• Views 509,811
  • Replies 1,366
  • Likes 88

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There're also those who would prefer the choice and freedom with their hardware (true to the principles of homebrew), and understand and/or accept the risks. Pushing your hardware to the max is a hobby for some, fulfilling in and of itself.

That's not to sound entitled - people with the knowledge/ability are free to spend their time as they please, but there're those who accept the risks, take harm-reduction measures (e.g. cooling modifications and improvements, plugged into official charger) and would be glad to have the opportunity.

Not everyone is the type to whine on forums if they killed their device.

I agree. But I understand their reasoning for not supporting it.

Shrubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well since my post was removed (removal reason was for the URL), I'll omit the URL this time.

If anyone with the technical knowledge & ability fancies supporting the Switch-OC project, feel free to check out their GitHub! Mucho gracias.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since my post was removed (removal reason was for the URL), I'll omit the URL this time.

If anyone with the technical knowledge & ability fancies supporting the Switch-OC project, feel free to check out their GitHub! Mucho gracias.

This project has removed the copy written files in question and has replaced them with a "how to" that shows you how to patch the files that you provide yourself. So it should be fine to post now.

Reactions: Shrubber

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely there must be some way to detect which chip is present.
It's easy

Code:
bool isMariko() {
    uint64_t hardwareType = 0;

splGetConfig(SplConfigItem_HardwareType, &hardwareType);

if(hardwareType < 2)
        return false;

return true;
}

but they have other reasons, largely due to the lack of proper testing iirc.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would the sane method be?
Modified atmosphere that patches the program in memory.

Also btw, the guy who made whatever clearly did no research. 2295/1075 CPU/GPU on Erista will put huge strain on the entire device and significantly reduce the lifespan while causing performance regressions in most cases. You need a good binning to reach that and even then you'd still be destroying the device.

Shrubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Also btw, the guy who made whatever clearly did no research. 2295/1075 CPU/GPU on Erista will put huge strain on the entire device and significantly reduce the lifespan while causing performance regressions in most cases. You need a good binning to reach that and even then you'd still be destroying the device.

No one's compelled to use those clocks, it's just nice to have the option and judge that for yourself in respect of your own predispositions, device quality & harm-reduction practices.

At the very least I'm glad that there're now more accessible RAM overclocking options though. Of course all you contributors are legends too, but so is KazushiMe for adding desirable features and options.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What do you think about the clocks for Mariko?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one's compelled to use those clocks, it's just nice to have the option and judge that for yourself in respect of your own predispositions, device quality & harm-reduction practices.

At the very least I'm glad that there're now more accessible RAM overclocking options though. Of course all you contributors are legends too, but so is KazushiMe for adding desirable features and options.
Those clocks shouldn't be available by default at all, and there's not even a warning that says how bad it is for devices.
My original patch didn't include any additional CPU/GPU clocks but allowed the advanced users to add some if they knew what they were doing, which I felt was a decent tradeoff until some people started distributing pre-built binaries with stupid high clocks (at which point I stripped all CPU/GPU stuff out of my public patches, I don't want people destroying their devices then blaming me).

memory OC is fine and I plan to continue releasing patches for that for the foreseeable future. But this CPU/GPU bs on Erista is just straight up dangerous and pointless.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What do you think about the clocks for Mariko?
I don't have a mariko so I cannot test anything, but based on what I've seen it's probably ok

Reactions: mattyxarope

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those clocks shouldn't be available by default at all, and there's not even a warning that says how bad it is for devices.
My original patch didn't include any additional CPU/GPU clocks but allowed the advanced users to add some if they knew what they were doing, which I felt was a decent tradeoff until some people started distributing pre-built binaries with stupid high clocks (at which point I stripped all CPU/GPU stuff out of my public patches, I don't want people destroying their devices then blaming me).

memory OC is fine and I plan to continue releasing patches for that for the foreseeable future. But this CPU/GPU bs on Erista is just straight up dangerous and pointless.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't have a mariko so I cannot test anything, but based on what I've seen it's probably ok

Yeah honestly I've been experiment with the higher clocks in Mariko and I don't think I've ever seen temps higher than 50° (I also live in a hot climate) and I've never had max fan speed.

Is there a benchmark test homebrew that I'm not aware of?

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
At some point the OC becomes negligible and really should only set for what you need for what task which is why I like sys manager app

D

Deleted User

until some people started distributing pre-built binaries with stupid high clocks (at which point I stripped all CPU/GPU stuff out of my public patches, I don't want people destroying their devices then blaming me).

I get your point, but it's not like someone could just set the RAM Voltage on your current .diff to a stupidly high number and just kill their Switch that way. (or bypass the voltage limit on Hekate and do it that way.)
These patches always come with a risk and I honestly think that having to compile atmosphere yourself is the biggest filter for any "noob" looking for ez oc on their console. And if anyone is sharing prebuild .kips, then he should be the one to blame, not you.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get your point, but it's not like someone could just set the RAM Voltage on your current .diff to a stupidly high number and just kill their Switch that way. (or bypass the voltage limit on Hekate and do it that way.)
These patches always come with a risk and I honestly think that having to compile atmosphere yourself is the biggest filter for any "noob" looking for ez oc on their console. And if anyone is sharing prebuild .kips, then he should be the one to blame, not you.
My issue is people downloading and using this pre-built shit that allows this bs not knowing how dangerous and destructive it is, then destroying their consoles because they didn't know and there were zero warnings.
You might be able to destroy smth with ram overvolt (dunno the limit there), yeah, but you'd have to intentionally do that yourself.

Yes, it would be the fault of the person distributing, but people are dumbasses.

Shrubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sigh and the author deleted their Github account + all repositories for some reason... Fucking shame to be honest. Even if there are subjective criticisms to be made about the long-term safety for one of the models (which was added by request), there was still plenty of merit to the feature additions and Mariko support (which the wise among us have deemed capable of tolerating the power draw). I only hope they couldn't be arsed to deal with support/updating it rather than some inane concern about thinking they were detracting from the community when they were actually contributing.

I'd say it's fairly likely that the general positive vibes got to them though.

ms2048

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Such a shame. I've been using these patches for full two weeks and they do wonders to the switch performance. Then obviously if something goes wrong eventually then I will MYSELF be to blame and not some random person on the internet that enabled me to take these risks.

Yes, it would be the fault of the person distributing
This is like blaming the liquor store for causing the car crash while being drunk. If there are big red flashing warnings everywhere, you cannot blame anyone but yourself for ignoring these.

Anyway, I have done a BACKUP of this repo 3 days ago (not git repo, just source files and release) and I could upload it somewhere there. Is it allowed on these forums? It is a version without copyrighted files, so...

Reactions: mattyxarope

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is like blaming the liquor store for causing the car crash while being drunk. If there are big red flashing warnings everywhere, you cannot blame anyone but yourself for ignoring these.

Anyway, I have done a BACKUP of this repo 3 days ago (not git repo, just source files and release) and I could upload it somewhere there. Is it allowed on these forums? It is a version without copyrighted files, so...
That wasn't my point, read the context. I'm worried about others blaming me for issues caused by other people's fucked pre-compiled versions of my OC patches. Which yes, I know wouldn't be my fault, but people are dumbasses and I don't want to deal with that shit.

It would be allowed, yes.

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,
Reactions: Rahkeesh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up