SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I think Rei said the 6.2 build of ReiNX uses hbl.nsp instead of the 100D folder so put that in the /ReiNX folder but delete the 100D folder, keep hbmenu.nro on the root of the SD card, and try again.

2. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom

With regards to the
    If starting on low firmware 4.1.0 Is it better to keep sysNAND on this low firmware and just update emuNAND to higher fw? I have no interest in online play just playing pirated games.

What firmware is recommend for sysnand and which one for emuNAND for sx os ?
    Will it not burn fuses it I stay low fw but boot into ofw by mistake?
    And will the sysnand fw not affect my ability to play games that need higher fw ? Is there any functionality loss from running lower fw on sysnand?

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Already answered the first question so I'm not going to repeat myself.

Since SX OS now supports 6.2, EmuNAND should be on the latest firmware as there is nothing holding it back. SysNAND can be whatever firmware you want it to be, preferably as high as the firmware your retail cartridges and games require.

You will never burn fuses if EmuNAND is running a higher firmware than SysNAND because you cannot normally boot into EmuNAND in the first place. You have to use SX Loader to boot into EmuNAND which now disables the fuse check. You will only risk burning fuses if SysNAND is running a higher firmware than the current fuse count and you are not using AutoRCM.

You only need a higher firmware for SysNAND for playing games in SysNAND. EmuNAND and SysNAND are completely separated from one another. Think of it like having 2 different Switches in one console.

4. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom

Ok I prob won’t use my sysnand only if needed for better things later.
    Do I not need autoCRM to prevent fuses blowing with above set up then?
    Can the stable sx be used 2.0.1 on fw 6.1 to do this setup or only 2.4 beta on latest fw on emuNAND ?

Last edited by Zap2000, Dec 15, 2018
  5. rustb0y

rustb0y Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Tried that aswell and it seems to do the same thing., any other things i should try?

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Again, AutoRCM is only needed if you are running a higher firmware than your fuses on SysNAND; EmuNAND is irrelevant in this case.

As for EmuNAND, only SX OS V2.4 supports it. If you are using an earlier version, the highest firmware it can go up to is 6.1
    Are you sending the new ReiNX.bin as the payload or is it on your SD card? Because the one for 6.2 has to be on the SD card, not sent as a payload.

7. rustb0y

rustb0y Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I am using the 6.2 as payload and on my SD card. so i should pop the 6.2 on the SD card and payload with the previous version .bin ?

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes I don't think the 6.2 build supports being sent as the primary payload which would explain why you aren't even seeing the splash screen.

9. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Will the sleep work on this one 6.2? Is there any loss of functions on 6.2?
    How long till 2.4 becomes stable release? Is there many known bugs?
    What setup do u think would be best from scratch?

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Sleep mode works when you have a fuse count that is less than or equal to the firmware that is currently running, regardless if its SysNAND or EmuNAND.

Given that TX is now following the naming tactics of Gateway in that they are labeling all of their new releases as "betas" to sweep any issues under the rug, probably never.

Games, updates, and DLC are eventually going to require 6.2 and higher firmwares so better update EmuNAND to 6.2 and use SX OS V2.4 now rather than later. Firmware of SysNAND is going to depend on whether you want to play online, what firmware your retail cartridges/digital games require, etc.

11. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    If I’m just using pirated games on emuNAND. is it still is useful to keep sysnand on low firmware?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you want to keep your options open for future exploits such as the coveted untethered coldboot, yes. If you don't care about future exploits and are content with the current one, then no.

13. Troll1011

Troll1011 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I upgraded to 6.2.0 with choidujournx and i know it turns on autorcm. Is there a way to boot into OFW without using another device?
    i can't boot into OFW
    when i use the fusee payload through hekate i hold the volume buttons but i can't seem to get into recovery mode on atmosphere why?
    when i updated to 6.2.0 on system settings it says something like version 6.2.0 ( in the brackets it said something but i dont know because it downloaded another system version but it was like AMT)
    why is it like that?

Last edited by Troll1011, Dec 15, 2018
  14. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thx for all the help so far do If I use options open for future exploits way above would u recommend me use autoCRM or not?

Also I found this on sx os site
    OFW 4.1 and lower support: These older firmwares require special care for backwards compatibility, and in this specific release if you use SX OS, your switch will boot to a black screen.
    If you update your sysNAND this will be resolved for you. If you don't want to do that (day dreaming about the sloooowwwww booting dejavu exploit that will probably never be released) then you will have to wait for the next edition of SX OS for this to be fixed.

Does this mean the method we chatted about sysnand stay low and running lastest emuNAND fw won’t work?

15. Zap2000

Zap2000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Also will homebrew apps work as good on latest higher firmware?
    Team executer recommend innthey maual to use exfat but I read here about problems with corruptions. Should I use exfat or fat32 with the above method?

16. Steve2000

Steve2000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2018
    Dominica
    Hi...total noob question here so be gentle ;)

So my daughter accidentally updated the switch to 6.2 while it was running cfw (im using sx pro), i'm trying to get the switch back to boot for the last 2 days and i'm completely lost with this.... i redownloaded the latest 2.4 cfw from sx team, but no luck so far. I'm even struggling to load the sx pro menu to choose custom or original firmware, it doesnt load all the time, and when it loads and i click on csf or ofw the switch just goes black....

Is there anything i can do or is my switch bricked ?

ive read a lot on the forums but couldnt find an answer to this, i also do not understand what "emunand" or "fuses" are, so a very simple explanation would be great ;)

thanks a lot to help a fellow noob out !

17. icevenom

icevenom Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and help out. There is just so much to try and get your head around. How would I make a back-up of the NAND etc if I use FAT32, are there tools to get around it, would you be able to tell me which ones? and how about if i wanted to load .nsp's? would i need some sort of a splitter if the files are larger than 4GB?

I have read a lot about AutoRCM - if i have switch which is OFW 6.2 and i am installing CFW for 6.2, do i need to enable autoRCM?

I have also read about SigPatches? What do these do and do I need these if i plan to download .nsp games? do these sipatches come included in Atmosphere or ReinX?

Are there any advantages to paying and buying SX OS? - I know there is a lot po politic behind this whole thing from what i have reas, but for the average user is this a good platform, or is Atmosphere enough?

Thank you again.

18. rustb0y

rustb0y Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    i have tried and it comes up with a error? package 2 magic error with using the previous version as a payload

19. turtlejay

turtlejay Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2018
    United States
    I just powered on a brand new switch with a 128gb sd card in it. Its on firmware 4.0.1. I backed up NAND via Hekate based on the tutorial here: https://guide.sdsetup.com/ . I am contemplating purchasing SX OS solely because of EmuNAND. I do not have a windows pc and im injecting payload from my Android, which works wonderfully. Im trying to figure out the next step. I havent found a clear and concise tutorial in which they discuss how to create the EmuNAND. Also if anyone is familiar with MAC OS, is the MS-DOS FAT option in Disk Utility the same as FAT32? if so i have a 128gb FAT32 Sd card empty atm.

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    To boot into OFW, you can use the Stock Launch Configuration of Hekate.
    I'd only recommend AutoRCM if you care about burning fuses and you either use Sleep Mode a lot or know how to properly turn off a console with AutoRCM. To properly turn it off, you must turn it off from RCM not Horizon (name of Switch's OS)
    FAT32 is superior over exFAT especially when it comes to homebrew. SX OS recommends exFAT because they don't bother providing the community alternatives to splitters or tools that can install files larger than 4 GB without paying heed to possible corruption issues.
    If your SD card is formatted as exFAT, this will cause it to not boot because you are on firmware 6.2 without exFAT support. Format the SD card to FAT32. If it is bigger than 32 GB, you will have to use a third-party program such as GUIFormat. FAT32 is better than exFAT anyway since there are a plethora of ways to bypass the 4 GB limit on FAT32 plus you have no chance at corruption with FAT32 unlike exFAT.
    Hekate, which is the main tool to dump the NAND, dumps it in parts which you can join together afterwards. Alternatively you can temporarily use exFAT to dump the NAND in one part as Hekate is separate from Horizon (name of the Switch's OS) so its irrelevant if your system supports exFAT or not. For installing .NSP files, USB installation is highly preferred as it not only works on both FAT32 and exFAT but is faster than the regular installation.

AutoRCM is primarily meant to remove the need for a jig (because it AUTOmatically boots the console into RCM).

SX OS is the only CFW that supports .XCI loading (all other CFW support .XCI conversions and installation), HDDs, EmuNAND, and their own cheat engine. Everything else can be done in Atmosphere and then some. For example, there is a program that lets you play games that support LAN over the Internet known as Switch Lan Play. Think of it like Xlinkai for the Switch (which is also coming soon). The problem was that this tool only supported games that had LAN and not all games support LAN. There is now a kip that converts games that only have local wireless into LAN meaning all games with local multiplayer can be played "online" which SX OS does not support. Atmosphere also allows you further customization of the CFW itself as well as boot0 protection when updating officially. Meaning that if you have AutoRCM enabled and you update online, AutoRCM won't be removed (it is normally removed upon system updates).

I believe someone compiled the latest ReiNX commits into a build. You can give it a try: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/470724990296391711/523608206090567690/reinx_dec15.zip
    This is the only tutorial I have found with setting up EmuNAND.