Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

randomgbanoob123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there a way to port cataclysm dark days ahead to the switch somehow? It's a small dos like game written in C++?

Is there a Nintendo switch keyboard? Or at least a wireless keyboard that you guys recommend? Google says keyboards can be used but neglects to say how...

WRO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
Do I need to dump the titlekeys with Lockpick?

Dumping titlekeys are failed twice. I do not have games installed is that why?

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
  1. CTCaer is the name of a developer of Hekate and his fork is the only that's public
  2. It does but it generates a kip that not only has to be loaded alongside the other kips but is firmware-specific meaning it will have to be regenerated every time you change firmware. That method of preventing the update is outdated hence why no one uses ChoiDujour to update their firmware without burning fuses
  3. That just involves updating EmuNAND, not SysNAND
  4. You can technically boot OFW without burning fuses. Hekate has a Stock Launch Profile which is Hekate's version of OFW. It applies none of the CFW patches but since you are booting OFW through Hekate, you won't burn any fuses because Hekate disables the fuse check. As for booting non-RCM OFW with AutoRCM, if you ever update the system online, it will remove AutoRCM and subsequently burn fuses
  5. SX OS runs both and they're both equally interchangeable now. .XCI files are slower and larger than .NSP files but unlike .NSP files, .XCI files can be read and loaded straight from the HDD while .NSP files must first be installed and can only be installed to the internal memory or an SD card, not an HDD
  6. Wasn't a part of the PSP scene but .XCI files are 1:1 copies of cartridges and because games don't take up the full space on the cartridge, there is a lot of empty space in the .XCI file itself that artificially inflates its size. Trimming removes this dead space. You also cannot trim a .NSP file as that is the smallest version of a game. Now since I don't own SX OS, I don't use .XCI files that often and as such, am unaware of the trimmers available. But if you look them up Google, you should be able to find one
  7. These are installed whenever you install a firmware update. They are usually the first message you see after installing a new firmware. As long as you haven't modded your Joy-Con to bridge pins 9 & 10 together, these are safe to perform
  8. There is no FAT32 version of firmware; the console supports FAT32 out of the box. exFAT is not supported on the console without a patch which you can either obtained officially from Nintendo themselves or with homebrew. Thus you have more to lose when you don't apply the exFAT version of the firmware you are installing because you get less support that way.
Also since you just copied and pasted that other dude's post without seeing the response I made afterwards, I'll just copy and paste my response.

1. Got it!

2. Oh, but I thought that using ChoiDuJour (not NX) was your recommended method for updating without burning fuses, as it can be done from the RCM without even booting into the OFW/CFW? Now I'm confused. What exactly should I do to update without burning any fuses AND preventing the cartridge slot from updating?

3. I know, I'm just trying to understand the difference between updating using ChoiDuJour (not NX) and using ChoiDuJourNX after loading SX OS and creating an EmuNAND. The second method looks easier.

4.1 Okay, so if I use Hekate as the payload/bootloader, I can boot into the OFW (which will be at whatever version I updated using Choi) without worrying about burning fuses?
4.2 Is it the same in SX OS, where it gives you two boot options? No need to worry about fuses?
4.3 I'm not planning on manually disabling AutoRCM or even going online (let alone updating online via OFW), my concern is AutoRCM being automatically disabled somehow and accidentally booting into the OFW without first going into RCM/using a bootloader, consequently burning fuses. Can that happen?

5.1 When you say "slower", do you mean in loading times? I don't mind the file size, because I have a 128GB card and will be playing mostly first-party titles, but I'd like to have the fastest loading times available.
5.2 I didn't even know you could use an HDD. Does it have to be connected to the Switch itself or can it be plugged into one of the dock's USB ports?

6. Understood! So NSPs are always available in the smallest possible size?

7. So they're performed alongside the firmware update even if I use Choi to do so? I want to keep my controllers up-to-date, since they have nothing to do with possible exploits.

