SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Sure.

2. kallek

kallek Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2010
    United States
    Is there a guide to install Atmosphere from stock firmware using Caffeine and emummc? I was going to follow the guide at https://switch.homebrew.guide/index but it does not have emummc instructions. Also I am unsure if I should follow that guide using the IPATCHED option. My switch is of the old model that isn't patched and I have firmware 4.1.0, but I don't have a jig and would like to do everything in software. If I mess something up I could get a jig and use RCM. Another thing I'm unsure of is how to handle the exfat update. Should I update sysmmc before installing custom firmware or after. If after, how do I dump the sysmmc if the filesystem only can handle 4 GB files?

Also, is there an app to selfhost Pegascape on android?

Last edited by kallek, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:47 AM
  3. tommills

tommills Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2011

This is a copy/paste from another thread that helped me out. Credit goes to gRoberts84.
    1. Go to SDSetup, download Kosmos + PegaScape, with Signature Patches enabled.
    2. Follow the Setting up the SD Card - Partitioning portion of https://www.scenefolks.com/pages.php?page=4210
    3. Extract the zip from #1.
    4. Copy contents from the payloads folder into sd/bootloader/payloads
    5. Copy contents of sd into your primary partition (the larger of the two)
    6. Insert the SD into the switch and boot into hetake as usual.
    7. If you haven't already, DO THIS! https://switch.homebrew.guide/hacking/caffeine/safetyprecautions
    8. Once complete, get back to hetake and click on EmuMMC.
    9. Click on Create EmuMMC and select SD Partition.
    10. Once complete, get press B a few times to get back to the main hetake screen and click reload.
    11. Click on EmuMMC to ensure you have enabled in the top left. If not, press Change EmuMMC and select an option from the left.
    12. Now, press B a few times to get back to the main hetake screen and click Launch > CFW (Emunand)
    If you happen to restart the Switch, you'll boot back into OFW, so you will need to:
    • Click on News > ReSwitched.
    • Follow instructions (Caffeine, tap textbox, wait 5 seconds and press power)
    • In hetake, click on Launch > CFW (Emunand).

Once in CFW (Emunand) you need to make sure you are still on 90DNS, or airplane mode. Its also a good idea to change theme colour so you easily know if your on ofw or Emunand.

If you were to reboot your switch and Settings > System (before going through ReSwitched etc) you will see the firmware of your Sysnand is still 4.1.0 and after booting into CFW (Emunand) it will be different.

From there, I use choidujournx to install 8.1.0:
    • Download choidujournx (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)
    • Extract and copy ChoiDujourNX.nro to switch folder on SD Card.
    • Download firmware 8.1.0.zip
    • Create Firmware folder on SD Card.
    • Extract 8.1.0.zip and copy all files in the folder into the Firmware folder from above.
    • Insert the SD Card back into the Switch.
    • Boot into CFW (Emunand) and check System > Settings to make sure you see (AMS 0.92) in the firmware version.
    • Click home button.
    • Hold R and press Album twice.
    • Click on choidujournx.
    • Click on Choose (bottom right)
    • Click on 8.1.0 (or 8.1.0 exfat if you decided to format your SD with exfat)
    • Click on Select Firmware (bottom right)
    • Note on the left that "Prevent fuse burning (enable AutoRCM)" has a X and on the right, it mentions AutoRCM is disabled due to the device being patched. You do not need to change anything, this is forcibly disabled.
    • Once complete, click Reboot.
    After clicking Reboot it took me back to hetake, where I selected Launch > CFW (emunand)

Now you will be on 8.1.0 on Emunand but 4.1.0 on Sysnand.

4. rick191

rick191 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    United States
    My console is not patched but I have a nand backup on 3.0.2 is there any point in restoring the nand or should I stay on latest firmware?

5. kallek

kallek Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2010
    United States
    Ok.
    So if I understand correctly,

1. First I format my sd to FAT32 and a second partition for emummc
    2. Download Kosmos + PegaScape, with Signature Patches enabled and put on sd
    3. Configuring PegaScape (Wifi Authentication Prompt)
    4. Inject Fake News
    5. Configure PegaScape (Fake News)
    6. Reboot to Hekate and Back up my NAND and BIS keys. It will work with FAT 32, but I will have to do it in steps since I can't store the whole NAND in one file.
    7. Get back to hekate and click on EmuMMC, creating a new EmuMMC.
    8. Boot EmuMMC and update using choidujournx

(Update) I read that it is better not to use exfat so I removed the last step of formatting back to exfat

Last edited by kallek, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM
  6. tommills

tommills Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Yep sounds about right. I had trouble with goldleaf so i used tinfoil to usb install .nsp files. You can use 4nxci to convert xci files to nsp if needed aswell.

7. kallek

kallek Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2010
    United States
    Should I format the usb as exfat? Does it support exfat from usb if I choose the exfat option when updating with ChoiDujourNX?

Last edited by kallek, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:34 PM
  8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If it is clean, you can restore it to keep your console clean or just on hand if you ever want to go online. And even if it is not clean, a complete NAND backup can still recover you from a brick.

9. dark7wizard

dark7wizard Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Hello guys, i have not used my switch for a while, it is using an old kosmos with frim 6.2. I want to play newer games, is it safe to update to latest frimware using choidujournx and use latest kosmos?

10. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Kosmos on 8.1.0 works fine, update via ChoidujourNX with the correct update files.

11. Krushx

Krushx Newbie

Newcomer
    Monday
    Germany
    Can I get banned for only using the backup feature of hekate? Is it somewhere saved in my logs that I booted to hekate from RCM?

12. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    No.

Krushx likes this.
  13. Sirberus

Sirberus Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2019
    United States
    I have an unpatched switch on 8.1. Is it still hackable??if so can someone please tell me the programs/exploits I should look into? Thank you

14. darkriku2000

darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    Hey I got Android up and running on my switch last night and had a few questions:

- How can I transfer roms and apps to my switch aside from downloading them? When I connect my SD card to my PC I only get the 2gb fat 32 partition and can't actually move stuff to the android partition.

- How can I let android access the fat32 partition? If I do transfer a file to my SD card through my PC Android won't pick it up.

- I was able to put Lakka onto the part of the SD card my computer can read and boot into it via hekate but is there a build of Lakka or Retroarch with similar compatibility that I can just run through android instead?

Just an example: I put Lakka and a chrono trigger DS rom on my SD card, I can boot into Lakka and run it normally if I want to use those emulators (and can even go into the android's files to find roms stored there) but when I downloaded a DS emulator for Android I wasn't able to boot the game up because it won't let me navigate to that partition on my SD card. I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

15. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere i can never find.
    I have my switch in version 7.0.1 reinx cfw'd, is there a way to play the latest update of smash in this firmware version without having to need to update my switch. I have a physical copy of the game but after I updated the software I only get a sotware closed error which is because im assuming I am not on the latest update.

16. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Yes, it’s hackable. Guide: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/

17. Syph

Syph Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United States
    Can .xci's, with their cert, be loaded onto an actual cartridge, from a cfw system, and then put into and played on a ofw system? Tried looking around but all I could find was info on tricking the system into thinking the .xci was on the cart rather than actually replacing the carts files.

18. darkriku2000

darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    Do you mean overwriting the data on an official switch cartridge with another game? AFAIK, no, they're read-only like most game system's cartridges before them.

19. akira022

akira022 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2010
    United States
    Does atmosphere support usb harddrives yet?

20. Syph

Syph Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I thought there was a way to overwrite DS carts to be different games; before the microsd carts were made.