SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    That is outdated information. Hekate used to not support launching CFW on firmware 8.1 but that was before version 5.0 came out which adds support for launching CFW on firmware 8.1

2. Chino

Chino Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    So I'm trying to do some save file editing (FF7). I'm using checkpoint (I've tried with EdiZon as well). I can backup the save files and transfer them to my PC just fine. I edit the save file, transfer it back into the proper folder in checkpoint, but when I restore the save and run the game it's not taking the edited save. The game is still reading the unedited save.

If I backup the save file again and put it into an editor it shows me the modified save. The game isn't loading the modified save. Could this be because the game is saved on the system storage? I can't run the game in emuNAND so after I restore the save I switch back to sysNAND, maybe that could be causing issues?

Edit: So it looks like I'm doing this all wrong. If I want to edit a save file and play it on sysNAND I need dump the NAND, extract the save using HacDiskMount, then restore the NAND? I don't know, I'm confused. I didn't have this issue when I did save editing months back.

Or the other option, go balls to the wall and run CFW on SysNAND and run HBL to extract my saves directly (and get banned in the process once I go online)

Last edited by Chino, Jul 9, 2019
  3. TheKirbyMan

TheKirbyMan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2008
    The thing is I have hekate 5.0.1 and atmosphere 0.9.2. Both are up to date and it gives me an error when I try and launch it.

I get this:

Patching Kernel
    Patching kips
    Failed to apply 'nosigchck'!
    Failed to launch firmware.

This doesn't happen when I launch fusee-primary. This works perfectly.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for the help.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Where did you download Hekate from?

5. TheKirbyMan

TheKirbyMan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2008
    https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases

and

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate

Says its 5.0.1. I've tried both links. Do you recommend something else? I was using 4.2 before. I should also add I've tried injecting the payloads through my atmosphere dongle and also the PC TegraRCM program with the same result.

Really appreciate the help.

Last edited by TheKirbyMan, Jul 9, 2019
  6. zheoi

zheoi Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Hacking question. I have a Switch who serial is in the maybe zone. It is on firmware 8.1. I tried to hack it and the injector blinked blue the screen stayed black and nothing came up. Also tried with a cable TegraRcmGUI and it went green said payload was injected but still black screen. Am I doing something wrong or this can't be hacked?

7. MisterMue

MisterMue Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2013
    Germany
    Would be a Factory Reset be a way to avoid a ban? i want to step away from CFW and just play again. I am on 6.2.0 (yes, i know everything would be lost)

Last edited by MisterMue, Jul 9, 2019
  8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Just as I figured. You downloaded Hekate by itself. Hekate alone cannot boot CFW. You need Hekate with a properly configured .ini file. Kosmos is a package that comes with a pre-configured Hekate setup to boot Atmosphere.

Follow this tutorial to see if it is patched. If the console is patched, you should find either an unpatched unit or a patched unit on firmware 4.1. A patched console on firmware 8.1 may not get CFW for a long time if ever.

It is well known that factory resets do not avoid bans. People have been banned even after performing a factory reset/

9. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2019
    Australia
    I'm brand new to Switch hacking. Just got a Switch today, it's patched and running 7.0.1. Is there any reason not to update the firmware? Is it at all likely that I can actually put CFW on my Switch in the foreseeable future? Or should I just update since it's not letting me do much of anything right now without updating.

Thanks

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You might be waiting a very long time for CFW on 7.0.1 with a patched unit. I suggest selling the console and getting an unpatched unit or a patched unit with a firmware of 4.1/

VashtaNerada likes this.
  11. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I figured from what I've read, just wanted confirmation from someone who knows for certain before I screw up by updating when I shouldn't have. Going to keep this one. I wanted one for hacking and one to keep unhacked. This will just be the unhacked one.

Thanks again ^^

Draxzelex likes this.
  12. JohnTeo

JohnTeo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2019
    Gabon
    Hi all,

I currently have a switch console running AMS 0.8.3 at 6.2.0.

What should i do now? Stay in 6.2.0 and update AMS or update switch's firmware? I haven't use the console for a quite long time and im little confused and outdated. What are your advices?

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    First, it's highly recommended that you update to the latest version of Atmosphere (0.9.2, as of this post).

As for your Switch itself, updating depends on whether or not you want to play the latest games and updates. If you do, then updating will eventually be required, depending on the game you want to play. You can update to 8.1.0 using ChoiDujourNX, but you should update Atmosphere first. Atmosphere 0.9.2 is fully compatible with Switch version 8.1.0.

Edit: For future updates, always make sure Atmosphere is compatible before updating your Switch. Atmosphere usually takes a few days to be updated to work with new Switch system versions.

Last edited by Lacius, Jul 9, 2019
    JohnTeo likes this.
  14. Hb2

Hb2 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I want to extract text and music from a NSP file, what tools do I need?

15. JohnTeo

JohnTeo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2019
    Gabon
    Thank you very much for your respond. I want to make you one more question. Is any way possible to play (licensed cartridge) online games with CFW? What about emuMMC? My goal is to play online the new upcomming Pokemon game. Im very sure that my console is not banned and i have a full stock NAND backup.

16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Yes, you can play online if you setup a clean NAND. Here are my recommended steps:
    1. Create an emuNAND (AKA emuMMC) from your dirty sysNAND.
    2. Restore your clean NAND backup to your sysNAND.
    3. If you're paranoid, install Incognito and/or 90DNS to the dirty emuNAND so it can never accidentally connect to the internet.
    4. Use the dirty offline emuNAND for all hackery/piracy, and use the clean sysNAND for online play with legitimately purchased games.

JohnTeo likes this.
  17. JohnTeo

JohnTeo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2019
    Gabon
    Thanks again for your quick respond. :D:D:D

I ll do a little research about this stuff and im already using 90DNS :p1ng:. Can the big N ban my console for using emuNAND or is undetectable? Any accurate documentation for emuNAND will be appreciated.

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It is highly unlikely you will be banned if:
    1. You never connect your dirty emuNAND to the internet (or you're using 90DNS and/or Incognito with it).
    2. Your sysNAND is clean.

JohnTeo likes this.
  19. TheKirbyMan

TheKirbyMan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2008
    But I have the KosmosV12 pack. Believe me I've tried the obvious stuff. From a formatted sd card with Kosmos I'm getting

Patching kernel
    Patching kips
    failed to apply 'nosigchk'!
    failed to load firmware.

I'm at a loss at this stage.

20. xjamesbx

xjamesbx Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2009
    United States
    Just want to make sure I'm not throwing money away and was hoping someone can confirm my thought process.

My jig arrived yesterday. Using Hekate, I backed up my clean sysNAND, installed emuNAND, and put 90DNS on both the sysNAND and emuNAND. Later in the day, I started putting homebrew and other hackery on the Switch, but after doing so I realized I had selected the "CFW (sysNAND)" option from Hekate instead of the "CFW (emuNAND)" option. I double-checked that the sysNAND was using 90DNS and then restored the clean sysNAND I had created earlier in the day. After verifying there were no issues with the restore, I set up what I wanted to set up on the emuNAND.

I really want to play Super Mario Maker 2 online, so I was planning on buying a physical copy later today and playing it on the now-clean sysNAND. If I'm understanding correctly, I dirtied my sysNAND by using CFW / homebrew on it (albeit very briefly), but since I was on 90DNS from the point it got dirtied to when I restored the clean sysNAND, I should be alright now using the sysNAND online with legitimately purchased games. Is this correct?

Is there any reason I should ever select the "CFW (sysNAND)" option from Hekate? It feels like an accident waiting to happen if I accidentally click it at any point when my sysNAND has a proper Internet connection set up -- can I disable the option somehow?

Last edited by xjamesbx, Jul 9, 2019