8. Ah, so you don't have to choose between one or the other. It starts as FAT32-compatible only, and then you can patch to add support for exFAT, but still use FAT32 if you'd like?

And I did see your response to Charli. I added some comments to the list in parenthesis. :)

Thanks again for your patience!

3. yes, dumping the BIS keys is optional
6. yup, enabling AutoRCM is unnecessary since it's auto enabled by Choi, as Draxzelex explained :)
7. I mean OFW = the official/original Switch Firmware by Nintendo. I Don't want to start using custom Firmware (CFW) like ReiNX or Atmosphère just yet. (So I can still go online without worrying so much about getting my Switch banned)
8. I'll probably do that too
9. yes, a legit copy. But I'm not bypassing the Firmware requirements. The whole process I described updates my switch to 6.2.0 (but without burning any fuses) so I can fulfill the Firmware requirements and play Pokémon.
By the way, Hekate is not a CFW, it's just a bootloader to boot into CFW (or OFW or do NAND backups). Not sure if the terminology might have confused you there ;)

7. But how are you planning on booting into the OFW? Using Hekate, as Draxzelex mentioned is possible? Not by ignorning RCM, I assume?

9. Related to 7: are you going to update using ChoiDuJourNX or the regular ChoiDuJour via RCM? And then you'd boot into the OFW from Hekate, that way you can play all legit games up to 6.2.0?

10. An extra question: are you going to be playing those legit games in cartridge form? Are you aware that once you update past 4.0.0, you can't revert the cartridge slot to its original state even if you downgrade the firmware (unless you select that option in Choi, I believe)?

That's one of my main concerns regarding my Switch. If I ever downgrade, I'd like for it to revert to the same state as it was when I took it out of the box - everything 1.0.0, including the cartridge slot, as it may be required for a future warmboot or coldboot exploit.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to dump the titlekeys with Lockpick?

Dumping titlekeys are failed twice. I do not have games installed is that why?
If you don't have any games installed, you don't have any titlekeys to dump. And titlekeys are only for decrypting installed content such as games, updates, and DLC.
is there a drawback to installing nsp on sx os? meaning, as long as im running emunand it shouldnt matter what i do correct?
Nope.
1. Got it!

2. Oh, but I thought that using ChoiDuJour (not NX) was your recommended method for updating without burning fuses, as it can be done from the RCM without even booting into the OFW/CFW? Now I'm confused. What exactly should I do to update without burning any fuses AND preventing the cartridge slot from updating?

3. I know, I'm just trying to understand the difference between updating using ChoiDuJour (not NX) and using ChoiDuJourNX after loading SX OS and creating an EmuNAND. The second method looks easier.

4.1 Okay, so if I use Hekate as the payload/bootloader, I can boot into the OFW (which will be at whatever version I updated using Choi) without worrying about burning fuses?
4.2 Is it the same in SX OS, where it gives you two boot options? No need to worry about fuses?
4.3 I'm not planning on manually disabling AutoRCM or even going online (let alone updating online via OFW), my concern is AutoRCM being automatically disabled somehow and accidentally booting into the OFW without first going into RCM/using a bootloader, consequently burning fuses. Can that happen?

5.1 When you say "slower", do you mean in loading times? I don't mind the file size, because I have a 128GB card and will be playing mostly first-party titles, but I'd like to have the fastest loading times available.
5.2 I didn't even know you could use an HDD. Does it have to be connected to the Switch itself or can it be plugged into one of the dock's USB ports?

6. Understood! So NSPs are always available in the smallest possible size?

7. So they're performed alongside the firmware update even if I use Choi to do so? I want to keep my controllers up-to-date, since they have nothing to do with possible exploits.

8. Ah, so you don't have to choose between one or the other. It starts as FAT32-compatible only, and then you can patch to add support for exFAT, but still use FAT32 if you'd like?

And I did see your response to Charli. I added some comments to the list in parenthesis. :)

Thanks again for your patience!
2. A little history. ChoiDujour was the first tool to come out that not only installs any firmware we want but it let us do it without burning fuses. Problem was it wasn't on the Switch and it also took a really long time to complete. Then ChoiDujourNX was released which even the original author now recommends using and its much faster and user-friendly. No one, at least that I know of, uses ChoiDujour to update without burning fuses. Nowadays its more so to rebuild the NAND in case you don't have a NAND backup. It doesn't even support firmware 6.2 and there is no indication it will be updated to support that or higher firmwares.
3. ChoiDujourNX is easier for reasons explained above
4. Both Hekate and SX OS past V1.2 disable the fuse check. And I've already listed the ways AutoRCM can be disabled so I already answered this question
5. There was a video that compared load times with .NSP and .XCI versions of the same time but that YouTuber got removed most likely because they featured a lot of console hacking on their channel especially with SX OS. Thankfully, there is still a reddit thread with the comparisons. Your mileage is still going to vary depending on SD card and game but objectively, .NSP files are faster than .XCI files. Although there's no testing with the HDD that I know of, I'd imagine its even slower since that involves artificially routing the Switch's system to work with the HDD which can be plugged into the dock as well.
6. Yes
7. They're not performed alongside the firmware update; they just come with the firmware update. As I previously stated, after you install the firmware update, the first thing you will see is a message to update your Joy-Cons
8. The Switch has to support something right? Most, if not all, of the Switch's internal memory is formatted to FAT32

Reactions: CapCaveman

WRO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
Also what would be the consequence of updating an game that has an update through CFW? Is this even
possible to do with Nintendo DNS Block? If not, how do we update our backups that we did on Xecutor's
Dumping Tool to the most recent version when there is no third-party release of such update readily
found in the Internet.

(Update)
In order to convert XCIs to NSPs for use on NS-Atmosphere I must use XCI2TitleConverter correct?

What happens to Nintendo Switch if I do not enter Recovery Mode and just turn on the console, would
I enter the Original System Version?

I trying downloading XCI Explorer to view more information like language support. But, Windows
Defender marks it as a Trojan. Can it be trusted? I trusted want to see if my games support German
with changing the language every single time.

Thanks a lot Draxzelex, you been of much help. :)

Last edited by WRO,

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you don't have any games installed, you don't have any titlekeys to dump. And titlekeys are only for decrypting installed content such as games, updates, and DLC.
Nope.

2. A little history. ChoiDujour was the first tool to come out that not only installs any firmware we want but it let us do it without burning fuses. Problem was it wasn't on the Switch and it also took a really long time to complete. Then ChoiDujourNX was released which even the original author now recommends using and its much faster and user-friendly. No one, at least that I know of, uses ChoiDujour to update without burning fuses. Nowadays its more so to rebuild the NAND in case you don't have a NAND backup. It doesn't even support firmware 6.2 and there is no indication it will be updated to support that or higher firmwares.
3. ChoiDujourNX is easier for reasons explained above
4. Both Hekate and SX OS past V1.2 disable the fuse check. And I've already listed the ways AutoRCM can be disabled so I already answered this question
5. There was a video that compared load times with .NSP and .XCI versions of the same time but that YouTuber got removed most likely because they featured a lot of console hacking on their channel especially with SX OS. Thankfully, there is still a reddit thread with the comparisons. Your mileage is still going to vary depending on SD card and game but objectively, .NSP files are faster than .XCI files. Although there's no testing with the HDD that I know of, I'd imagine its even slower since that involves artificially routing the Switch's system to work with the HDD which can be plugged into the dock as well.
6. Yes
7. They're not performed alongside the firmware update; they just come with the firmware update. As I previously stated, after you install the firmware update, the first thing you will see is a message to update your Joy-Cons
8. The Switch has to support something right? Most, if not all, of the Switch's internal memory is formatted to FAT32

2/3. I got confused because I was going by your recommendation on this post, where you mentioned using ChoiDuJour (not NX) as the best option, since it's performed at the RCM level and ChoiNX would require booting into the CFW first and then loading the homebrew. I'm not sure what difference would it make accessing the CFW before or after an update. And, like you said on your last reply, ChoiDuJourNX really seems like the way to go.

4. Yes, you mentioned that AutoRCM gets disabled if you perform a system update via OFW. But is it disabled after the console is turned off completely (either manually or because the battery is drained)? I've read conflicting reports about that and want to make sure that AutoRCM always stays on, even if that means never fully turning off the Switch.

Something very important that I forgot to ask: I know some CFWs have the "ignore update" function and can run games that require newer firmware regardless of the installed version (such as Smash - it asks for 6.2.0, but there are people playing it on 5.1.0).

Is that available on SX OS? If so, what is the lowest possible firmware version that I can use?

As for the rest, I think I got it. Thanks, as always.

WRO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
Now that Dat-o-Matic has made there Nintendo Switch section private, what is good source
other than Rom News to view the Title ID and Language Support of game? Thanks.

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
7. But how are you planning on booting into the OFW? Using Hekate, as Draxzelex mentioned is possible? Not by ignorning RCM, I assume?

9. Related to 7: are you going to update using ChoiDuJourNX or the regular ChoiDuJour via RCM? And then you'd boot into the OFW from Hekate, that way you can play all legit games up to 6.2.0?

10. An extra question: are you going to be playing those legit games in cartridge form? Are you aware that once you update past 4.0.0, you can't revert the cartridge slot to its original state even if you downgrade the firmware (unless you select that option in Choi, I believe)?

That's one of my main concerns regarding my Switch. If I ever downgrade, I'd like for it to revert to the same state as it was when I took it out of the box - everything 1.0.0, including the cartridge slot, as it may be required for a future warmboot or coldboot exploit.

7. & 9. yes to all :) The process is: booting into RCM, inject Hekate as a payload, boot to OFW through Hekate. Every time after I fully powered down my Switch.
I'm currently trying to use ChoiDuJour following the explanations here, but as Draxzelex said, it really is quite a hassle... ChoiDuJour currently won't accept the Keys I'm providing and I'm not sure why. Also ChoiDujour doesn't support 6.2.0 so I'll be installing 6.1.0 for now.

10. yes, that is my plan. No, I wasn't aware that the cartridge slot was somehow updated. You say a console on something newer than 4.0.0 will already have the cartridge slot update? Well, since my Switch is already on 4.1.0 this doesn't concern me ^^

Last edited by Charli,

teefy92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just hacked a Switch on 4.2 using Reinx yesterday, My question is whats the easiest way to update this hacked device to the highest stock firmware? And is reinx supported on this firmware? As The switch was brand new i havent touched it since getting it and least I want is micro sdxc support. Also would there be any issues using a game cartridge to update it too?

Also was contemplating dual booting different CFW using hekate how would one go about doing this?

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just hacked a Switch on 4.2 using Reinx yesterday, My question is whats the easiest way to update this hacked device to the highest stock firmware? And is reinx supported on this firmware? As The switch was brand new i havent touched it since getting it and least I want is micro sdxc support. Also would there be any issues using a game cartridge to update it too?

Also was contemplating dual booting different CFW using hekate how would one go about doing this?

ChoidujourNX

Add configurations to hekate ini file and away you go

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Everyone points to this guide:

threads/how-to-install-run-any-switch-firmware-unofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

to fix my issue but I am currently stuck on Step 7 since I can't get into CFW to get the prod.keys file.

can't boot any CFW? what firmware version are you trying to install? if it's 6.1 and under you can find the appropriate keys online with a google search

teefy92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ChoidujourNX

Add configurations to hekate ini file and away you go

Awesome, and reinx works 100% on 6.2? Would choidjourNX require any other prior steps aside from installing such as just opening the application and I can just install the firmware i desire.

