SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Scipio_

Scipio_ Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United States
    I stopped following the scene around the time SXOS released their first version of emunand which wasn't real emunand so I'm not up to date on the latest. I have a switch with FW 6.2 (or w/e the latest is necessary for Let's Go) that has the fusee-gelee vulnerability and has never been modded. My questions are:

- If I update to the latest FW and decided to use the fusee-gelee exploit am I losing out anything by not using it on my current FW (6.2)?
    - Is the SXOS emunand legit this time?
    - Are there any ban risks by using SXOS emunand?
    - Atmosphere was said to be developing an emunand that's safer than the one SXOS developed, is this still true and in works?

Thanks in advance.

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well hot off the press is firmware 8.0 so definitely don't update to the latest firmware. Even if you just update SysNAND, it can cause issues like it did when 7.0 was released. Other than that, EmuNAND is pretty legit as no one has been banned for using it. And Atmosphere is now actively working on EmuNAND if you check their GitHub page. Whether its safer than the one TX made may either just be hot air or anti-TX sentiment. Either way, its too soon to tell.

Scipio_ likes this.
  3. Scipio_

Scipio_ Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United States
    What issues happened when 7.0 dropped?

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Before SX OS V2.5.3 was released, EmuNAND wouldn't boot if SysNAND was on 7.0. Of course the issue was addressed and subsequently fixed however I wouldn't be surprised if this issue returned in firmware 8.0 and I am not willing to test that theory out.

5. nutsack

nutsack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    United States
    Since SciresM made a post about not updating past 7.0.1 if you want to use Deja Vu in the future, can someone ELI5 what would make Deja Vu better than using the current RCM exploit for an unpatched unit?

6. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    warmboot

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

DO NOT UPDATE TO 8.0

If you do however and you have an unpatched switch, it is possible to restore/manually downgrade your console

7. nutsack

nutsack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    United States
    OK but I'm 5YO. Does that mean something like what Enso is for Vita where the exploit to use CFW is just applied automatically on boot so as to be completely transparent to the user? Or is Enso a coldboot? I haven't even considered going to 7.0.1 yet (still on AMS 0.8.1 on firmware 6.2.0) so not eager at all to upgrade to 8.0.0. Switch is always on airplane mode

Last edited by nutsack, Apr 16, 2019 at 2:46 AM
  8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    How Deja Vu will work is you launch PegaSwitch and then from there you will run a script that launches Deja Vu. This is why its considered "warmboot" because it is applied while the console is already running. Its extremely similar to CFW on the PS4 and the Wii U via Mocha aka without CBHC.

9. CCarlos

CCarlos Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2019
    United States
    I formated it to fat32... did the back up... and when I go to Launch I still dont see anything?? it just says
    Payloads
    More Configs
    No Main Config found.

I did everything on the text based guide
    ( When I launch the payloads on tegra this is the message I see)
    ploading payload
    Smashing the stack!
    Smashed the stack with a 0x7000 byte SETUP request!
    Payload successfully injected

The files on my Sd card are: hbmenu.nro,atmosphere,bootloader,edizon,nintendo and switch

10. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Noob question: What’s the downside of updating my joycons? I remember reading that it won’t work with lower version firmware anymore? Or am I misremembering things?

11. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ ʕ•̫͡•ʕ*̫͡*ʕ•͓͡•ʔ-̫͡-ʕ•̫͡•ʔ*̫͡*ʔ-̫͡-ʔ

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    No, it still works for any switch firmware. The downside is that you will have issues modding the joycons (if you even do that).

12. zerohealinzz

zerohealinzz GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2018
    Netherlands
    I have bought a (secondhand) unpatched switch. I was checking the settings and clicked on tv output (in handheld mode) and it only shows 480p, while my patched switch 480 p 720 and 1080p. I only play handheld mode so i assume its not a big deal, but i am curious to why this unpatched switch is just showing 480p

It runs on FW 7.1, no CFW of any sorts yet.

I did attemp a factory reset.

13. linkref

linkref Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2019
    France
    Is it possible to restore a sysNand backup from an older firmware (let's say 6.0) to a newer firmware (let's say 7.0.1) ?
    If it's not possible we have to do a sysNand backup at every firmware ?

Thanks

14. Klavice Gavin

Klavice Gavin Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2016
    Canada
    I believe so long as you made the backup yourself and it's your switch, it ought to work.

Meanwhile, I ended up upgrading to 8.0.0 in an attempt to get FF10 for Switch having already pre-purchased it, it made me download the update and now my console won't go into RCM mode no matter what I do (tinfoil, or jig) the jig looks like this: [​IMG]

And as you can see the pins are significantly smaller than other jigs. Any way to get this jig to work?

15. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Bewdley, UK
    Hopefully someone can answer this for me before I start playing around with my switch.

I currently have a switch which uses sxos. I'm able to install games fine on to it no problem. Are these games installed on the system no matter what cfw I booted in to? If I was to install atmosphere as well on my sd card and boot to that, will the games all show as working still and saves be in tact or is everything different for different cfw?

16. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    ReiNX and Atmosphere rely on sig patches for games, SXOS doesn't rely on that.

17. DrDoctor

DrDoctor Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2017
    United Kingdom
  18. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ ʕ•̫͡•ʕ*̫͡*ʕ•͓͡•ʔ-̫͡-ʕ•̫͡•ʔ*̫͡*ʔ-̫͡-ʔ

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    You don’t need that since you can launch homebrew with album.

DrDoctor likes this.
  19. mikey1armstrong

mikey1armstrong Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2010
    Ok so i was playing around last night creating an emunand which was fine, restored sysnand back to my original which was 4.1 i think it was, went online and updated. Proper $hit myself when i checked the settings and it said fw 8.0. Bad timing or what? Well it doesn't seem to have broken anything, i can still boot into my 6.2 emunand.
    Can i reinstall my sysnand back with my backup? is there any point? Am i right in thinking to wait until tx have sorted the sxos with fw 8.0, go online with my emunand and link a nintendo account which was my original requirement, or should i update the emunand with ChoiDujourNX to fw 8 when its available?
    Sorry for all the questions....

20. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Thanks. Could you elaborate on mods that I would be losing on? I assume it’s jig stuff (which I know nothing about). Would just buy in a jig replace the need for joycons to be modded?