NULL

SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Fishhook

Fishhook Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    A big thank you to everybody who helps all of us n00bs. Your help is very appreciated.

Running SX 2.7.1 and OFW 8.0.1

I have a question about how to update retroarch to latest nightlies:

The retroarch nightly download unzips to two folders (/retroarch and /switch) and a .jpg file.

The /switch folder contains a file retroarch_switch.nro, while I have saved to the ROOT of my SDCard.

The /retroarch folder I also have saved to the root of the SD Card.

The .jpg file I discarded.

I have read to periodically update my cores to the latest iteration for best performance.

If I want to update to the latest nightly build, Do I just overwrite the /retroarch folder on my SD Card with the new /retroarch folder that I download from the nightlies page? Or, would it better to delete the /retroarch folder and the .nro file from the SD Card, and then copy the newly downloaded /retroarch folder to the card?
    -If so, would that affect my saves?
    -Does that automatically update all the cores as well?

Lastly, how do I back up my gave saves (both save states and in-game saves?) I cannot find where on the /retroarch folder all my saves are located.

Last edited by Fishhook, May 26, 2019
  2. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 13, 2019
    United States
    Thats only for Retroarch and Reicast and other emulators.

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. You will only ever need a jig again if you update your system while not running CFW because this will uninstall AutoRCM. This includes system firmware updates as well as the exFAT update. The system firmware updates can be triggered both online and from a cartridge. Software updates will not cause your system to reboot therefore will not cause remove AutoRCM unlike the aforementioned
    2. Pretty much
    3. Or you can just turn off the console to prevent any battery from being used
    4. See #1

mcabel likes this.
  4. YamiJustin

YamiJustin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2011
    United States
    Question - if I have Atmosphere on my Switch, and AutoRCM on, and I'm currently in the OS (atmosphere booted), will it shutdown completely if I select "Power Off" from the switch menu.
    Because I had my Switch plugged into my PC (where tegra was turned on). When I selected Power Off, it turned off seemingly, but Tegra did not detect it as RCM O.K. (only when I unplugged it and plugged it back in).
    So my question is when I shut it down from the Atmosphere menu is it actually shutting down?

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes

6. YamiJustin

YamiJustin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2011
    United States
    Thanks! So if I'm understanding right, if I have my Switch plugged into the PC and turn it off, it'll turn off. But if I unplug and plug it back in it'll turn on because AutoRCM always turns on when plugged back into a charging device? If this is true, then its technically still charging when plugged in and shut off at the same time?

7. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 13, 2019
    United States
    Just save yourself the trouble and use sleep.

8. Kubez

Kubez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    What is wrong with auto rcm ?

9. CasuallyDressed

CasuallyDressed Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2014
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ok, so SXOS vs Atmosphere...

I’ve been running SXOS since it released, but I’m a bit out of touch with everything now. Is Atmosphere superior? Any pros/cons? Can I move over to Atmosphere from SXOS? Will I still need the dongle and jig with Atmosphere?

10. mcabel

mcabel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2018
    United States
    Well, I was scared to "brick" a console, power drains and mostly wondering about my house electricity being disconnected scenario. And I thought it was unnecessary if I had a perma-jig. But based on
    Draxzelex thread/faq, most of my concerns were addressed; so almost nothing now, I guess?

Last edited by mcabel, May 26, 2019
  11. Kubez

Kubez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    Well it kind of bricks the console because it breaks Nintendo’s bootloader, so you always enter rcm.

12. rechuchin

rechuchin Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2019
    Ecuador
    I wanted to ask if we got any news on hacking patched switches?

13. Kubez

Kubez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    What firmware are you on?

If there is news, I’m pretty sure they will let you know.

14. Zdobuzdo

Zdobuzdo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2018
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Running SX 2.7.1 and OFW 8.0.1
    Can i link my nintendo account if use stealth mode, ftp server disabled? I never log in ofw.

15. Kubez

Kubez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    Stealth mode blocks all communication with Nintendo if I remember correctly.

If you don’t wanna get banned don’t use sx os.

16. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    Can you factory reset emunand without having the sdcard or sysnand messed with? It seems silly... But I'm afraid of losing everything and can't seem to find it mentioned.

I would feel a lot more comfortable without my Nintendo ID linked to my emunand

17. rechuchin

rechuchin Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2019
    Ecuador
    The latest, im afraid i don´t know exactly which one. Should I stay on that one? And, if needed, can I downgrade mi firmware?

18. Kubez

Kubez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    Well you’re fucked if you have a patched unit and on 8.0.1. You’re gonna be waiting a few years possibly. And downgrading is impossible on a patched unit. Idk why you updated.

19. SuperSayianGod

SuperSayianGod GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2016
    United States
    Asgard
    What is the better CFW for Switch? I have not hacked in awhile. The last thing I modded was my Wii U. Where do you find the program for downloading free games. Are all switch games available to download or do only selected games to play? Does the cfw need to be continuously updated to run newer games? or is it more like 1 cfw fits all as long as the System software doesn't update. Is there a way to block Auto updates for the switch.

20. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    To find the games, you will have to look yourself. And unless I'm mistaken, any game should be available as long as they're released.