Or would it be best to use Atmosphere on 6.2? Primarily want to use a CFW so I can launch my backups?

Also 6.2 does not break any of the CFW? And as long as my device isnt a patched serial I can always update? is this statement true I just dont want to end up having a non hackable device.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Awesome, and reinx works 100% on 6.2? Would choidjourNX require any other prior steps aside from installing such as just opening the application and I can just install the firmware i desire.

Or would it be best to use Atmosphere on 6.2? Primarily want to use a CFW so I can launch my backups?

Also 6.2 does not break any of the CFW? And as long as my device isnt a patched serial I can always update? is this statement true I just dont want to end up having a non hackable device.

Pretty much, just choose exfat option and have leave autorcm on

All CFW is compatible on 6.2

Yeah, just make sure you use 90dns to block updates and make sure you don't update until the cfw is supported on the firmware

teefy92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty much, just choose exfat option and have leave autorcm on

All CFW is compatible on 6.2

Yeah, just make sure you use 90dns to block updates and make sure you don't update until the cfw is supported on the firmware

Awesome thank you so much, right ill get started then, also erm last question full nand backup on current firmware 4.0/4.2 or should i update and then do it?

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

duhzon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hello friends, last time i saw anything about the homebrew scene only few switchs wich had serial number before a fabrication data was good to cfc my question is how the things are up to date? any switch can be hacked? and one more thing: how the games are booting with these and wich tutorial up to date i can follow to hack my switch? i have expercie only with 3ds and wii homebrew wich boot games from homebrew chanellour install cios so im really noob in switch homebrew. Thx in advice

daijobu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why is SX OS stuck at 2.0.1 for the non-beta updates? I want to use SX OS cheats from 2.1 but it's always in Beta. Is it stable to use? Thanks

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hello friends, last time i saw anything about the homebrew scene only few switchs wich had serial number before a fabrication data was good to cfc my question is how the things are up to date? any switch can be hacked? and one more thing: how the games are booting with these and wich tutorial up to date i can follow to hack my switch? i have expercie only with 3ds and wii homebrew wich boot games from homebrew chanellour install cios so im really noob in switch homebrew. Thx in advice

Ahoi there mate, welcome to GBAtemp :)
There are probably others here who can answer you in greater detail, but I'll tell you what I've gathered over the last week trying to fiddle around with my Switch ;)
It's still pretty much the case, that your Switch needs to have a certain serial number. Switches bought roughly around June or later (I think) are not vulnerable to the Fusée Gelée exploit (They have a bootrom ipatch applied to them during manufacturing). You can look up if your Switch is vulnerable in this thread.
This is a really nice tutorial with all the info you need to hack your Switch: https://guide.sdsetup.com

There's a Homebrew App Store that you can install on your hacked switch. I haven't tried it yet but that is probably the easiest way to try some Homebrew.
Good luck! :switch:

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also what would be the consequence of updating an game that has an update through CFW? Is this even
possible to do with Nintendo DNS Block? If not, how do we update our backups that we did on Xecutor's
Dumping Tool to the most recent version when there is no third-party release of such update readily
found in the Internet.

(Update)
In order to convert XCIs to NSPs for use on NS-Atmosphere I must use XCI2TitleConverter correct?

What happens to Nintendo Switch if I do not enter Recovery Mode and just turn on the console, would
I enter the Original System Version?

I trying downloading XCI Explorer to view more information like language support. But, Windows
Defender marks it as a Trojan. Can it be trusted? I trusted want to see if my games support German
with changing the language every single time.

Thanks a lot Draxzelex, you been of much help. :)
You can update games online via CFW but you risk a ban by doing so which will prevent you from being able to download updates on your console. You cannot update games with a DNS blocker such as 90DNS or TX's Stealth Mode since those simulate a ban by blocking all of Nintendo's servers. The other way to update your games is by downloading their respective updates in .NSP format and installing them with your respective title manager/installer.

Converting .XCI files to .NSP format involves either 4NXCI or xci2nsp

I have never used XCI Explorer before

2/3. I got confused because I was going by your recommendation on this post, where you mentioned using ChoiDuJour (not NX) as the best option, since it's performed at the RCM level and ChoiNX would require booting into the CFW first and then loading the homebrew. I'm not sure what difference would it make accessing the CFW before or after an update. And, like you said on your last reply, ChoiDuJourNX really seems like the way to go.

4. Yes, you mentioned that AutoRCM gets disabled if you perform a system update via OFW. But is it disabled after the console is turned off completely (either manually or because the battery is drained)? I've read conflicting reports about that and want to make sure that AutoRCM always stays on, even if that means never fully turning off the Switch.

Something very important that I forgot to ask: I know some CFWs have the "ignore update" function and can run games that require newer firmware regardless of the installed version (such as Smash - it asks for 6.2.0, but there are people playing it on 5.1.0).

Is that available on SX OS? If so, what is the lowest possible firmware version that I can use?

As for the rest, I think I got it. Thanks, as always.
2/3 While ChoiDujour is theoretically less detectable, that doesn't mean its the preferred way to update; it just means its less detectable, that's it. Combine the facts that it doesn't support 6.2 and that it is a very long process to update without burning fuses using ChoiDujour and you will easily see that people will trade detectability for user-friendliness
4. AutoRCM is a brick but a fairly reversible one. What it does is corrupts boot0 of your console which is a part of the NAND. Since boot0 is corrutped, the only way to uncorrupt it would be with something that writes/repairs boot0 such as a system update. If AutoRCM was removed when the battery dies, people might have less reservations about it. That's because AutoRCM reduces the charge rate in RCM. Normally, one shouldn't charge the console in RCM but if the battery dies, it can only charge in RCM since it doesn't even have enough battery to accept a payload and boot CFW/OFW (Horizon).
5. CFW do not come an "ignore update" function. There is only one homebrew application with a feature close to the one you are describing which is Tinfoil. Not even SX OS has such a valuable feature. And this feature does not ignore all firmware requirements. But more importantly, Smash doesn't require 6.2 in the slightest. The base game requires 5.1. The updates may require 6.2 but 1.1, at least, has been patched to work on 5.1 and above.
Now that Dat-o-Matic has made there Nintendo Switch section private, what is good source
other than Rom News to view the Title ID and Language Support of game? Thanks.
This thread has a list of alternatives.

Only those with unpatched serial numbers can be hacked due to the exploit relying on the hardware of the console which you can check here. And the tutorial to follow will depend on the CFW you wish to use. I will list the 3 main ones the Switch scene has to offer.
ReiNX: https://reinx.guide/
SX OS: https://sx.xecuter.com/
Atmosphere: https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/
Why is SX OS stuck at 2.0.1 for the non-beta updates? I want to use SX OS cheats from 2.1 but it's always in Beta. Is it stable to use? Thanks
This is going to be speculation as there is no right answer for this. Gateway pulled similar shenanigans once free CFW caught up to their product. They were even pushing out updates before Gateway had a chance which resulted in them "stealing" from the open-source community. Coupled with the fact that there was an entire Brickgate fiasco with 2.0.2b, Gateway ended up making it a habit to name all of their releases as "betas". This way, any issues with the CFW can be swept under the rug due to it being a "beta" but they can remain relevant by still pushing out updates. While there is no official evidence, a lot of the tactics used by Gateway are eerily similar used by this new "TX". Although I could list all of the reasons why this may be the case, whatever reasoning Gateway used for labeling its updates as "betas" can basically be applied to TX.

turtlejay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone point me to a reliable explanation on how to extract a switch firmware update from an xci? im assuming ssbu has the latest firmware required to play on the cartridge and therefore most xci's out there. I have a few xci managers and can see the root of the xci but i have no idea what i need to pull

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol