Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OFW via SX Pro involves booting into RCM then SX OS which differs slightly from the Nintendo Switch OFW without RCM. Whether this alone can lead to a ban or not has been fully proven yet.

I'm sorry I have trouble understanding. So what's exactly is the difference then? What's the purpose of RCM in this scenario?

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sorry I have trouble understanding. So what's exactly is the difference then? What's the purpose of RCM in this scenario?
RCM opens the door to send a payload through the fuseegelee exploit, that payload being SXOS boot.dat, which injects TX code to the running Horizon OS (xci loading, nsp installing, homebrew launching) as well as sigcheck patching, fuse bypassing and other shit.

http://misc.ktemkin.com/fusee_gelee_nvidia.pdf

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Ranshiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

The reason you'd have AutoRCM is because you want to always be in RCM mode when you turn on your switch, so you don't need to put a jig or whatever you use in the right joycon rail.

but i think your original question was what's the difference between getting to OFW from the sx os main menu, vs just turning the switch on regularly without AutoRCM.

the answer would be just ease of use if you want to switch between cfw and ofw without having to mess with some manual method to get the switch into RCM.

also i believe if has to do with the preventing of burning fuses if you update your OFW but still want to save the ability to downgrade. I think if you boot to the sx os first and then go to Horizon, it won't burn fuses. but somebody might need to correct me on that.

toxn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I have this right: RajNX > NAND backup > CDNSP > install using tinfoil > I can play offline? (I'm on version 3.0, and will this allow me to retain 3.0 and not burn fuses?)

crissal

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Excuse me guys, I got a question about OFW. I'm stuck at 5.1.0 and got everything workings thanks to Fusee Gelee exploit, and I saw about downgrading in the thread of Raj. The question is: I should downgrade to 3.0.0? If yes, what are the advantages? And how can I play NSPs/GCs that hold an higher FW, like Octopath Traveler? Thank you very much :)

Ranshiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Excuse me guys, I got a question about OFW. I'm stuck at 5.1.0 and got everything workings thanks to Fusee Gelee exploit, and I saw about downgrading in the thread of Raj. The question is: I should downgrade to 3.0.0? If yes, what are the advantages? And how can I play NSPs/GCs that hold an higher FW, like Octopath Traveler? Thank you very much :)

Unless there is something new that I've missed, if you are already on OFW 5.1.0 then your fuses have been burnt and you can't downgrade.

That being said, at the moment there is zero advantage of being on 3.0.0. and plenty of advantages of being on 5.1.0 so you are sitting pretty.

People want to be on a lower firmware as in the future there may/will be a way to launch cfw without all the shenanigans that you are currently using. But if you have a method that works for you now, that's not really an issue. you are already living the high life.

Reactions: crissal

crissal

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Unless there is something new that I've missed, if you are already on OFW 5.1.0 then your fuses have been burnt and you can't downgrade.

That being said, at the moment there is zero advantage of being on 3.0.0. and plenty of advantages of being on 5.1.0 so you are sitting pretty.

People want to be on a lower firmware as in the future there may/will be a way to launch cfw without all the shenanigans that you are currently using. But if you have a method that works for you now, that's not really an issue. you are already living the high life.
Got it, thanks man! BTW I hated the way to enter RCM the first time (so I know what you mean :P ) but with AutoRCM it's a breeze

Alex_Williams_Dad

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly thanks to everyone who takes time out to post guides and help newbies. It was really helpful for me. So I have my switch now running 5.1 with BIS keys and NAND backed up and reiNX running well with nsps working.

I had also ordered an sx pro beforehand without doing all this. Haven't got it till now. My question is that apart from the fact that the dongle allows you to boot into RCM without a PC, are there any other pros that SX os has over reiNX. If not then I am thinking ill probably just sell off the whole thing. Don't see the point. I keep it always charged anyways so don't need to go into RCM again and again

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I have this right: RajNX > NAND backup > CDNSP > install using tinfoil > I can play offline? (I'm on version 3.0, and will this allow me to retain 3.0 and not burn fuses?)
Yes although do note that not all games work on firmware 3.0 despite bypassing the firmware requirements.
Firstly thanks to everyone who takes time out to post guides and help newbies. It was really helpful for me. So I have my switch now running 5.1 with BIS keys and NAND backed up and reiNX running well with nsps working.

I had also ordered an sx pro beforehand without doing all this. Haven't got it till now. My question is that apart from the fact that the dongle allows you to boot into RCM without a PC, are there any other pros that SX os has over reiNX. If not then I am thinking ill probably just sell off the whole thing. Don't see the point. I keep it always charged anyways so don't need to go into RCM again and again
SX OS can play .XCIs raw while ReiNX can only play .XCIs converted into .NSPs and even then not all of the converted games work properly.

toxn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes although do note that not all games work on firmware 3.0 despite bypassing the firmware requirements.

Using Choi am I able to spoof my firmware version, or be in a state where I can downgrade back to 3.0 easily?

Is there still a point to remaining on 3.0?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using Choi am I able to spoof my firmware version, or be in a state where I can downgrade back to 3.0 easily?

Is there still a point to remaining on 3.0?
Using ChoiDujourNX actually updates your firmware version; it doesn't spoof it. That is why it installs AutoRCM into your console so you don't burn fuses on accident when turning on the console without RCM. There is still usage in remaining on 3.0 for the future warmboot that doesn't involve a jig and USB cable, but as long as you know how to use AutoRCM properly, you can go to 5.1 while retaining your ability to downgrade to 3.0. To use AutoRCM properly, either leave the console in sleep mode or power off using Hekate's power off option in the menu. Do not turn off the console using the Power Off option in the Switch as it will reboot you into RCM and drain battery because RCM and a powered off console look similar visually.

0x64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi I have a new 4.1 switch this is what I am planning to do:
RajNX -> Dump NAND ->use choi to update to 5.10 to get exfat without fuse burn -> RajNX with tinfoil to load nsp.
The questions is how do I back up a 32 gb NAND without exfat support? Do I put in a 32gb card in FAT32 and somehow the backup will be splitted to multiple files?

Also wifi has never been setup on my switch and I plan to hold that off as long as possible. So in the future if I do want to go online I can restore this NAND backup and erase all my tracks right? Theoretically I think this won't be detectable.

Last edited by 0x64,

zboubinou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, after 11 days reading this thread (holy shit, i read 15 pages !), I'm trying my first answer :

RajNX -> Dump NAND ->use choi to update to 5.10 to get exfat without fuse burn -> RajNX with tinfoil to load nsp.
The questions is how do I back up a 32 gb NAND without exfat support? Do I put in a 32gb card in FAT32 and somehow the backup will be splitted to multiple files?

Also wifi has never been setup on my switch and I plan to hold that off as long as possible. So in the future if I do want to go online I can restore this NAND backup and erase all my tracks right? Theoretically I think this won't be detectable.

I'm not really good about exfat and stuff but I think i read that hekate can split NAND dump in parts (for small SD for example), so maybe it can do the same for FAT 32 ?

For the clean NAND backup, there is no unrisky way to hack the switch. But, backup a clean NAND dump is the safest way to do it.

Hope i help

0x64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait...I thought the exfat support came with 5.0+ firmware...I just found out that it is a separate "System Update"? Oh boy...That means it is pointless to go to 5.1 with choi then...Since I don't want to go online, I might as well just add exfat on 4.1

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My solution was to format a 64GB card as fat32 then run the backup. Used Choi to upgrade to 5.1 with exFat. Copied the RajNX files over to a 128GB exFat card and away I go. (although could have reformatted the 64GB to exFat and used that)

Erasing all your tracks with a NAND restore is theoretical.

Wait...I thought the exfat support came with 5.0+ firmware...I just found out that it is a separate "System Update"? Oh boy...That means it is pointless to go to 5.1 with choi then...Since I don't want to go online, I might as well just add exfat on 4.1
That is certainly an option. I went to 5.1 so I wouldn’t have to mess with any issues of games requiring a higher firmware than 4.1, but it does require autoRCM to ensure you don’t accidentally burn any fuses.

Last edited by thorasgar,
Reactions: 0x64

Jalink9406

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

You want to do your nand backup BEFORE booting any CFW like RajNX. Besides, if you do it this way, when you want to go online and you restore your backup, you will be stuck again at 4.1 with no exFAT update and you won't be able to do anything online cause it's not latest firmware.

What I would do is update to 5.1 (I don't see any benefit of 4.1 over 5.1 if your console is vulnerable to fusee gelee) through OFW, then get the official exFAT update, then delete Wifi settings and activate airplane mode, do full nand backup with hekate CTCaer, save boot1/0 and rawnand.bin backup files, boot RajNX and play nsps ALWAYS OFFLINE in airplane mode. If you ever want to go online, just restore nand backup and you will be in clean latest firmware with exfat ready to play or use online, no use of RCM and no danger of accidental fuse burning and losing your ability to restore your clean nand.

If I got something wrong, someone please correct me, but I've been doing a lot of reading on this nand backups given that it appears to be the only way to use CFW and play nsps and not get banned at the moment.

0x64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks to both of you.
Indeed it makes a lot of sense to go to 5.1 OFW as I can't see if staying on 4.1 will yield much benefit. And games and DLCs requiring 5.0+ fw....

And the worst part is if I back up my 4.1 NAND and go to 5.1 with choi, then accidentally messed up autorcm, I'd boot 5.1 and burn the fuse, rendering my 4.1 backup pointless...

You want to do your nand backup BEFORE booting any CFW like RajNX

Oh I was thinking that the initial bootmenu of rajnx will let you dump NAND(before boot the cfw for the first time), is it not? I haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: thorasgar

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to both of you.
Oh I was thinking that the initial bootmenu of rajnx will let you dump NAND(before boot the cfw for the first time), is it not? I haven't tried it yet.
Yes you can back up the NAND with Hakate (and should) before booting CFW.

I am not sure how one could screw up autoRCM but anything is possible I suppose.

Jalink9406

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks to both of you.
Indeed it makes a lot of sense to go to 5.1 OFW as I can't see if staying on 4.1 will yield much benefit. And games and DLCs requiring 5.0+ fw....

And the worst part is if I back up my 4.1 NAND and go to 5.1 with choi, then accidentally messed up autorcm, I'd boot 5.1 and burn the fuse, rendering my 4.1 backup pointless...

Oh yes, I didn't know RajNX had nand backup option in boot menu (which I think is actually a fork of Hekate). But you're also right about games and DLC requiring latest firmware, so I think that going to OFW 5.1 with exFAT and then doing what I described in my previous post using RajNX to backup nand is your best bet. Remember that the three files (boot0, boot1 and rawnand.bin) are ESSENTIAL to restoring nand and unbricking your system if anything goes wrong. Good luck!

0x64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Used Choi to upgrade to 5.1 with exFat.

Btw, when you updated to 5.1 using choi did it automatically add exfat support? Or did you have to do the long process in the tutorial forum? I am getting mixed info from read the threads @_@

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: