• Views 509,631
  • Replies 1,366
  • Likes 88

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a standard called USB PD that devices and chargers can use to recognise and request different power levels. Nintendo, helpfully, uses a non-standard variant of this standard.
I'm familiar with PD. Do we know what Nintendo does differently? I was checking with my power meter and was not seeing any differences between power draw using the Nintendo adapter or my other adapters. Playing BOTW in dock mode seemed to draw ~4.8 - 5.4 watts from the console and maybe another watt to power the dock depending on which one I was testing with.

And I guess more to the point, why do some clock settings require the Nintendo adapter when a standard USB PD adapter can easily supply the needed current.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I guess more to the point, why do some clock settings require the Nintendo adapter when a standard USB PD adapter can easily supply the needed current.
simply put resistors. people love to buy cheap cords that lack proper resistors and then wonder how it bricked their switch.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc switch specifically needs 15v 2.6a otherwise it’ll fallback to slower (~5w) charging, which sysclk won’t see as an “official” charger.
5w is not enough to support older Erista hardware at higher clocks (which in extreme cases, from personal observations, can hit upto almost 40w) so the limit is present.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc switch specifically needs 15v 2.6a otherwise it’ll fallback to slower (~5w) charging, which sysclk won’t see as an “official” charger.
5w is not enough to support older Erista hardware at higher clocks (which in extreme cases, from personal observations, can hit upto almost 40w) so the limit is present.
So does this mean that using a 45+ watt PD charger and cable capable of 3 amp or more will be recognized as an official charger? Or do we need to make a special cable with Nintendo's resistor values so the Switch will use all of the available power?

Tsunn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For anyone that has the game already, does overclocking help with Digimon Survive performance? Heard it has some fps drops, was curious about if it's fixable or not through OC. Still haven't received my copy so I can't try for myself yet (will keep the post updated).

skyboyextreme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
is there any version of this that has uncapped gpu and memory clocks specially in handheld mode ?

this one is pretty restrictive sadly ......

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the *actual* limits of what's considered safe for Switch overclocking both in handheld and docked mode? While I've yet to experience any issues testing a multitude of OC combinations, there seems to be a lot of mixed information of what clocks are acceptable or too much based on use case.

For example, I generally hear that you shouldn't go above 1224 Mhz CPU / 460 Mhz GPU / 1862.4 Mhz RAM when running off the battery, but there doesn't appear to be any limits pushing the CPU to the 1785 Mhz max in sys-clk with or without the other OCs engaged, nor *based on my tests* does it appear to pull quite as much power as pushing the GPU (which does have an imposed limit at 460 Mhz without the charger). While the system does get warmer, actual heat also hasn't been a big problem and stays below the shutdown threshold.

People also say that going above the developer OC of 1224, or even 1581 Mhz in general, is unsafe due to the actual board not designed to handle that throughput of voltage or power longterm, or the battery being incapable of pushing out the power efficiently enough at higher CPU clocks. Is this actually true, or is this just treated as the boogieman of Switch overclocking? I've yet to hear of anyone over the last 3 years actually burning out or damaging their Switch as a result of this, and the batteries can be replaced if they get worn down (I've done so with mine).

This is assuming the Switch is an Erista unit.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the *actual* limits of what's considered safe for Switch overclocking both in handheld and docked mode? While I've yet to experience any issues testing a multitude of OC combinations, there seems to be a lot of mixed information of what clocks are acceptable or too much based on use case.

For example, I generally hear that you shouldn't go above 1224 Mhz CPU / 460 Mhz GPU / 1862.4 Mhz RAM when running off the battery, but there doesn't appear to be any limits pushing the CPU to the 1785 Mhz max in sys-clk with or without the other OCs engaged, nor *based on my tests* does it appear to pull quite as much power as pushing the GPU (which does have an imposed limit at 460 Mhz without the charger). While the system does get warmer, actual heat also hasn't been a big problem and stays below the shutdown threshold.

People also say that going above the developer OC of 1224, or even 1581 Mhz in general, is unsafe due to the actual board not designed to handle that throughput of voltage or power longterm, or the battery being incapable of pushing out the power efficiently enough at higher CPU clocks. Is this actually true, or is this just treated as the boogieman of Switch overclocking? I've yet to hear of anyone over the last 3 years actually burning out or damaging their Switch as a result of this, and the batteries can be replaced if they get worn down (I've done so with mine).

This is assuming the Switch is an Erista unit.
when unplugged I personally would never go above 1020/460 and the ram can be set to whatever mines set to 1862 at all times. when plugged in I try to keep it somewhere in the 1581/768 range or 1224/921 range but with the new governor that's in this sysclk https://github.com/KazushiMe/Switch-OC-Suite/releases/tag/1.4.0 you don't have to worry about the clocks as much as long as the governor works well with the game.

Flaya

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
when unplugged I personally would never go above 1020/460 and the ram can be set to whatever mines set to 1862 at all times. when plugged in I try to keep it somewhere in the 1581/768 range or 1224/921 range but with the new governor that's in this sysclk https://github.com/KazushiMe/Switch-OC-Suite/releases/tag/1.4.0 you don't have to worry about the clocks as much as long as the governor works well with the game.

I'm just using the sys-clk from the OP.
Does this co-work or is it a replacement?

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm running the latest kips for the OC but I never knew about the governor; I'm guessing it adjusts the active clock frequency higher or lower based on current load. Would manual overclocks still apply if set (I assume so based on my own tests)?

The reason I ask about the highest safe clocks is because in certain scenarios, I've been able to achieve 30 FPS for performance in titles like Age of Calamity (when locked at 720p resolution), but it requires a pretty heavy uplift in clocks, pretty much max OC while docked; same thing in handheld with the CPU at 1785 Mhz and GPU at 460 Mhz (resolution is locked to 540p). I believe I've experienced zero issues, but I guess I'm hoping to get a somewhat definitive answer of the absolute do's-and-don'ts to ensure my Switch has a long life, just in case. I'm the kind of guy who likes to test and push hardware to get stable performance, but within reason. I also underclock in other situations, RAM included, to try and conserve power for more battery life in games like Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight and Gunvolt, if that makes sense.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running the latest kips for the OC but I never knew about the governor; I'm guessing it adjusts the active clock frequency higher or lower based on current load. Would manual overclocks still apply if set (I assume so based on my own tests)?
it depends on the game. something like dead cells for example does not work well with it and will keep the gpu too low while a game like crysis 3 you can safely set to 1785/921 (plugged in of course) because it will be underclocked a majority of the time while still keeping 30FPS. to get it to stick to a specific clock speed though you will need to turn off the governor
Post automatically merged:

I'm just using the sys-clk from the OP.
Does this co-work or is it a replacement?
its a replacement

Reactions: BasedKiliK

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc