Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My NAND backup is 8.0.1, and when I restored it, my switch was in 8.1.0 which i updated through regular nintendo. And i did not have AutoRCM enabled, I doubt anything i put into my switch changed the settings but I never enabled it in the first place.
I do not know my fuse count :/
Alright based on what you have said, you are booting a firmware lower than your fuse count. The reason I say this is because you updated to 8.1.0 without AutoRCM meaning you burnt fuses and have a fuse count of 10 which is greater than the expected fuse count of your NAND backup's firmware which is 9. The only way out of this predicament is by manually rebooting into RCM. If you cannot, your console will remain soft-bricked until you can re-enter RCM.

Mixitrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright based on what you have said, you are booting a firmware lower than your fuse count. The reason I say this is because you updated to 8.1.0 without AutoRCM meaning you burnt fuses and have a fuse count of 10 which is greater than the expected fuse count of your NAND backup's firmware which is 9. The only way out of this predicament is by manually rebooting into RCM. If you cannot, your console will remain soft-bricked until you can re-enter RCM.

Yeah, I managed to boot into RCM and boot into Atmosphere. Does this mean that my Sysnand is now inaccessible and I can only boot into my emummc now??

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I managed to boot into RCM and boot into Atmosphere. Does this mean that my Sysnand is now inaccessible and I can only boot into my emummc now??
Well, you can boot into your SysNAND but only by using RCM. If you update SysNAND to firmware 8.1.0, you will not need to use RCM to boot into it.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im kind of inept at this, so excuse me when i ask how do i boot into SysNAND with RCM? :huh:
The reason your console is not turning on normally is because the stock bootloader is checking the fuse count of your firmware with the fuse count of the console. Since they don't match, it doesn't allow you to turn on your console. However if you use a substitute bootloader that bypasses this fuse check, your console can turn on. The substitute bootloaders are the payloads that are designed to boot CFW such as Hekate, Fusee, ReiNX, etc. But to use them, you have to be in RCM. Meaning you can only boot your console while the firmware is lower than the fuse count with a payload.

Mixitrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason your console is not turning on normally is because the stock bootloader is checking the fuse count of your firmware with the fuse count of the console. Since they don't match, it doesn't allow you to turn on your console. However if you use a substitute bootloader that bypasses this fuse check, your console can turn on. The substitute bootloaders are the payloads that are designed to boot CFW such as Hekate, Fusee, ReiNX, etc. But to use them, you have to be in RCM. Meaning you can only boot your console while the firmware is lower than the fuse count with a payload.

Alright. How can i update my EmuNAND without going online?

Cey

full of bees
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easiest is probably ReiNX as it not only is free but bundles everything you need into one package.

In that case, you would use EmuNAND to run the latest firmware without breaking the firmware compatibility on SysNAND for untethered coldboot. And EmuNAND is now available for free CFW via Atmosphere albeit unstable and limited to hidden partition.

As for when you should dump your NAND, do it as soon as possible. While your chance of bricking is next to impossible while setting up CFW, you never know when you will run into issues.

Also I personally update without burning fuses all the time. What I do is download the system update in Hekate's stock mode (Hekate is another payload that also doubles as a bootloader aka tool for booting CFW), delete my Internet settings, make sure AutoRCM is enabled, then install the system update offline while running CFW. Normally AutoRCM is removed during a system update but if you are running the latest CFW, they prevent AutoRCM from being removed. I should also mention AutoRCM is the key to avoid burning fuses. The way fuses are burnt is that the console's bootloader checks the firmware with the fuse count. If they match, your console is allowed passage. If there are too few fuses burnt compared to the firmware, it will burn fuses so that they match then allow the Switch to boot. If too many fuses are burnt compared to the firmware, your console will not boot and the screen stays black which is a "soft brick" (soft because if you perform a manual shutdown, which is holding the Power button for 12 seconds, you can exit out of the brick). For reference, the list of fuses and their respective firmware versions can be found here. Anyway I have been doing that method of updating without burning fuses for several months now and I have not been banned yet.

With this method, is it possible to play online while running the newer firmware without burnt fuses? Can Nintendo check how many fuses are burnt on a system versus what firmware is playing online?

hollowtip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried updating to 8.1 using SX OS Pro and Choidejour but I'm getting a black screen when trying to boot (Trying to play Mario Maker 2). I have an old NAND backup that I'm hoping to use to restore my system because I stupidly didn't back up before updating. Am I screwed or can I use my old Nand backup?

I don't even know if I backup my Nand right either. It's showing 24GB and I heard it's supposed to be 32 :(

Last edited by hollowtip,

Mixitrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i updated my emunand to 8.1.0 with ChoiDujuorNX, but now that I have a burnt fuse, does this mean I can't go online with my regular Sysnand?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this method, is it possible to play online while running the newer firmware without burnt fuses? Can Nintendo check how many fuses are burnt on a system versus what firmware is playing online?
While they can theoretically, they have shown no resolve in doing so. Otherwise I would have been banned a very long time ago.

Just tried updating to 8.1 using SX OS Pro and Choidejour but I'm getting a black screen when trying to boot (Trying to play Mario Maker 2). I have an old NAND backup that I'm hoping to use to restore my system because I stupidly didn't back up before updating. Am I screwed or can I use my old Nand backup?

I don't even know if I backup my Nand right either. It's showing 24GB and I heard it's supposed to be 32 :(
What format is your SD card? And did you choose exFAT when updating with ChoiDujourNX?

So i updated my emunand to 8.1.0 with ChoiDujuorNX, but now that I have a burnt fuse, does this mean I can't go online with my regular Sysnand?
Well it just means you cannot boot normally into your SysNAND.

Mixitrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it just means you cannot boot normally into your SysNAND.

Ok, i'm not understanding. So did I mess up and can't get into my SysNand (OFW) to enjoy the online functionalities, so I can only play offline games through my EmuMMC now? Or am I good and I'm just not seeing something here?

Injecting Hekate's payload and choosing "Reboot (Normal)" still leads me to a black screen

Last edited by Mixitrion,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, i'm not understanding. So did I mess up and can't get into my SysNand (OFW) to enjoy the online functionalities, so I can only play offline games through my EmuMMC now? Or am I good and I'm just not seeing something here?
Your fuse count is 10. But the firmware of your SysNAND is 9. They do not match. Because they don't match, you cannot boot into SysNAND normally. The only way to boot into SysNAND is by either booting into RCM and using a substitute bootloader to bypass the fuse check or updating the firmware of SysNAND to match the fuse count so it boots normally.

Yes it was exfat. But I didn't use ChoiDujuorNX. I used ChoiDujuor 1.1.0 to update which I think might be part of the problem :(
Then its impossible for you to have updated to 8.1 with ChoiDujour because it doesn't support any firmware above 6.1 meaning it would have failed to convert your 8.1 firmware files.

Mixitrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your fuse count is 10. But the firmware of your SysNAND is 9. They do not match. Because they don't match, you cannot boot into SysNAND normally. The only way to boot into SysNAND is by either booting into RCM and using a substitute bootloader to bypass the fuse check or updating the firmware of SysNAND to match the fuse count so it boots normally.

Is there a way to update Sysnand if I can't access it?

hollowtip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why am I now getting a black screen then? I can't boot into either CFW or OFW now. How do I check the version of ChoiDujuor that's on my SD card just to be sure?

***Nevermind The readme is on the SD card and it says it's version 1.01. Should I have updated to the latest version of ChoiDujuorNX before updating to 8.1? Are there known issues using the 1.01 updating to 8.1?

Last edited by hollowtip,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to update Sysnand if I can't access it?

Then its impossible for you to have updated to 8.1 with ChoiDujour because it doesn't support any firmware above 6.1 meaning it would have failed to convert your 8.1 firmware files.
I feel like you are not reading anything I have written.

Why am I now getting a black screen then? I can't boot into either CFW or OFW now. How do I check the version of ChoiDujuor that's on my SD card just to be sure?
I have no idea what you did since ChoiDujour literally does not support 8.1 meaning it was impossible for you to precede in the first place. Also ChoiDujour doesn't go on the SD card. It is a Windows program.

hollowtip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I was mistaken. I used ChoiDujuorNX 1.01 to upgrade to 8.1. are there known issues if I use this version and not the latest version?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I was mistaken. I used ChoiDujuorNX 1.01 to upgrade to 8.1. are there known issues if I use this version and not the latest version?
I know there are issues with Atmosphere but I haven't heard any with SX OS. And if you used ChoiDujourNX, you still haven't indicated if you chose the exFAT or non-exFAT version of the firmware during the installation.

hollowtip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there are issues with Atmosphere but I haven't heard any with SX OS. And if you used ChoiDujourNX, you still haven't indicated if you chose the exFAT or non-exFAT version of the firmware during the installation.

I used the exFat, which is the same format as the SD card.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the exFat, which is the same format as the SD card.
Well first try seeing if you can boot other CFW like ReiNX or Atmosphere. It also wouldn't hurt reformatting the SD card to FAT32 as exFAT can corrupt your SD card and possibly prevent you from booting CFW. If those fail, then you may need to restore your NAND backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.