Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

finny3433

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there everybody,

I have a OLED switch and I paid a tech repair shop to do a modchip install on it. I provided the chip, it was the v4 oled modchip. (I'm fairly certain it's the "right" one, I got the link from a modder)

They installed the modchip, but told me they wouldn't handle any of the software part because of legalities.
They sent the Switch back to me, and I'm having trouble getting the software up and running.

Here's where the issues start: Upon turning on the Switch, the screen slowly blinks purple five times. The modchip LED blinks orange really fast during that time.
After that, the screen goes black and the modchip LED fades in and out of yellow. This is the current state. I saw a debug GIF on hwfly github for the LED, and apparently this is the glitch training process for 15-30 minutes, but it's been going for nearly 6 hours now. I'm not sure what to do.

The SD card I'm using is a fresh SD card with only the 0.71 firmware files on it.

Here is a video of what goes on:

To try and fix it I've tried:
Flashing 0.71 and put all the files from 0.71 onto the sd card
Flashing Spacecraft v2 (I couldn't even flash it, was an error or something)
Booting with and without SD card

Anyone please let me know any help here, would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much in advance :)

MaGosT

Trophies
XP
Country
What's the best performing switch model at the moment seen to overclocking and such?

After reading up on this is appears it would be best to order a Mariko/Oled Version and install mod chip. These appear to support RAM overclock which seems to greatly improve FPS and load times. While old v1 models can't have the RAM OC'd due to overheating issues.

My main goal is to use the device for backups with better performance as well as emulation. I do have experience with soldering as well as access to professional help if needed. If allowed could you link a reputable seller for a mod chip?

What would you recommend me?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there everybody,

I have a OLED switch and I paid a tech repair shop to do a modchip install on it. I provided the chip, it was the v4 oled modchip. (I'm fairly certain it's the "right" one, I got the link from a modder)

They installed the modchip, but told me they wouldn't handle any of the software part because of legalities.
They sent the Switch back to me, and I'm having trouble getting the software up and running.

Here's where the issues start: Upon turning on the Switch, the screen slowly blinks purple five times. The modchip LED blinks orange really fast during that time.
After that, the screen goes black and the modchip LED fades in and out of yellow. This is the current state. I saw a debug GIF on hwfly github for the LED, and apparently this is the glitch training process for 15-30 minutes, but it's been going for nearly 6 hours now. I'm not sure what to do.

The SD card I'm using is a fresh SD card with only the 0.71 firmware files on it.

Here is a video of what goes on: View attachment 324646

To try and fix it I've tried:
Flashing 0.71 and put all the files from 0.71 onto the sd card
Flashing Spacecraft v2 (I couldn't even flash it, was an error or something)
Booting with and without SD card

Anyone please let me know any help here, would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much in advance :)
Highly possible that the install got messed up. The installer should have taken care of the training part, because a screen complaining about no SD card inserted, is the only way to 100% know that it's installed correctly and is able to glitch correctly.

YOU also should have read the instructions. You are not supposed to train it with an sd inserted. I also hope that USB cable us plugged into a charger, and not into a computer. You can google how to use debug with putty (you'll need to open your case up and connect the USB dongle... and be VERY careful not to put it in upside-down), or you might want to reset the chip, forcing to glitch from scratch (without an sd card in the Switch). How to reset? Also in the instructions. Short 2 pins while powering on.

But really, there are so many things that can go wrong with these installs, it isn't even funny. Even the chips themselves can be defective and need a re-flow. I destroyed an OLED on my first attempt. Haven't had a single issue with my second. But I will never try to do it for someone else. Too damn risky.

finny3433

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highly possible that the install got messed up. The installer should have taken care of the training part, because a screen complaining about no SD card inserted, is the only way to 100% know that it's installed correctly and is able to glitch correctly.

YOU also should have read the instructions. You are not supposed to train it with an sd inserted. I also hope that USB cable us plugged into a charger, and not into a computer. You can google how to use debug with putty (you'll need to open your case up and connect the USB dongle... and be VERY careful not to put it in upside-down), or you might want to reset the chip, forcing to glitch from scratch (without an sd card in the Switch). How to reset? Also in the instructions. Short 2 pins while powering on.

But really, there are so many things that can go wrong with these installs, it isn't even funny. Even the chips themselves can be defective and need a re-flow. I destroyed an OLED on my first attempt. Haven't had a single issue with my second. But I will never try to do it for someone else. Too damn risky.
Where are the instructions? I've only seen the video instructions the aliexpress seller sent. I've looked pretty much everywhere it seems like and can't find any definitive instructions for this. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about it all and definitely wasn't a good idea to not have the installer set it up lol. Just trying to figure out what to do now.

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Where are the instructions? I've only seen the video instructions the aliexpress seller sent. I've looked pretty much everywhere it seems like and can't find any definitive instructions for this. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about it all and definitely wasn't a good idea to not have the installer set it up lol. Just trying to figure out what to do now.
I think this should help
https://github.com/hwfly-nx/firmware

Edit: nvm you been there already, sorry aint got an OLED so I thought it could help

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You‘ll need to search for debugging instructions using a putty terminal. This will just show you how to reset the chip.

Attachments

• 66AF5E03-FF55-4638-9A23-FAEF001A686C.jpeg
    66AF5E03-FF55-4638-9A23-FAEF001A686C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

finny3433

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You‘ll need to search for debugging instructions using a putty terminal. This will just show you how to reset the chip.
Thanks for the picture, I appreciate that. I'm so sorry to keep asking, but do you have putty instructions for debugging? I can't find any instructions for using Putty with hwfly chip on gbatemp.

I was able to get into the PuTTY menu but I'm not sure what commands to choose to debug/reset= or know what's wrong with it (and in the end, how to fix it)

1661631885320.png

EDIT:
Upon doing "v", I got this
1661631625256.png
. Is this concerning? This is an oled board/chip, but says Lite. Also, is that the right FPGA ID?

Last edited by finny3433,

Riggan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone shed some light on this Retroarch issue I'm having? As I understand it, there's a way to add an NSP to your main menu so that when you launch into Retroarch the system will allocate full RAM, thus allowing the games to run better. The libretro site has a page that says we now provide an NSP file for Switch straight from our Download page, but when you take the link to go get it, it isn't there (for me anyway). The only thing I see is the normal Retroarch download link for Switch, and there's no NSP in there.

I've also read you can simply edit the loader.ini file in the Atmosphere directory to accomplish essentially the same thing, but when I open that file the code is already set to what I've seen people recommend changing it to.

I've seen something about making a "forwarder" for Retroarch. But, I have no idea what that means. Can someone help?

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone shed some light on this Retroarch issue I'm having? As I understand it, there's a way to add an NSP to your main menu so that when you launch into Retroarch the system will allocate full RAM, thus allowing the games to run better. The libretro site has a page that says we now provide an NSP file for Switch straight from our Download page, but when you take the link to go get it, it isn't there (for me anyway). The only thing I see is the normal Retroarch download link for Switch, and there's no NSP in there.

I've also read you can simply edit the loader.ini file in the Atmosphere directory to accomplish essentially the same thing, but when I open that file the code is already set to what I've seen people recommend changing it to.

I've seen something about making a "forwarder" for Retroarch. But, I have no idea what that means. Can someone help?
Simplest way to run with full ram is to launch the homebrew launcher from a game - simply hold R down while starting any other nsp and you will end up at the homebrew launcher screen with full ram access

Try starting RetroArch that way

If you are already doing that and see poor performance, keep in mind the switch is weak and will stutter even on certain SNES games (depending on core)

Riggan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simplest way to run with full ram is to launch the homebrew launcher from a game - simply hold R down while starting any other nsp and you will end up at the homebrew launcher screen with full ram access

Try starting RetroArch that way

If you are already doing that and see poor performance, keep in mind the switch is weak and will stutter even on certain SNES games (depending on core)
Yes, already doing that. Only other thing I wanted to make sure about; I also read someone say "make sure you're booting Atmosphere from Hekate." I boot straight into Atmosphere using fusee.bin on system start, as I've not discovered a personal need for Hekate. I've seen it/booted into it, but ultimately bypass it and go straight to Atmosphere to eliminate extra steps when booting.

Is Hekate needed to enable Atmosphere running with full RAM?

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, already doing that. Only other thing I wanted to make sure about; I also read someone say "make sure you're booting Atmosphere from Hekate." I boot straight into Atmosphere using fusee.bin on system start, as I've not discovered a personal need for Hekate. I've seen it/booted into it, but ultimately bypass it and go straight to Atmosphere to eliminate extra steps when booting.

Is Hekate needed to enable Atmosphere running with full RAM?
Afaik the answer to that is no - you are booting RetroArch either way as if it were a commercial switch game - so you should have full ram access

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the best performing switch model at the moment seen to overclocking and such?

After reading up on this is appears it would be best to order a Mariko/Oled Version and install mod chip. These appear to support RAM overclock which seems to greatly improve FPS and load times. While old v1 models can't have the RAM OC'd due to overheating issues.

My main goal is to use the device for backups with better performance as well as emulation. I do have experience with soldering as well as access to professional help if needed. If allowed could you link a reputable seller for a mod chip?

What would you recommend me?
Seems you’ve done your homework. Mariko is definitely better than Erista for overclocking. OLED adds a better screen but no performance upgrade so that’s your call if you want to add the better screen. Aliexpress.com has the chip you need and prices are coming down a bit. Check their reviews.

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: MaGosT

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so to piggyback off of this, I think im in a similar situation, and am attempting to add the partition back to the SD card, though i dont know the size it should be. I read in the transfer guide 30 minimum but i dont think the original took up that much space so I set it to 8gb to be sure cus all of the files are still on the main fat32 part of the SD card. I had attempted to add android boot to my switch when this happened and didnt realize i was not file based emummc, though still not entire sure.

edit--
somehow quoted the wrong post mb.. heres what I meant to ask upon.

Then that fully explains your problem. Copying the emuMMC folder only copied the files pertaining to your emuMMC. Your emuMMC is a partition which isn't a file that you can simply copy and paste; its something that has be to backed up via Hekate or dumped as an image with an SD partitioning tool such as Minitool Partition Wizard, then after using either method, flash the partition onto the new SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY