Hacking Sx os and hdd in portable mode.

patachitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i just installed hdd in portable mode via convertor. The loading times are quite long, is that same in dock mode? any idea why could that be.

Joaoaug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Usb C port isnt providing enough current (Amps) to enable your HDD to use its maximum speed. I didnt found any specs of the max current that the switch can provide via its USB C port on handheld mode, but assuming that is the same as the usual current output in microusb port 0.5A and that the HDD's usually require 1~1.5A. That should explain (at least partially) the speed issue.
You can test the same game with a usb flashdisk and see if the loading times get any better.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Usb C port isnt providing enough current (Amps) to enable your HDD to use its maximum speed. I didnt found any specs of the max current that the switch can provide via its USB C port on handheld mode, but assuming that is the same as the usual current output in microusb port 0.5A and that the HDD's usually require 1~1.5A. That should explain (at least partially) the speed issue.
You can test the same game with a usb flashdisk and see if the loading times get any better.
That's not true. 2.5" external HDDs are designed to work on 0.5A.
If it wasn't getting enough power it would more than likely just not work, or have very obvious issues like making weird noises, having issues being read, that sort of thing.
i just installed hdd in portable mode via convertor. The loading times are quite long, is that same in dock mode? any idea why could that be.
HDDs have very bad random access, something that is important when loading data that might be scattered all over. Flash memory has much faster random access, although still not on the level of SSDs which have extra hardware to speed up random access.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Why are you assuming, that USB C has "same specs )" like usb 2.0?
USB C can deliver minimally 0.9A.
After googling "USB C specs" I found that it can deliver up to 2Amps.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Joaoaug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If it wasn't getting enough power it would more than likely just not work, or have very obvious issues like making weird noises, having issues being read, that sort of thing.
They work on 0.5A, but dont work at 100%, they work at lower speeds. If 0.5 amps is enough why do they are shipped with Y cables (i dont know about hdd that use usb 3.0, but its true for 2.0), also why we need to use Y cable to use the hdd on a WiiU?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-a-y-cable-realy-needed-for-a-wii-u-usb-hdd.447328/

Why are you assuming, that USB C has "same specs )" like usb 2.0?
USB C can deliver minimally 0.9A.
After googling "USB C specs" I found that it can deliver up to 2Amps.
One thing is the specs that the USB C protocol say that should be used, but we have 2 problems with that.
1- the switch doesnt follow the USB C protocol. if that wasnt the case we would be able to safelly use 3rd party docks.
2- when you use an adapter the switch sees it as a usb 3.x device or a usb 2.x? if i use a usb 2.0 device on an adapter and the switch allow it to drain 2 amps it can damage the device and the switch.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/accordi...nt-follow-usb-type-c-protocols-at-all.499979/

P.S.
Trust me I am an Engeneer :teach:

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
They work on 0.5A, but dont work at 100%, they work at lower speeds. If 0.5 amps is enough why do they are shipped with Y cables (i dont know about hdd that use usb 3.0, but its true for 2.0), also why we need to use Y cable to use the hdd on a WiiU?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-a-y-cable-realy-needed-for-a-wii-u-usb-hdd.447328/

One thing is the specs that the USB C protocol say that should be used, but we have 2 problems with that.
1- the switch doesnt follow the USB C protocol. if that wasnt the case we would be able to safelly use 3rd party docks.
2- when you use an adapter the switch sees it as a usb 3.x device or a usb 2.x? if i use a usb 2.0 device on an adapter and the switch allow it to drain 2 amps it can damage the device and the switch.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/accordi...nt-follow-usb-type-c-protocols-at-all.499979/

P.S.
Does not really matter how it sees it. USB 3.0 and up can provide 0.9 amps. It's about the ports, not about the protocol.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

P.S.
Ahhhh NO they don't ship with Y cables LOL

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
When playing game with an HDD 2.5" on portable mode or even on dock mode using USB 3.0 port, the maximum speed is about 30% speed of a SS Evo+ U3 MicroSD. In addition, using USB 2.0 ports on dock mode sometime will cause the HDD unplugged.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

P.S.
USB HDDs are never shipped with Y-cables. Wii U doesn't follow USB 2.0 spec.

Reactions: thaikhoa

Joaoaug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does not really matter how it sees it. USB 3.0 and up can provide 0.9 amps. It's about the ports, not about the protocol.

I'm sorry but that's wrong. You are saying that usb 3.0 can provide up to 0.9 amps, see any problem with that. as far as it goes the usb 3.0 ports could deliver up to 10 Amps and it wouldnt make any diference.
You are saying that the only thing that matters is the port not the protocol, but in fact it does because there is a negotiation betwin the 2 devices when they start comunicating, that's how they know if the data will be sent using only 2 cables (usb 2.0) or all the avaliable in the usb 3.0, they also decide who should send current and the limit. That's in the protocol to avoid the destruction of devices and ensure that the data will be corectly transfered if they use diferrent usb protocols.

USB HDDs are never shipped with Y-cables. Wii U doesn't follow USB 2.0 spec.
i didnt know that, looks like nintendo is really good at not following the usb specs...
I had one external Hdd from samsung that came with a Y cable, I also had one adapter to use an old HDD as a usb device that came with a Y cable.

Traditional USB Y-cables exist to enable one USB peripheral device to receive power from two USB host sockets at once, while only transceiving data with one of those sockets. As long as the host has two available USB sockets, this enables a peripheral that requires more power than one USB port can supply (but not more than two ports can supply) to be used without requiring a mains adaptor. Portable hard disk drives[11][12] and optical disc drives[13][14] are sometimes supplied with such Y-cables, for this reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-cable
(Ok, wikipedia is not a good source, but it says exactly what i was looking for :rofl:)

edit:
wow i didnt know that the info box would look so awesome, i was expecting something like a quote

Last edited by Joaoaug,

patachitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

HDDs have very bad random access, something that is important when loading data that might be scattered all over. Flash memory has much faster random access, although still not on the level of SSDs which have extra hardware to speed up random access.
Its an 128gb ssd .

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I made this but a bit slow on loading side

Attachments

• 15404832471151803161286.jpg
    15404832471151803161286.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 227

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Its an 128gb ssd .

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I made this but a bit slow on loading side
Hmm, maybe it's not running in USB 3.0 mode. I think there is a difference between OTG cables and adapters, because manufacturers seem to treat USB-C as "anything goes", some cables/adapters could actually be missing the extra wires for USB 3.0.
Also, since OTG isn't an intentional feature from Nintendo, it could be limited to 2.0 mode.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up