SX OS should I use XCI, or NSP on emuNAND?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Powerful, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Powerful
    OP

Powerful GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    I have SX OS emuNAND and was wondering if I should install XCI, or NSP on my emuNAND? I use a clean Sysnand for online and was wondering if XCI, or NSP is better for not getting banned?

2. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2019
    Slovakia
    If you only use OFW online it doesn’t matter what you install in emunand.

Powerful likes this.
  3. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    NSP take less space than XCI, but it require you to install them on to the SD card.

4. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    If you "install" an xci file it's the same as converting it to nsp first. If you just leave the xci file on the SD card you can launch it and play it from the sxos menu. It emulates a real game by tricking the switch into thinking you've put a game cart in the slot.

NoNAND, Powerful and CanIHazWarez like this.
  5. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    If you are doing it on emunand and not going online with emunand, then it doesn't matter which one you use from a ban-avoiding perspective. Prior to emunand being available, XCIs were much safer to use (not "installing" them, but rather loading them as if you would a cartridge).

NoNAND, Powerful and PHiLiPZ like this.
  6. Powerful
    OP

Powerful GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    Thank you everyone for explaining this. This makes a lot of sense now. Take care!

NoNAND likes this.
  7. Joeli53

Joeli53 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    United States
    Not to resurrect this thread, but is there any difference in battery life between XCI and NSP? I remember back in the 3DS days of Gateway and Sky, they would drain the battery faster than if you installed onto the SD card, but that was because we were using a physical cart in the cart slot. I imagine there's no difference for the Switch, but just wondering.

8. ScrPotato

ScrPotato GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2019
    United States
    in your closet
    There should be since it 'emulates' a cartridge instead of just loading it. But not that much of a difference.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted