Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

apocalipsis_ending

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. If you're using fusee-primary, use these signature patches if you haven't already done so.
  2. If you're using Kosmos/Hekate, use these signature patches if you haven't already done so.
If the above doesn't work, make sure you're using the DZ version of Tinfoil here. If that doesn't work, it could be a bad NSP.

So, I installed Tinfoil and NUT (I have been using Goldleaf and Goldtree) and it showed me this message:

Error
NCA signature verification failed. This file is modified, and could be malicious. Enable 'install unsigned code' in the options menu to override this error and install.

I won't install it, but I'm curious about what's the worst this 'malicious' file coud do.

Advanced User

Trophies
XP
Country
Got another question, I just used Hekate to create an emuMMC on a 30GB FAT32 partition of my SD card. Since this Switch is new and has never been used for homebrew, I want to keep a "clean" backup of my NAND. So the newly created emuMMC (BOOT0, BOOT1, GPP) is a backup of the sysNAND? Meaning, all I need to do is make a backup of the new emuMMC and I'll be able to restore it to the sysNAND in case anything ever goes wrong? Thanks again!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I installed Tinfoil and NUT (I have been using Goldleaf and Goldtree) and it showed me this message:

Error
NCA signature verification failed. This file is modified, and could be malicious. Enable 'install unsigned code' in the options menu to override this error and install.

I won't install it, but I'm curious about what's the worst this 'malicious' file coud do.
The file is probably not malicious, depending on where you got it. There are plenty of modified games that fail NCA signature verification that are perfectly fine.

The worst it could do, if malicious, is brick your system in a way that would require a NAND restore (or just a prodinfo restore, depending on the kind of brick) to fix.

If you're confident the file is not malicious, and you have a NAND backup stored somewhere safe, you can enable "install unsigned code" option, and it should install fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Got another question, I just used Hekate to create an emuMMC on a 30GB FAT32 partition of my SD card. Since this Switch is new and has never been used for homebrew, I want to keep a "clean" backup of my NAND. So the newly created emuMMC (BOOT0, BOOT1, GPP) is a backup of the sysNAND? Meaning, all I need to do is make a backup of the new emuMMC and I'll be able to restore it to the sysNAND in case anything ever goes wrong? Thanks again!
If the emuNAND is clean but the sysNAND is not, then you need to make a NAND backup of your emuNAND. You will be able to restore it to the sysNAND if something goes wrong with your sysNAND. If the sysNAND is clean, you could also make a backup of that instead.

Regardless, you want to make a clean NAND backup and store it somewhere safe.

Reactions: apocalipsis_ending

williamprvz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I updated from 6.2.0 to 8.1.0 using choix du jour, the update worked, then I updated kosmos by replacing all file from kosmos .zip inside the switch sd card but now game stored on the switch internal storage won't boot. What did I mess up?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mc-kiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Bought a used switch. It has a safe serial number wise but it's on 8.1.0 which is is the newest firmware i assume. Can cfw still be installed?

Advanced User

Trophies
XP
Country
If the emuNAND is clean but the sysNAND is not, then you need to make a NAND backup of your emuNAND. You will be able to restore it to the sysNAND if something goes wrong with your sysNAND. If the sysNAND is clean, you could also make a backup of that instead.

Regardless, you want to make a clean NAND backup and store it somewhere safe.
Thank you for your help, I used the backup tool of Hekate to create rawnand.bin BOOT0 and BOOT1. So that's it, I am done? What about backing up the console keys? I am on 8.10 and I read you can only back them up with a lower firmware? Do I even need those keys? I read there is a payload called Lockpick_RCM?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your help, I used the backup tool of Hekate to create rawnand.bin BOOT0 and BOOT1. So that's it, I am done? What about backing up the console keys? I am on 8.10 and I read you can only back them up with a lower firmware? Do I even need those keys? I read there is a payload called Lockpick_RCM?
You should use Lockpick_RCM to backup your keys. The BIS keys likely won't be needed, but if you screw up your Switch and don't have a NAND backup, BIS keys will be needed. Some types of bricks require a NAND backup for recovery, however, so don't think the BIS keys are a replacement for a NAND backup.

Reactions: RealSpyKitty

Erixdman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a very noob question. I split my SD into two partitions but I don't really understand why I did that. What is the difference between emummc and sysnand? When I boot to custom firmware I am pretty sure I boot to emummc. Does that mean sysnand is just the original setup for my Nintendo Switch? If so, can I safely go online with the sysnand version?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a very noob question. I split my SD into two partitions but I don't really understand why I did that. What is the difference between emummc and sysnand? When I boot to custom firmware I am pretty sure I boot to emummc. Does that mean sysnand is just the original setup for my Nintendo Switch? If so, can I safely go online with the sysnand version?
The sysNAND is your Switch operating system and associated files on the eMMC. The emuNAND is an emulated copy of the Switch OS and associated files on the SD card.

If you didn't setup an emuNAND properly, you are not booting into an emuNAND.

If you care about online play, you should use all hacks with an offline emuNAND, and you should use a clean sysNAND for online play.

If you don't care about online play, you probably don't need to use an emuNAND, assuming you're using the RCM exploit.

Reactions: Erixdman

Whensuddenly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey I got an RCM related problem I'm wondering if anyone has the solution to: I'm getting update nag so I changed my Wi-fi settings to block nintendo's servers, have auto RCM enabled (because its so annoying to get into RCM otherwise) but I'm still getting update nag). I was told to change some settings in maintenance mode but I can't access with auto RCM (I was told to launch any FW in hekate and immediately hold + and - but it just loops me back to hekate...) Is there any other way to get in maintenance mode or some other way to remove update nag?

RavageMyRiven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
had a question revolving around emunand and ofw about dlcs. If i ran my cartridge botw in emunand with the dlc's, and then proceeded to go into ofw (with no 90dns) afterwards, would that light any redflags by nintendo?

Dade_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have got lost in the amount of all this information. I want to update my switch from 6.2 to 8.1.

I currently have atmosphere running. When I did it first time, I have followed all the recommendations and saved all the keys/nands and what not.

My understanding that now I should:
- Find 8.1 update. Use something to update without burning fuses?
- Add some keys? So that games work?
- What about the saved games? Will it continue working/saved data present. Or do I need to do something?

If someone could point me right direction that would be a life saving..

Edit1: Is it safe to update to 8.1 directly? or I need to do 7.0.0 -> 7.0.1 -> 8.0.0 -> 8.0.1 -> 8.1.0?

Last edited by Dade_,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I got an RCM related problem I'm wondering if anyone has the solution to: I'm getting update nag so I changed my Wi-fi settings to block nintendo's servers, have auto RCM enabled (because its so annoying to get into RCM otherwise) but I'm still getting update nag). I was told to change some settings in maintenance mode but I can't access with auto RCM (I was told to launch any FW in hekate and immediately hold + and - but it just loops me back to hekate...) Is there any other way to get in maintenance mode or some other way to remove update nag?
If you have AutoRCM installed, why not update? Keeping AutoRCM installed will prevent your fuse count from changing, allowing you to downgrade later if you want.

Also, if you are using CFW, you should not connect to the internet without 90DNS and/or Incognito installed. In addition to preventing auto updates, it will also prevent you from being banned.

had a question revolving around emunand and ofw about dlcs. If i ran my cartridge botw in emunand with the dlc's, and then proceeded to go into ofw (with no 90dns) afterwards, would that light any redflags by nintendo?
Nothing you do on your dirty emuNAND should affect your clean sysNAND.

My understanding that now I should:
- Find 8.1 update. Use something to update without burning fuses?
If you don't care about online play, then you should use ChoiDujourNX to update to 8.1.0. If you don't want to burn fuses, ChoiDujourNX will automatically install AutoRCM during the update process.

- Add some keys? So that games work?
When you update, you need to make sure you also update your CFW and signature patches for game backups to work.

- What about the saved games? Will it continue working/saved data present. Or do I need to do something?
Save games should be unaffected by a system update. It is recommended that you use Checkpoint to periodically backup decrypted versions of all important save games and store them somewhere safe online, just in case something happens to your Switch.

Edit1: Is it safe to update to 8.1 directly? or I need to do 7.0.0 -> 7.0.1 -> 8.0.0 -> 8.0.1 -> 8.1.0?
You can update to 8.1.0 directly. There is no reason to do it the other way.

I recommend following these instructions to get everything working and update to 8.1.0, assuming you don't care about online play:
  1. Remove all CFW files/folders from your SD card (that would be folders like /sept/ and /atmosphere/)
  2. Download the latest Atmosphere from github (currently 0.9.2)
  3. Download the latest fusee-primary (next to Atmosphere)
  4. Download these signature patches
  5. Put Atmosphere and the signature patches onto your SD card
  6. Download the 8.1.0 system update files
  7. Put the 8.1.0 folder onto the root of your SD card
  8. Download ChoiDujourDX and put it into the /switch/ folder on your SD card
  9. Put the SD into your Switch
  10. Boot your Switch into RCM
  11. Launch Atmosphere using fusee-primary
  12. Update to 8.1.0 using ChoiDujourDX. If you don't want AutoRCM installed as a way to preserve fuses and/or conveniently load RCM, make sure you untick that option. If you do want AutoRCM installed, keep that option ticked. If your SD card is formatted as exFAT, make sure you install "8.1.0 (exFAT)" in ChoiDujourDX.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Dade_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, every since his partner left luke hasn't been the same