GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello,
I have bricmii/autoRCM questions.
sorry, they might be redundant, depends on previous answers.

1)
I've read there are two different methods, and ChoixDuJour using one of the two, not being compatible with the other one.
someone can provide a quick explanation on the differences? what are they doing differently? are one more permanent than the other? aren't they both patching the boot loader?
why are they "not compatible" ? maybe just because choixdujour look for only one memory location to edit/restore it, and doesn't touch the other location? if the other location is known, it could check its state too.

edit: 1-bis)
which are identical and compatible or different from all existing solutions:
- Hekate AutoRCM
- Bricmii
- ChoixDuJour
- SX
- other?

specifically, is Hekate AutoRCM same as Choixdujour AutoRCM ?

2)
AutoRCM is a modified Boot loader, but Clean Boot loader is also part of the game/network update?
I've read if we update officially, we lose AutoRMC.
If I insert a game cartridge with a new firmware, it will ask me before updating, or update the console silently? will it fix AutoRCM's change and potentially burn efuse?
if I have a cartridge with higher firmware, I suppose it's best to extract the files and update with choixdujour using the extracted files.

3)
Are both old and new brickMii/AutoRCM method affected by an official firmware update?

4) When editing the firmware with ChoixDuJour, if you already have AutoRCM, do we need to still choose AutoRCM state or does it keep the current state?
can't it just skip overwriting boot code or is it always replaced because part of the firmware update and need to be repatched?

5)
I know it's everywhere, sorry, just asking here to get all answers at the same places.
I've read if you shutdown using nintendo's official "shutdown console" method, it's not really shutdown but just back in RCM mode, that's why the battery is drained.
how to properly/really shutdown ? Keep pressed for very long? or press power once again while in RCM ?

I rarely (never) shutdown and always keep it plugged, so it's not a big issue, just trying to get proper answer to help other users with that issue.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: thorasgar

werneck14

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes. You can get banned for doing anything with cfw. Check the pinned thread for more info.

AFAIK you'll have to reinstall everything, but make an SD card backup and backup your saves with jksv or something and you should be able to restore everything fairly quickly

I've used ftpd with SX os in the past, and honestly I've been fairly reckless with hacks, and I'm not banned, so take that as you will. If your going to be using ctw at all tho, you have to be expecting a ban at some point or another. I don't know how the games know about the update. I remember reading about it somewhere but I can't remember where exactly. One of the other members will have to help you on that one.

If you read the stickied threads for this sub and the homebrew one, you should know pretty much all you need to start with hacking your switch. The differences between the cfws is that reinx is free, as opposed to you having to pay for SX os, and reinx can't run xci games, while SX can

So after restoring clean Nand and wanting to go back to ReiNX CFW i would need to transfer my nsp to the sd card and install it again with tinfoil?

Red_Squirrel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.psp-cheats.it
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, I would ask just a curiosity: I just bought a Switch, would be better to backup the NAND before to even initialize it (I mean first run, configuration, account, etc...) or it's useless and/or it's better to backup a NAND after the initial configuration? Thx

Last edited by Red_Squirrel,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually i just had another question: how urgent is it that i restore my NAND backup? I still have it from back when i first attempted to boot into RCM.
A clean NAND made before hacking is the best way to avoid getting banned for now. If you're going to be restoring the NAND, there's not much point in using 90DNS since you have little to nothing hide.
hello,
I have bricmii/autoRCM questions.
sorry, they might be redundant, depends on previous answers.

1)
I've read there are two different methods, and ChoixDuJour using one of the two, not being compatible with the other one.
someone can provide a quick explanation on the differences? what are they doing differently? are one more permanent than the other? aren't they both patching the boot loader?
why are they "not compatible" ? maybe just because choixdujour look for only one memory location to edit/restore it, and doesn't touch the other location? if the other location is known, it could check its state too.

edit: 1-bis)
which are identical and compatible or different from all existing solutions:
- Hekate AutoRCM
- Bricmii
- ChoixDuJour
- SX
- other?

specifically, is Hekate AutoRCM same as Choixdujour AutoRCM ?

2)
AutoRCM is a modified Boot loader, but Clean Boot loader is also part of the game/network update?
I've read if we update officially, we lose AutoRMC.
If I insert a game cartridge with a new firmware, it will ask me before updating, or update the console silently? will it fix AutoRCM's change and potentially burn efuse?
if I have a cartridge with higher firmware, I suppose it's best to extract the files and update with choixdujour using the extracted files.

3)
Are both old and new brickMii/AutoRCM method affected by an official firmware update?

4) When editing the firmware with ChoixDuJour, if you already have AutoRCM, do we need to still choose AutoRCM state or does it keep the current state?
can't it just skip overwriting boot code or is it always replaced because part of the firmware update and need to be repatched?

5)
I know it's everywhere, sorry, just asking here to get all answers at the same places.
I've read if you shutdown using nintendo's official "shutdown console" method, it's not really shutdown but just back in RCM mode, that's why the battery is drained.
how to properly/really shutdown ? Keep pressed for very long? or press power once again while in RCM ?

I rarely (never) shutdown and always keep it plugged, so it's not a big issue, just trying to get proper answer to help other users with that issue.
  1. Each type of AutoRCM corrupts the BCT in slightly different ways. Removing AutoRCM is trivial when you use the same type of AutoRCM you used to install it (all types of AutoRCM have an option to remove and install it). However, when you corrupt the BCT with more than 1 type of AutoRCM, most types of AutoRCM will not be able to fully remove them as the corruptions may overlap and differ. Functionally there is no difference between any of the different types of AutoRCM. However briccmii is the only one that can remove any and all forms of AutoRCM. Lastly, I believe ChoiDujourNX corrupts the BCT the same way briccmii does so since they were developed by the same person but I could be wrong.
  2. All official updates are designed to repair the BCT which causes the console to reboot so it can burn fuses. This includes the official firmware update, cartridge updates, and the online exFAT update. This is also why it removes AutoRCM. Hence why it is best practice to use ChoiDujourNX to flash the firmware update files as it won't repair the BCT and burn fuses. If you're feeling risky, you can try updating the normal way and cause the console to reboot into RCM when it restarts after installing the update but the success of this depends on how well you can enter RCM on command.
  3. All forms of AutoRCM corrupt the BCT which gets repaired during any system update. Not sure if we can patch the firmware to prevent changes being made to BCT.
  4. ChoiDujourNX overwrites any existing firmware files including any form of AutoRCM. So if you already have it installed, it doesn't make a difference whether you use ChoiDujourNX's option of AutoRCM or not. And outside of rerunning ChoiDujourNX to remove the AutoRCM if it is installed this way, briccmii can reverse it as well
  5. I would highly recommend my thread on how to properly turn off a console with AutoRCM installed.
Hello, I would ask just a curiosity: I just bought a Switch, would be better to backup the NAND before to even initialize it (I mean first run, configuration, account, etc...) or it's useless and/or it's better to backup a NAND after the initial configuration? Thx
Please try backing up the NAND before the initial configuration. Also try running briccmii to see how many burnt fuses you have. I want to know if Nintendo burns the fuses before it leaves the factory.

Reactions: thorasgar and Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you.
sorry if it was already answered all over the forum, I'll check your other thread.

edit: (if someone sees it)
just to confirm something.
you said ChoixduJour might be the same as BrickMii, and different than hekate.
I think it's not a problem to start with hekate for AutoRCM with current firmware, because if I update with Choixdujour it will replace the bootloader and will patch it his own way, so it'll not conflict.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Draxzelex

screw_ball69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm currently using SX OX 1.5 and Switch Firmware 5.0.2 with autorcm installed.
after installing the update/dlc for Blazblue Tag Battle it wants me to update the switch to play it, is this necessary/safe to do or have I missed something?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using SX OX 1.5 and Switch Firmware 5.0.2 with autorcm installed.
after installing the update/dlc for Blazblue Tag Battle it wants me to update the switch to play it, is this necessary/safe to do or have I missed something?
If you update officially, it will remove AutoRCM as well as connect your console online which may get you banned. Your alternative is to update to 5.1 using ChoiDoujourNX

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been away for a while and was wondering if there are any consequences of hacking the switch. Is it possible to get banned online or any repercussions for hacking the switch that I am not aware of?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been away for a while and was wondering if there are any consequences of hacking the switch. Is it possible to get banned online or any repercussions for hacking the switch that I am not aware of?
I'd recommend reading up here on all things banning-related. Statistically, all bans thus far have been due to piracy one way or another bar one user who was banned for using homebrew and clearing error logs on 5.X. However since the tool to clear error logs is no longer public, this is not a big concern so homebrew bans are highly unlikely moving forward.

Reactions: TheMagicMan

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend reading up here on all things banning-related. Statistically, all bans thus far have been due to piracy one way or another bar one user who was banned for using homebrew and clearing error logs on 5.X. However since the tool to clear error logs is no longer public, this is not a big concern so homebrew bans are highly unlikely moving forward.

Alright, thanks for the information.

Reactions: Draxzelex

McPringles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there source and documentation for LayeredFS somewhere? I keep seeing it pop up in relation to Atmosphere, but I'm not sure if it's a module for that or what.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi folks, I want to restore my nand backup, but it seems I only have the rawnand.bin file, and not the boot 0 and boot 1 files.
Is that possible to restore with rawnand only?
Yes, boot0/boot1 is just the bootup sequence of your console. The only changes made to these should only be due to installation of AutoRCM. Although I would highly recommend dumping boot0/boot1 ASAP as boot0 is semi-console specific.

Reactions: 877 and horokeusama

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has atmosphere cfw been released yet? Some people claim to be running it. Is it possible for me to install it?
Atmosphere is an open-source CFW. Its been released ever since its GitHub page was made public. However, it hasn't been completed as its missing some of its features namely EmuNAND. Right now, Atmosphere does several things that are not limited to launching homebrew, preventing error reports from being saved on your Switch, and reducing telemetry sent to Nintendo. However it needs to be compiled from its source code which is handled by users such as tomGER for public distribution and usage.

EDIT: Forgot to add that we cannot install CFW nor will we ever be able to. Running a CFW is as simple as putting some files on your SD card and sending the appropriate payload via your respective launcher per the device your using.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

werneck14

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a way to connect switch directly through usb (USB-C to USB-A) to make changes on the sd card? Instead of powering it off removing the sd card and connecting the sd to the pc everytime.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: werneck14

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Except all of reddit 4chan and YouTube reviewers