Gaming Syberia DS

JDandy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
YES. As some of you may know, Syberia was a point and click adventure game which came out for the pc aeons ago.
It has been in development for the DS for some time now, and got dumped today (or yesterday).

Since I had great fun with it on the pc I'll definitely be trying it for the DS.
I'll post some impressions later on.

DS scene has some screenshots. Actually, it has all the screenshots that were ever released since this game got just about NO press coverage at all. View 'em here.

EDIT:
So far so good. Character models are in 3d, with prerendered backgrounds. It's in five languages, with the options to turn off the music (which I am very much inclined to do, since it loops and annoys) and change your language. There's also a gallery so you can see all FMV sequences you've been through so far.

Ingame there are 4 icons on top:
Save, Eye, Phone and Up arrow.

Save: I shouldn't have to explain this.
Eye: you hold it and drag it around. When it meets an object you can interact with it changes to a hand (to take), a mouth (to talk) or a cog (to use). Doesn't tell you about doors, so don't rely on it too much, but it IS very handy. This way you don't have to scavenge the screen for something you're likely to miss.
Phone: Call a person whose number you have.
Up Arrow: Brings down a row of the inventory. Items you can use in the situation you're in are shown there. If you press the spinning cog it opens the entire inventory on your touch screen.

Hint: To read something you have to drag it under the read button (there's a gray box) before you press read.

All in all it plays pretty good. I wonder if the music is going to CHANGE because this one tune is really grating on my nerves. Atmosphere is good, and since I played it on pc, I know what to expect of the story (which is also good). Stylus use is sensible. Size (when trimmed) is 60ish mb.

All in all a very decent port.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I confused it with 'Cyberia', an old dos game which I liked. So got a bit disappointed when I saw it was Syberia
frown.gif

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
From the screenshots it doesnt really look that appealing, but i guess looks aren't everything...
wink2.gif

SomeGuyGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PC game was great. It isn't that old, maybe about 5 years old.

I haven't beaten Syberia 2 yet though since it wouldn't cooperate with my computer, and once you finish Syberia 1 you will see that you are just beginning the adventure.

JDandy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aerundel said:
Is this just part 1 or is it the complete story? I really like 1 but didn't get around to 2.

To be honest, I don't know. I picked this up mostly because I had fond memories of the pc version. All in all this is a decent port, though there have been some cutbacks.
Gameplay has been simplified a little, and you can't really freely move; you tap a spot and Kate will go all "Ï AM A ZOMBIE WATCH ME AS I SLOOOOOOOOOWLY MOVE THERE" whereupon you will most likely go "Don't go there, go here."

"NO. I CAN NOT POSSIBLY GO THERE."
"Just cross the fucking street, there's a door right there, just go to the door."
"DID YOU MEAN FOR ME TO GO TO THE NEXT SCREEN?"
"No, The Door."
"BACK ONE SCREEN?"
"NO. LOOK AT THAT DOOR"
"There is no door, Neo. Only Spoon."

*cough*

All shenanigans aside, it's not that good of a game. It's slow, and backtracking is a pain. Even more so, it's actually pretty linear; you can't progress untill the game says ok.

"I want to go here."
"NO J, WE NEED TO GO TO THE CHURCH"
"But. there's a door here, with 2 robots on it."
"THE CHURCH IS CALLING MEEEEE"
"I have the KEY I need to oPEN THIS DOOR, WOMAN"
"I CAN'T GO THERE UNTIL I HAVE BEEN TO THE CURCH"
"fine. church it is."

*5 minutes of WALKING SLOWLY ALONG HER INVISIBLE TRACK*
*enters the church*
*finds items*
*finds a puzzle where you have to insert the gears you found early on*
*inserts 3 of the 4, can not for the life of him figure out why the game REFUSES to place the fourth gear. IT GOES RIGHT THERE. I AM DRAGGING AND DROPPING IT THERE, WHY DON'T YOU JUST PUT IT THERE*
*gives up. leaves. goes to the door he wanted to go in first*

"I CAN'T GO THERE UNTIL I HAVE BEEN TO THE CURCH"

Actually, you might want to steer well clear of this game, no matther who you are. If you liked Syberia 1, don't ruin your nostalgia goggles by gazing upon this. If you never even played Syberia 1; This game is not for you.

Edit:
To conclude the story, I managed to insert the fourth gear later on after I spent 2 minutes frantically dragging and dropping that thing all over the screen along with where it needed to go.
Finicky touch screen controls are finicky.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(