SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Budsixz

Budsixz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2018
    India
    i suggest staying at 7.0.1 for now
    as for the update this was the tutorial i followed to update to 7.0.1 from 6.2 -
    https://guide.sdsetup.com/usingcfw/manualupgrade

2. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    Can i backup my NAND with a FAT32 card? I'm confused. If i, for example, use Hekate to do it, does it partition the NAND in many 4GB files? and how am i supposed to get them all together if i want to restore it? Does Hekate get it all together by itself?

3. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    You can backup your NAND with a FAT32 card, yes. It will split it to 15 2GB parts. To join them, you have the joiner scripts from the Hekate GitHub.

Vieela and Budsixz like this.
  4. Maxwellkiwi

Maxwellkiwi Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2016
    France
    Hello, I don't know anything about cfw, it is may be an odd question but: is there any risk by using an SX pro that my switch become completely unusable for playing games offline?
    I mean, I don't really mind being ban from online play as long as I can play legit cardridge offline...

5. starlitalpha@hot

starlitalpha@hot Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2007
    United States
    Got a special case here. When I first installed emunand to my sd card i had it formatted to exfat. I did it this way so that I could install larger games from the micro without having to split up files. Now I'm slowly learning that there are other ways to install, such as from a network or possibly a usb flash drive?

If I want to reformat my micro to fat 32 and install again, should I keep any files from the micro as it stands right now? Furthermore, I have an older switch with the exploit. Should I upgrade the ofw to 8.0 before installing emunand again on the micro?
    Thanks in advance for your time.

6. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    There is always the risk of bricking your switch. But if you keep backups of your NAND, boot files and biskeys, you can make your switch working again.
    Generally: Don’t do anything you don’t understand. Always read and ask before doing something stupid.

Why you want to install again? You can copy and paste to micro sd. If you have created EmuNAND as hidden partition you copy that.

7. starlitalpha@hot

starlitalpha@hot Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2007
    United States
    Because you can't move files larger than 4 gig to fat 32. That's the whole reason I'm having to do this in the first place.

8. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Did your friend update from pre 4.0.0 to his current FW officially or using homebrew? It sounds like his game card slot firmware may not be updated meaning it won't work on any FW at or above 4.0.0.

9. Hero-Link

Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi guys,

One simple and quick question, emunand is currently only possible with SX OS, right?

10. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone tell me pls what firmware I need for latest SSBU update. 3.0.1 ?

11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Yes.

Hero-Link likes this.
  12. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Makes sense. Keep everything except EmuNAND folder and copy back after you have created new EmuNAND.

Hayato213 likes this.
  13. ThaDraGun

ThaDraGun GBAtemp Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    All I have right now is a 32GB SD card.
    Its formatted to exfat. The guide for backing up your nand says you need 32GB free space. 32GB card is never actually 32GB plus the files needed on the card to do the backup take up a little space. I end up having 29.4GB free. Is this big enough to do a backup of everything needed or will it do the RawNand Parts? Id rather not backup with the parts and have to join them. Less chance of error.

14. superluccix

superluccix Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2016
    United States
    I think I got the Switch during December 2018 yes

15. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2006
    If I'm buying a 2nd hand Switch to exploit what bits and pieces do I need to be aware of in order to get a moddable machine please? Thanks

16. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Find out serial # before buying, if you want a 100% exploitable firmware, it has to be below 4.1.0, to be 100% sure.

replicashooter likes this.
  17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can use the homebrew application nxmtp to transfer files from your PC to your SD card without removing the SD card or powering off your console. Not sure if nxmtp works on MacOS or not however.

Yes although we have had this for a while now :P

7.X (7.0/7.0.1)

18. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2006
    Thanks, what are the chances of new machines in store being exploitable and do you have a link to the serial database? I'm guessing that 2nd hand machines wouldve been updated to latest FW, does this render them unexploitable due to the fuses?

19. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
  20. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You gonna have to try looking else where than in retail store, you just gonna get a patched unit, just that lower than 4.1.0 firmware is 100% unpatched, you can always search by serial # but do your research, you can always get an unpatched switch higher than 4.1.0

replicashooter likes this.
  21. WRO

WRO Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2018
    Bahrain
    I am getting update nags on my Switch (6.2.0 AMS), after my kid inserted the original cart. Not sure if he connected to WiFi too. But, when I try to reset cache with Recovery Mode it automatically turns on WiFi despite it being in Airplane Mode. The game concerned is Flying Red Hat. I am getting a little frustrated here. I install v1.3 update and it crashes. I uninstalled and reinstall the game and nothing.

(Edit)
    Same problem with Kaboom Cousins and Brick: Urban Underground. All other backups work. I have already entering Recovery Mode by long pressing both Volume +, Volume -, and Power On. Then releasing Power On. Then it loads the Recovery Mode, instead of getting 'Delete' I get 'Initialize'. Reboot. And the update nag (Cloud Icon) disappears and reappears because WiFi is still on despite being on Airplane Mode.

So, then I erase User Save Data with both Nintendo Data Management and DevMenu. Uninstalled the game. And reinstalled without any update, system then asks for game update. I install the update and then it crashes on loading.

Last edited by WRO, Apr 28, 2019