zadig process ? If it isn't zadig will apply the driver to the default switch os descriptor rather than SysDVR's.
The sysmodule should launch around 20 seconds after boot, you can make sure it's the right one cause the PID is 3006

luk_pop

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gr8 tool, but not working at my PC :(

C:\test>run2

C:\test>UsbStream video mpv C:\test\mpv audio mpv C:\test\mpv

Unhandled exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (2): Nie można odnaleźć określonego pliku.
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at UsbStream.Program.StdInTarget..ctor(String path, String args)
at UsbStream.Program.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<Main>g__ParseTargetArgs|0(Int32 baseIndex, IOutTarget& t)

C:\test>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer