Hacking Switching to R4, a few questions please!

mrxle3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. My supercard SD just isn't cutting it anymore, and I'm thinking about buying an R4DS. After searching through the numerous threads in this forum, it's become apparent to me that the Kingston 1GB (Japanese) microSD card is the one I should be looking for. I spoke to a newegg rep today, and he told me that there is absolutely no way they can ensure that I receive the right one; in other words, it's a crapshoot in the dark whether I get the Taiwanese one or Japanese one. Anyone have any luck with other places that can give me a better guarantee?

Also, any suggestions on a good place to purchase the actual R4? I've read topics suggesting different places, and was wondering if there's any current feedback on the shipping turn-around time/service for websites. Thanks for the help!

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I doubt any online retailer would be able to guarantee which manufacturing location you get. Whoever you talk to probably has very little contact with the warehouse. Even then, I doubt the warehouse shippers care to look at anything other than SKU/PLUs.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, the different Kingston TF carts being sold without having the ability to choose is extremely annoying. I think it's better to look for a Toshiba one instead of a Kingston, cause I believe Toshiba doesn't include crap under the same name and it's just a restickered Kingston Jap TF card (or the other way around, dunno)
Also PNY might be good also, as in AceKard it works just like a Jap Kingston, dunno about it being tested on R4 though, so I can't tell for sure.

According to the scorpei wiki, Extrememory 1GB (Taiwan), A-DATA Super 512MB and Sandisk Ultra II 2GB work great with R4 too, but as other sizes of the same brand won't, I dunno how reliable the info is... (also odd that Sandisk Ultra II 1GB is green and SanDisk 2GB is blue, while they have the same problem...)

-edit: Also, I read you have a Supercard SD atm, this one is far more reliable on TF cards for compatibility then the R4, so it might be an idea to buy the TF card first and check out if you still want a R4 then, cause I don't think it will add that much when you have the right MicroSD's anyway...

bl21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 is actually not very picky to tf cards. I heard a lot of ppl saying their R4 is fine with tf cards that were made in taiwan.

mrxle3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I've decided to order from realhotstuff since that's where I got my supercard/superkey in the first place. Shipping = $7?? That's almost double what I paid the first time around =(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk