SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ggmkp

ggmkp Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    United States
    Kinda confused with the whole xci and nsp file format
    people are saying that nsp is far better as this is only way to install updates and dlcs

But if you have base game in xci from cartridge can you still install updates and dlcs using nsp? or does the base game need to be in nsp as well?

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    When people say .NSP is the only way to install updates and DLC files, it literally means we can only install updates and DLC as .NSP files; it doesn't mean we can only install updates and DLC for .NSP files, it just means you can't install an update or DLC as a .XCI file. Although you can pack your DLC files and updates with your .XCI games using NSC_Builder.

3. p3el05

p3el05 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2019
    Tokelau
    What is the cleanest way to install .XCI files using SX OS that are larger than 4Gb on FAT32 formatted SD card?

Currently I have tried:

- XCI Cutter then copy to Micro SD manually - did not see how to load in SX installer

- USB stick formatted in ExFat and install via SX installer - first attempt failed but second seems to be getting further

FTP looks interesting but so far I am keeping wifi off on this device, paranoid about a ban even if I am not likely to access online anytime soon

Any other advice / tips please?

4. j_mcc99

j_mcc99 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2006
    Canada
    Hi everyone, I've got a conundrum that I'm sure someone has already encountered.

I bought a switch off a friend recently. Never been online, 1.0.0 vanilla. I picked up an SX Pro and have tested it (works fine). My problem is that I do not have a 32GB SDHC micro sd card. I've got some 8's, 16's and then all my higher capacity (64, 128) are SDXC... which are not recognized in my switch because I'm missing that special update that's not part of a firmware update.

So... I wanted to perform a full NAND backup prior to upgrading firmware. However, I don't have a card with sufficient storage to do this. My question is... what would be my best option in terms of upgrading firmware in order to get the SDXC capability so that I can backup my NAND. OR... is that not possible (eg: the SD update doesn't exist in any firmware).

I'm new to switch hacking so I very much appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

5. Cash_Cartier

Cash_Cartier Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it's possible to back up the entire 32GB of NAND using a 8/16GB micro SD card formatted in FAT32. The guide should go over it, but you'll just need to turn off the system, transfer the backups and delete them from the SD, then boot into Hekate again and select the backup once more. Don't follow these instructions, but instead find a more thorough guide to ensure that you get the proper backup of all 15 2GB pieces of your NAND. After that, you can find your existing firmware through certain channels, and use the exFAT driver installation guides that are found on this forum in conjunction with ChoiDujourNX through the homebrew menu.

6. j_mcc99

j_mcc99 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2006
    Canada
    When you say "the guide" are you referring to this? This one does specifically call out that you need a 32GB card. I read somewhere else that a full NAND backup was 29.something GB. I guess I'm not entirely certain how I back that up to an 8 or 16GB card. Would you mind elaborating a little? Thanks!

7. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South

If you are doing the backu with Hekate doesn't care you use a exfat or fat32 card

so, get your 64gb or 128gb card, format it as exfat, launch hekate, and follow the guide linked above for backing up.

Make sure you backup boot0/1

Then proceed to cfw on a fat32 sd card

8. Iceleader

Iceleader Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2015
    United States
    Can I update to 7.0.0 through ChoidujourNX and still boot stock through Hekate if I just want to update games while waiting for the Atmosphere update?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    No

10. Glitchk0ud1001

Glitchk0ud1001 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere with Princess Unikitty
    Can you access the RCM mode in every firmware including 7.0 AND install CFW?

Last edited by Glitchk0ud1001, Feb 3, 2019
  11. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    My Switch is already running Atmosphere.
    Setup one month ago.

How to update all the files with the least step?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    RCM is part of the hardware of the console. Also you don't install CFW.

Delete everything off the SD card except for the Nintendo and Switch folders and place the new folders/files on the SD card.

Bowl0l likes this.
  13. maxcala

maxcala Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    United States
    Hello,

I upgraded my 32gb microsd to 128gb. I've copied all except nintendo folder. When i boot and go to album, it's blank! I have app on there. Can anyone shone a light please?

TIA

14. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    a few things come to mind
    • Sd card format
    • missing files from cfw
    • archive bits

15. maxcala

maxcala Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    United States
    Thank you, It's on exfat formatted from the Nintendo switch. Any idea on what missing files and archive bits?

16. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    hbmenu.nro from root of sd card and use hekate to fix archive bits

Do you have the exfat update on your switch/what firmware is it

maxcala likes this.
  17. maxcala

maxcala Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    United States
    I have the hbmenu.nro on the root of the folder. It's on 6.2. Any link to a tut please?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you! the clean bits fixed it!:D

18. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    excellent, no worries

19. Krucios

Krucios Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    Italy

thank you so much!

Draxzelex likes this.
  20. p3el05

p3el05 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2019
    Tokelau

Bump this - anyone have any tips? currently using XCI Cutter to exFAT USB method and then install to MicroSD using SX installer but its painfully slow with a 400Gb MicroSD to fill!