NULL

SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Fishhook

Fishhook Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States

Thanks, so best to use hidden partition for emunand then?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    It is up to you, I am using hidden partition on one of my units.

3. Fishhook

Fishhook Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    Thank you, one last question:

The switch is brand new and unpatched.

Before even inserting SX Pro dongle, should I first update the console to the latest OFW 8.0.1 using the regular official way to update the firmware through Nintendo? And then, back up the sysNAND and create the emuNAND? Seems like I would not need to use Choidujour if I did that.

4. PrimalRex

PrimalRex GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    nope, nuhuh dont update

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

More recent versions have proven to be very hard to use SX and CFW with, best to keep it at a nice firmware. Make a nand backup of the current version! I have a backup of v5.0 yet my switch is on v7.0 while I regret doing but I dont know why I should even bother to go through bugs and errors to downgrade

5. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    No don't update, leave the firmware as low as possible and create the emunand and update that via ChoidujourNX.

6. PrimalRex

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    agreed

7. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    If you didn't already figure this out...
    If your Switch has autoRCM, and you do not send a payload, it will just show a black screen when it boots. This black screen is indistinguishable from the Switch just being off. The system will not charge while on this black screen. When you plug in the system to charge it, the system tries to power on. However, since you're not injecting a payload, it just stays on the black screen. Since it can't charge on the black screen, the system does not get charged. The way to fix this is to plug in the system, hold down the power button for a good 10 seconds to turn it off (since it's on the black screen), and wait five minutes for it to charge. Then unplug it from the charge and turn the system on while injecting the payload. Once you have the system actually booted, you can put it back on the charger to let the battery charge the rest of the way.
    If it doesn't work the first time, don't panic. You probably just turned the system ON whenever you held the power button instead of OFF. It's impossible to tell whether the system is on or off without injecting the payload. If it won't boot with the payload injected, it means the battery is still dead and to try charging it again. And if you're using something like an SX Pro dongle, make sure the dongle is charged as well (takes less than five seconds to charge it).

MisterMue and Fishhook like this.
  8. Fishhook

Fishhook Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States

Thanks, I will do just that.

My intention for hacking the switch is to play switch backups (.xci and .nsp), and also to use retroarch.

Do you recommend I use choidujour to update to the latest firmware 8.0.1, and use SX 2.7.1 beta version?

I have read the last several hundred pages of posts, and the suggestion has come up several times to stick with firmware 7.0.1 because there are bugs with firmware 8.0.1.

However, I really like the appeal of the speed boost feature on firmware 8.0.1. I hate load times.

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Don't follow that tutorial. Simply download Hekate and dump your boot0/boot1 as well as your eMMC raw GPP. Boot0/boot1 are 4 MB each while the eMMC raw GPP is 29.1 GB. If your SD card is FAT32 and/or has less than 29.1 GB of free space, the eMMC raw GPP will be dumped in 16 2 GB parts (or 32 1 GB parts if your SD card is smaller than 2 GB). If you don't want to dump all 29.1 GB for whatever reason but still want someway to recover from a brick, you can dump eMMC SYS instead of the eMMC raw GPP but beware that eMMC SYS does not contain your save data nor installed game content.

Not sure where you read that. You can use both together although it is a bit redundant.

Booting vanilla Atmosphere involves booting through Fusee not Hekate so its impossible.

10. SniperWoolf

SniperWoolf Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    Spain
    Hello,

I was using atmosphere 0.8.9 with fw 6.2.0 and had only like a couple of games (5 at most) installed. I decided to backup saves, uninstall all games, and update with ChoidjurNX to fw 8.0.1 and then proceed to format my card to fat32. Got it all running up nicely. I used GoldLeaf to install my previous games and some more up to a total of 51 games on my SD Card. I remember that before i started installing so many games, i had NAND SYSTEM empty. Now its showing half full from GoldLeaf. You can check it in my photo.

I guess installing 51 games takes up half the NAND System memory, and deleting them will clean it. Does it work like this? And if for some reason i got a bigger SD card, to install even more new games, may i end up running out of NAND System memory? Thanks :)

Attached Files:

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The tickets required to launch these games do take up space and with around 50 tickets, I suppose it might take up as much as half the space in your eMMC SYS partition. If you uninstall the games meaning you also remove the tickets, then the eMMC SYS should go back to what it was before you installed everything.

12. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Get this one. That's how I use Atmosphere :P

13. SniperWoolf

SniperWoolf Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks for your explanation, that makes sense. :)

Draxzelex likes this.
  14. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    You can always go to FAT32... If you want to install games bigger than 4GB, either split them or use USB install.

15. SniperWoolf

SniperWoolf Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    Spain
    To test this, i deleted like 15 games + tickets but it still shows up half the eMMC SYS partition as full in Goldleaf. Is there another way to look at what might be taking up that much space? Can you check how much space do you have occupied?

16. Pola92

Pola92 Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United States
    A quick question, is it possible to get banned for sending a payload to test if a unit is patched?

17. PrimalRex

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    if an error or some sort of problem happens midway.... yes

18. namad

namad Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    is deja vu for 3.0.2 out yet?

all the hacking guide's I find are about fusee gelee, yet the firmware chart shows that deja vu should work with 3.0.2

I've been leaving my switch on 3.0.2 because I want to maximize my hacking chances long term. Not sure if there's any benefit in being on 3.0.2 but there aren't any new games out yet that are going to make me update. Hopefully emunand can come out before pokemon shield/sword does.

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Mine is also showing about half even though I have an update installed to the SD card. I also made my brother check his eMMC SYS space and it was nearly full. I don't think its anything you should be worried about because it is a partition you don't have direct control over. The only partitions you should keep track of is the eMMC USER and your SD card.

Nope.

Deja Vu works up to 7.0.1 but that doesn't mean its released. You can also just update without burning fuses which will let you downgrade back to firmware 3.0.2 at any point. But holding out for Deja Vu is not really worth it in my opinion since the exploit will be a lot more involved than Fusee Gelee.

namad and SniperWoolf like this.
  20. SniperWoolf

SniperWoolf Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    Spain
    I still have my reservations, because as u say its a partition we are not supposed to manage directly and I am wondering why its already half full (or nearly full in your brothers case). I found the structure of the filesystem inside the Switch. Just google: "switchbrew filesystem" (its the second result). Cant post a link because im still new. Using gold leaf to explore the nand system, i was able to see its contents. Its pretty much empty except in SYSTEM\Contents\registered there are lots and lots of NCA files. I hope that uninstalling or installing games does not leave any leftover files occupying space in that partition as that could lead to future problems when it fills up.

Thanks for your answer it has managed to make me not worry about it any more. Im glad i made a full NAND backup before.

Last edited by SniperWoolf, May 18, 2019