Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Ok I am REALLY out of the loop. I have clean 2.0.0 launch unit (only upgraded from 1.0.0, no exfat). What should I do/install/backup? What is the best guide for that?

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Is external HDD loading via sx os better than internal mircro SD? Is it any faster?

I am getting conflicting results.

2) If I have Pokemon lets go installed as NSP and have the XCI also, will it load the same save file? or separate saves?

3) does newly bought switches not work with SXOS anymore?

Last edited by ,

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo doesn't ban users for people who don't have burnt fuses since the NAND doesn't check this (that check is done before the console is turned on so the assumption is made fuses are burnt).
So why is it that a fuseless update to 6.1.0 has a higher ban risk than 5.1.0? Can Nintendo detect that the update has been made offline (which is impossible for any FW higher than 5.1.0)?

dragonking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello GBATEMP!

My Switch was purchased shortly after launch, but due to being busy with work and study the past year I haven't started hacking it yet and most of the news went right past me. My situation now is as follows: I have a completely clean/unmodified Switch at firmware 3.0.0 and I would like to get started hacking it.

1) What is the best place or strategy to start at this moment? A friend suggested to install Atmosphere/Hekate, is that the best option or is there a certain sequence of other operations I have to do first?
2) What should I do with the firmware? Update it to a higher version for compatibility with more games? What firmware is currently the 'sweet spot'? Which games have that update included?
3) Is it recommended / beneficial to update without burning eFuses for me? From what I understand it might be possible to no longer have to launch RCM mode manually but is it really worth going through all the trouble?
4) Without posting anything that is prohibited according to the forum guidelines, which keys do I have to get in order to play backups? Actually, how does the Switch handle these keys? Do they differ per console / game / individual cartridge? A simple explanation would help me very much to understand this.

Yes, I'm a n00b, I know...

Thanks in advance!

MisterMue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello GBATEMP!

My Switch was purchased shortly after launch, but due to being busy with work and study the past year I haven't started hacking it yet and most of the news went right past me. My situation now is as follows: I have a completely clean/unmodified Switch at firmware 3.0.0 and I would like to get started hacking it.

1) What is the best place or strategy to start at this moment? A friend suggested to install Atmosphere/Hekate, is that the best option or is there a certain sequence of other operations I have to do first?
2) What should I do with the firmware? Update it to a higher version for compatibility with more games? What firmware is currently the 'sweet spot'? Which games have that update included?
3) Is it recommended / beneficial to update without burning eFuses for me? From what I understand it might be possible to no longer have to launch RCM mode manually but is it really worth going through all the trouble?
4) Without posting anything that is prohibited according to the forum guidelines, which keys do I have to get in order to play backups? Actually, how does the Switch handle these keys? Do they differ per console / game / individual cartridge? A simple explanation would help me very much to understand this.

Yes, I'm a n00b, I know...

Thanks in advance!

1) as a happy user i would suggest to use sx dongle
2) from point of my statement 1) i am fine on 6.1.0 without any issue
3) i have no experience with that, only made the regular updates and stopped when 6.2.0 came out (as 6.2.0 is reported as not working homebrew/hack )
4) i never had something to do with keys. it is possible to backup original cards to xci format very easy

You see, uisng SX dongle is easy, others would claim hekate/atmosphere is better. Keep in mind SXos is the only solution which can handle XCI, too

PT333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I want to migrate all my data, including installed NSPs to bigger memory card, is it enough to do Ctrl+A & Ctrl+C?

Ranshiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'd like to update my games offline. I have a couple questions about Tinfoil.

1. When installing an update does Tinfoil still allow for ignoring the latest firmware check, or is that only for when installing the base game?

2. What is the "real" Tinfoil. I saw some people talking about only the "old" Tinfoil has the ignore firmware option. And then I saw some thread before about there being a fake Tinfoil and Tinfoil now being called something else.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I am REALLY out of the loop. I have clean 2.0.0 launch unit (only upgraded from 1.0.0, no exfat). What should I do/install/backup? What is the best guide for that?
https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/
1) Is external HDD loading via sx os better than internal mircro SD? Is it any faster?

I am getting conflicting results.

2) If I have Pokemon lets go installed as NSP and have the XCI also, will it load the same save file? or separate saves?

3) does newly bought switches not work with SXOS anymore?
  1. This I have not heard anything nor have I seen any comparison videos. I suspect this is something you can easily test though by loading the same game via both HDD and SD card to see which is faster
  2. Save files are stored on the NAND, not in the games themselves. The console reads the title ID of whatever game you're launching and reads its save file
  3. Only if the serial number is patched but most units made after July do not work with any of the currently available CFW

So why is it that a fuseless update to 6.1.0 has a higher ban risk than 5.1.0? Can Nintendo detect that the update has been made offline (which is impossible for any FW higher than 5.1.0)?
Because there are cartridges in circulation that come with firmware 5.1 but not 6.1. Think of it like this: which one has a higher chance of an update via homebrew, someone who update to 5.1 or 6.1?
If I want to migrate all my data, including installed NSPs to bigger memory card, is it enough to do Ctrl+A & Ctrl+C?
Yes
Does usb install still working on latest tinfoil?
Not sure if the latest works but if not, you can move down chronologically until it works.
I'd like to update my games offline. I have a couple questions about Tinfoil.

1. When installing an update does Tinfoil still allow for ignoring the latest firmware check, or is that only for when installing the base game?

2. What is the "real" Tinfoil. I saw some people talking about only the "old" Tinfoil has the ignore firmware option. And then I saw some thread before about there being a fake Tinfoil and Tinfoil now being called something else.
  1. It allows for ignoring the firmware for whatever .NSP file you install
  2. The original Tinfoil was handed control from Adubbz to Xortroll and Xortroll renamed it to Goldleaf. The "other" Tinfoil was a project called DZ (deez nuts) and was renamed to Tinfoil for a variety of reasons.

Ranshiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The original Tinfoil was handed control from Adubbz to Xortroll and Xortroll renamed it to Goldleaf. The "other" Tinfoil was a project called DZ (deez nuts) and was renamed to Tinfoil for a variety of reasons.

thanks for the info. Which version would you recommend? i heard something about the the "other" Tinfoil (which is now called Tinfoil) is "bad" in some way (i have no idea). does Goldleaf do the ignoring firmware? or is that only available on the older original Tinfoil?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the info. Which version would you recommend? i heard something about the the "other" Tinfoil (which is now called Tinfoil) is "bad" in some way (i have no idea). does Goldleaf do the ignoring firmware? or is that only available on the older original Tinfoil?
The original Tinfoil which everyone was using is now named Goldleaf and is the one most people are still using. Its just a name difference, the tool is still Tinfoil/Goldleaf. DZ/Tinfoil is an embarrassment to the community and doesn't deserve anymore attention than it already has.

TsukiRyori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im installing a nsp on tinfoil using fw 4.x.x but it is saying fw too low to decrpyt the game even tho i already picked ignore fw version.

obsolete1101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this stuff is getting really exciting! As I have virtually no chance of getting a 3.0.0 firmware Switch, would I be able to run to the store and get a 4.x switch and install ReiNX CFW on it? Or will that not work since the latest serials are patched?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this stuff is getting really exciting! As I have virtually no chance of getting a 3.0.0 firmware Switch, would I be able to run to the store and get a 4.x switch and install ReiNX CFW on it? Or will that not work since the latest serials are patched?
If your serial number is not patched, you can run CFW and homebrew on it.

Loko4

Trophies
Website
www.loko4.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Some doubt, if anyone could help I apreeciate.

Factory reset is asking for connect to internet, the connection is only to unlink the user with eshop or it update too?

krampster2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello folks, I'm totally new to this and just got my R4S and 128gb SDXC card recently.

My Switch is on firmware 6.1 and when I insert my SD card it asks me to update. I have no idea what I'm doing but a quick scan of the forums tells me I have two options; update to 6.2 because it was cracked just yesterday or follow the instructions on the "How to get ExFat working on any custom firmware" thread (can't link because I'm a new member).

Are these my only options? If so, which one should I pick? My intentions are to use a payload of some kind to run games stored on my SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there