NULL

SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom

emuNAND as partition is that supported if I’m on ofw 4.1.0 someone msg me and told me not?

Someone msg me saying partitioning one not supported on OFW 4.1.0.?
    Have u any steps and links for me to complete the process?

Last edited by Zap2000, Dec 16, 2018
  2. TherealDarknes

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    I don't really care about modding now but I want it in the future I found a "XAW1007900X" switch at a store is there any way to test if it's moddable after buying it without modding it

Oh and what is "blowing a fuse"

3. steamcheapcom

steamcheapcom Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    I am currently on 5.1.0. I would like to be able to play retail games, download games, and DLC. If possible I would like to be able to still go online in the future (with actual cartridges). I would like not to use a jig every single time I boot if possible. What are my best options for which OS to install? Am I still on a good firmware?

Last edited by steamcheapcom, Dec 16, 2018
  4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    This is the only tutorial for setting up EmuNAND that I have seen. And I have not tested SX OS EmuNAND (because I don't have a license) so I don't know what works and what doesn't.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-defin...atched-or-not-purchases-after-07-2018.512018/ and https://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-efuses.494404/ although some info is outdated in the second thread such as bypassing the fuse check.
    The 100% best method of avoiding a ban is making a clean hack-free NAND backup, staying offline with all CFW/homebrew, restoring it prior to going online, then repeating the process. This works regardless of CFW as this method relies on Nintendo being unable to detect anything in RCM namely dumping and restoring the NAND. The next best method is using SX OS' EmuNAND to keep all CFW/homebrew away from SysNAND.

TherealDarknes likes this.
  5. steamcheapcom

steamcheapcom Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    Thanks, so with those methods would I need to use a jig every time I boot to access CFW? With the SX OS option, would I be able to go online, play whatever games/DLC (CFW or not), etc., as long as I did not go online with a CFW game? Is it easy to avoid doing that?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also if I decided to just backup my NAND, hack my console, and stay offline forever (until I wanted to switch it back some day to sell the console), what OS is my best option?

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    AutoRCM can remove the need for a jig but you would need to be mindful that shutting down the Switch from CFW/OFW with AutoRCM enabled causes it to reboot into RCM instead of turning off which drains battery at a rate of 5% per hour. To shut down a console with AutoRCM, you have to power it down from RCM.

With SX OS, the purpose of EmuNAND is to conduct all manner of CFW and homebrew there while staying 100% offline and going online with SysNAND without touching CFW or homebrew. SysNAND and EmuNAND do not communicate with each other whatsoever.

7. steamcheapcom

steamcheapcom Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    Thanks again. I am currently on 5.1.0. If I go online with a legit game on SX OS and my firmware gets updated, can I lose any kind of functionality? Should I try to stay on 5.1.0 or is there a better firmware?

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you are planning on playing online, you need to be on the latest firmware anyways which SX OS now supports as of V2.4

9. steamcheapcom

steamcheapcom Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    I hear you. I'm just trying to determine the consequences of updating from my current version 5.1.0. I could always buy another Switch just for online play, but I'm wondering what I lose by using the same Switch for everything (after it updates me to the latest firmware)?

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Depending on how you update, it depends. If you burn fuses which will reduce your risk of being banned, you won't be able to downgrade in case a future exploit comes out on a lower firmware such as a hypothetical untethered coldboot. If you take the minor risk of updating without burning fuses, you can still downgrade.

11. steamcheapcom

steamcheapcom Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    If I install ReiNX and don't go online with it, and I update without burning fuses, can I later put another OS on it?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Firstly, you don't "install" ReiNX or any other CFW; you run it since the exploit is only as temporary as the console stays on. Secondly, running ReiNX is enough to leave traces in the NAND that can get you banned.

13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Has there ever been a correlation with updating w/o burning fuses and being banned?

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Nope leading me to believe that updating without burning fuses is safe. At least if you don't update to a firmware that doesn't exist on a retail cartridge. The safe way of going about this is by going online and having the console download the update so Nintendo knows you got that firmware update legitimately.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Which means you'd need to go the autoRCM route, rather than ChoiDuJourNX, correct?

Edit: Or does ChoiDuJour basically just take a firmware file and then immediately enable autoRCM anyway? I'm still a little fuzzy on the mechanics there

16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Both ChoiDujour and ChoiDujourNX corrupt boot0 to have AutoRCM after the firmware is installed. I should also mention that Atmosphere builds of 0.8.0 and above prevent AutoRCM being removed from online system updates meaning its possible to update without burning fuses and ChoiDujour/ChoiDujourNX.

17. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Alright, I... think I understand now, thank you. Sorry, stuff moved really fast while I wasn't looking and now I'm kind of playing catch-up

Edit: Ok, sorry, one more question based on that answer; am I to understand that the current autoRCM implementation survives stock Nintendo updates no matter what? Or is that up to the CFW implementation? Is it wise to re-install autoRCM after every update, or would that be pointless?

Last edited by TotalInsanity4, Dec 16, 2018
  18. TherealDarknes

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Thanks man I hope I get a chance to buy it and test it they seem to be selling them all out this is the last non bundle switch they have oh and do you know if there is a video of how to do the test just so I can see how it looks

19. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Are you sure I can use 2.4 beta sx os someone if I keep sysnand on 4.1 someone told me I have to use 2.3 beta.??

yeah the problems came up with 2.4, they were previously working fine with 2.3. so that is a good point, all your steps are fine if using 2.3. I don't know why i read it as you were going to use 2.4. that's my fault.

Last edited by Zap2000, Dec 16, 2018
  20. Fede_93

Fede_93 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2018
    Italy
    Sorry to bother, i'm trying to find all the infos on this forum but it's hard to catch on all the threads. Yesterday i bought a non patched switch (still have to turn it on) and the SX pro. While i wait for the sx to arrive, can i turn on the switch and do all the updates till 6.2 through the console? Or it's better to wait at the moment?