PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
It's just the backlight, as I found out a little bit ago. I've been contemplating opening it myself, but I don't have the proper tools to remove the digitizer ATM so I can check the entire cable.
I don't know how it works in Europe, but in the US, doing it yourself will void the warranty. As painful as it may be to wait, it would be far more painful if something else goes wrong, they refuse to repair it, and you had to buy another after waiting far more than 4-6 weeks for there to actually be consoles to buy.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This is a little crafty, but you can use a hair dryer and your fingernail? ;p
Hair dryer, yes, but I'm going to use a proper tool to pull off the digitizer cuz I'm not an idiot.

I don't know how it works in Europe, but in the US, doing it yourself will void the warranty. As painful as it may be to wait, it would be far more painful if something else goes wrong, they refuse to repair it, and you had to buy another after waiting far more than 4-6 weeks for there to actually be consoles to buy.
It'll void the warranty, but I don't really care at this point. I've repaired enough phones, tablets and handheld consoles that I'm fairly certain I won't mess anything up. Especially when the Switch is fairly easy to take apart, sans the touch screen itself.

Reactions: iAqua

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I pulled the Switch apart, checked all the connections, reseated the LCD connector and any ribbon cables around it and still nothing, it just refuses to work.

So I guess the backlight is just fucked. Woooo Nintendo Seal of potato quality.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I pulled the Switch apart, checked all the connections, reseated the LCD connector and any ribbon cables around it and still nothing, it just refuses to work.

SWEET GLORIOUS SWITCH MAESTR RAEC!!!111!!1

btw sorry to hear that... sweet glorious nintendo seal of quality...

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

IDK if by opening it u lost the warranty but call Nintendo. The console is Region Free so the service also should be. Thats not a problem with PlayStation or Xbox

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
IDK if by opening it u lost the warranty but call Nintendo. The console is Region Free so the service also should be. Thats not a problem with PlayStation or Xbox
100%. When you register your device for their "repair service", you have to choose a region and then enter in the serial number that corresponds to that region. Mine is for the EU, so they refuse to fix it in the US. Also called their customer support to see if they'd let me just send it in regardless, and they told me the shipping thing and the 4-6 week wait.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

Shikkichu

A little Pika girl~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inb4
Nintendo: Sorry we don't take dead pixels
Tom: But the whole screen is dead..
Nintendo: We don't care how many dead pixels, we won't fix

Also glad you found the issue, hope your repairs go well c: