Hacking Question SX OS doesn't power off my console.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well if the payload's .bin handles this already, this was either designed from the beginning, or they're the one's who got lucky.

If I boot hekate, go stock, powerdown, 12sec later I get rcm mode in tegrarcmsmasher. If I push sx payload, the switch shuts down. So how then can it know that it's on it's 2nd rcm go around? Semi-rcm lives?

No. RCM is RCM. I`m convinced of that.

There is possibly some kind of flag that is set during shutdown. SX loader knows what to do with this flag (which is probably put in Horizon by Nintendo to verify successful shutdown, or at least shutdown state)

It isn`t semi-RCM if you push any other payload and it boots

Last edited by mattytrog,

RealLatias

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you’re using sx os, i believe you can fully shut off by holding volume up and power while booting to open the sx os menu, and selecting power from there.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. RCM is RCM. I`m convinced of that.

There is possibly some kind of flag that is set during shutdown. SX loader knows what to do with this flag (which is probably put in Horizon by Nintendo to verify successful shutdown, or at least shutdown state)

It isn`t semi-RCM if you push any other payload and it boots

It's a good theory. Something's happening in horizon for the switch to come back on after 12 sec when it's booted from rcm, that's for sure.

Reactions: mattytrog

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would you cover how nintendo's recover mode works.

they have details how to use sx.

the user is told that when installing autorcm that the console will boot automatically into recovery mode all the time and that the dongle is required at all times during this process.

It's Nvidia's RCM mode but I know what you meant. You'd cover it to avoid hundreds of emails from confused customers asking why their Switch won't boot after they powered it down with battery percentage still left. If you shut it down at 100% and less than 24 hours later it is so dead that it can't boot to Horizon you are going to be confused as to what happened.

The user is told that the Switch won't boot normally. They should also be told that it won't shut down normally.

Reactions: Tomobobo

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The user is told that the Switch won't boot normally. They should also be told that it won't shut down normally.

I think this right here is why the operation of the sx payload shouldn't be considered to work the way it does as a feature. If this was a feature, they would have said, "we so smaht we even thought of a way to shut down when that pesky 12 seconds later mode shows up, we the best, only buy our product", but they haven't mentioned that in any way. Instead like you're saying, they don't tell the user that their sxos will not be shutting the switch down properly, and they don't advertise the dongle shut down method as a feature. This isn't something on their to do list, and never was.

They probably know just as much as anyone in this thread knows about rcm 2:turbo edition: jack shit.

Like, why would they make a feature that specifically would only properly work in one of the competing dongle setups?

I'm convinced it's a bug, especially seeing sending the sx payload to any cfw or ofw 2nd round rcm mode will just straight up shut down a switch. They aren't doing anything special, or if they are, it was by accident.

I think I found out that if you eject the sd card in sxos, then when it cries and you shut down the switch, it really shuts down.

Last edited by Tomobobo,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think this right here is why the operation of the sx payload shouldn't be considered to work the way it does as a feature. If this was a feature, they would have said, "we so smaht we even thought of a way to shut down when that pesky 12 seconds later mode shows up, we the best, only buy our product", but they haven't mentioned that in any way. Instead like you're saying, they don't tell the user that their sxos will not be shutting the switch down properly, and they don't advertise the dongle shut down method as a feature. This isn't something on their to do list, and never was.

They probably know just as much as anyone in this thread knows about rcm 2:turbo edition: jack shit.

Ouch!

Like, why would they make a feature that specifically would only properly work in one of the competing dongle setups?

I'm convinced it's a bug, especially seeing sending the sx payload to any cfw or ofw 2nd round rcm mode will just straight up shut down a switch. They aren't doing anything special, or if they are, it was by accident.

I think I found out that if you eject the sd card in sxos, then when it cries and you shut down the switch, it really shuts down.

I don`t think it is a bug, nor is it an intended feature.

SXOS and Hekate implement their shutdowns differently.

Hekate kills all power to PMIC
SXOS does too after checking it is shut down... It looks like this has more to do with Nintendo`s own power down system. ((Wonder where the battery symbol comes from?)) This is your prime suspect. But like I`ve said before, because you are autoRCM, it cannot boot this "part" of Horizon, so goes to RCM.

Reactions: Tomobobo

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't read every page, but another solution to powering off besides using sx bootloader would be to power off as usual. Then tap power one time then hold it for 12-15 seconds. This way RCM will be powered off and remain off.

I too experienced the rcm startup after 12 seconds. I kept a USB inserted then I powered it off. APX wasnt showing up so I thought I was good, then I looked away and back, I literally saw APX there and it shocked me. There's also been times when I thought my system was fully powered off (After holding the power button for 12 seconds which forces shutdown) and the next day I'm 20-30% below what I had.

Also one time I plugged in the charger then powered off by holding power for 12 seconds, and let it charge up for 3 hours. I took the charger out and I went to bed. The next day I saw it didnt gain any percentage and lost some instead. Even my joycon's batteries were drained and I never played wireless with them at the time. RCM does seem to power on after turning it off in any which way from horizon. Perhaps when I unplugged the charger, it triggered it to turn on. Unplugging the charger in sleep mode powers it on.
Just sharing my experience, I don't have a solution besides what I mentioned on top.

Amingo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can still power off your Switch. Boot into the sx os menu while in RCM mode. With auto RCM installed you must hold the plus(+) button while injecting the payload. This will cause the bootup to hold on the menu, you first saw when using sx os the first time.

From there go to Options - > Power off. Now your Switch should power off completely. Be aware that putting it into your dock will power it back on.

Sorry to necro this thread but i was always wondering why my battery was drained even after powering off from sx os (in rcm mode). I was always putting it right back into the dock.. Thanks this really helped me!!

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry to necro this thread but i was always wondering why my battery was drained even after powering off from sx os (in rcm mode). I was always putting it right back into the dock.. Thanks this really helped me!!

because you have autorcm enable when you power off it will auto power on after 15secs waiting for a payload. if you have a reboot to payload or kosmos toolkit. reboot to either sxos or hekate and click the power off button there

or boot sxos from hekate with HOS ON option were it will auto power off if no payload is used within 15secs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +1
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on...