Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is currently on 5.x firmware, and I don't currently have any interest in hacking/homebrew/piracy, but I would like to keep my options available for doing it in the future. At the same time, I would really like to be able to updeate my games and play online and everything right now, and I don't want to risk getting my console banned for doing anything. Do I currently have options for this?
The current exploit used to load all CFW is based on the hardware of the Switch, not the firmware. We determine the hardware by looking at the Serial Number of the console (an easy rule of thumb is most units bought before July 2018 should be vulnerable). Basically, you can still hack your console no matter what firmware it is on as long as the hardware isn't patched.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
For starters, there are really only 3 distinct CFW available: Atmosphere, SX OS, and ReiNX. Hekate is not a CFW but a bootloader; its job is to run CFW. RajNX is a bastardization of Hekate and Atmosphere that was created to spite the legal ES patches ReiNX developed but for Atmosphere.

With the terminology out of the way, the sdsetup guide is probably the best one because it links you to all currently available CFW (not sure about SX OS since its behind a paywall); it can set you up with Atmosphere, ReiNX, or both.

Thanks a lot, will give them a read! May return with additional questions though.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The current exploit used to load all CFW is based on the hardware of the Switch, not the firmware. We determine the hardware by looking at the Serial Number of the console (an easy rule of thumb is most units bought before July 2018 should be vulnerable). Basically, you can still hack your console no matter what firmware it is on as long as the hardware isn't patched.

Thats what i've heard before, but then in the sticky thread about firmware compatibility, it says dont upgrade past firmware 5. I have a switch with the original hardware.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats what i've heard before, but then in the sticky thread about firmware compatibility, it says dont upgrade past firmware 5. I have a switch with the original hardware.
It doesn't say that. When the thread got updated, the latest firmware at the time was 5.X and ever since firmware 6.0 came out, the thread hasn't been updated. Of course, most things in that thread still ring true.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I’m missing something.... Regarding split xci files, do the .xc0 and .xc1 files need to be in a separate folder? I select the first file and (.xc0) and it doesn’t give the option to install. Thanks in advance!
I've never installed a split .XCI or .NSP file but going off of on the installation instructions on the n1dus thread:
Installing files over 4GB on FAT32
  • Split files using either AnalogMan151 splitNSP, or my slightly modified version in tools/splitFile.py (which handles any file extension, and set the archive bit for you (windows only)). I have made a pull request for some of the changes.
  • Make sure the generated folder has the right extension (XCI or NSP), and has the archive bit set ("Folder is ready for archiving" under windows).
  • The generated folder should show up under n1dus as regular NSP or XCI file.
  • Install as you would normally do with n1dus!
Not sure how you generate a folder with an extension but in Windows, you can right-click on a Folder and go to Properties to enable the Archive flag.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you can't spoof the firmware with games ? I would like to play Starlink but I also want to stay on 5.1.0...
Starlink doesn't require firmware 6.0
It's possible to use ftp while the switch is in airplane mode?
local wireless?
You have to enable Wi-Fi in Airplane Mode for FTP to work.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Starlink doesn't require firmware 6.0

Well it asks me to update the console to play, and the last version before 6.0 was 5.1, the firmware I'm on right now.

The update is causing the problem, but I need it because it's like half of the game itself

Last edited by Niels Van Son,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it asks me to update the console to play, and the last version before 6.0 was 5.1, the firmware I'm on right now.

The update is causing the problem, but I need it because it's like half of the game itself
I believe Starlink has a day 1 update. Did you install any updates or just Starlink by itself?

Meg1322

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earlier I was able to boot sx os and now it won’t boot up, when I try and turn it on with the dongle, it flashes blue then green and just stays on a black screen.

Nyaako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I made a NAND backup of my Switch before hacking it. If I wanted to play games online and needing to flash the back up NAND back in to avoid ban, would I keep the saves that I made for the games in CFW or would they disappear after restoring?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I made a NAND backup of my Switch before hacking it. If I wanted to play games online and needing to flash the back up NAND back in to avoid ban, would I keep the saves that I made for the games in CFW or would they disappear?
They will disappear. You can either back them up with another NAND backup or use a homebrew application save manager instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways