Switch Light on 8.0.1...

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Bonny, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Bonny
    OP

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Got a Switch Light yesterday on it's release date here in Europe (20.09.2019). It came with FW 8.0.1

Of course, i know that there's no hacking option yet. Latest FW is 9.0.0 right? Is it smart to use the eshop or play Links Awakening (cartridge version), or sould i just put it on the shelf?

2. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    United States
    will most likely be years before can it gets hacked if ever. Just update it play it and enjoy

3. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    You're sure right. I also pre-ordered the Pokemon limited edition for collectors purpose ( https://www.amazon.de/Nintendo-Switch-Lite-Limited-grau/dp/B07V29SJ7C/ ) , this thing will be released on 08. November. So i'll guess it comes with FW 9.0.0 at least.

P.S.: Will this limited edition also be released in the US? ... Nevermind, just checked Amazon.com, and yes, it's also coming out in the US, on the same date.

4. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    Why? Nintendo is a master of OS vulnerabilities.

peteruk likes this.
  5. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Well, indeed. That's a fact ^_^

6. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo has done a very good job of securing things this time around. The typical way we used to exploit consoles using game save exploits has been defeated by ASLR.

The only reason we got RCM was because of a vulnerability with the Tegra chip, that's NVidia's fault and not Nintendo's. We were lucky we got PegaSwitch on older firmwares.

But ReSwitched has said they don't have an "ace up their sleeve" for this. There are no spare exploits being kept. We'll be lucky if the Switch Lite ever gets hacked. If I had to guess I'd say we might get basic homebrew eventually, but never full-blown CFW.

7. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Unless you bought the Switch to sit in the shelf, update it. Chances are that any future exploit will require higher than 8.1, though there is always a risk.

8. laramie

laramie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    I am a peep working on the lite, and I'm on my way, no reliable way in yet but rest assured someone is on it. Nintendo has out done themselves so it'll be a bit but nothing is "unhackable ;) stay low (on fw) and stay safe :P

9. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    It's true till they find a new exploit. But the latter might neve happen, or it can happen tomorrow. We shall see.

10. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    It's the same advice as with every new console. If you only bought it for hacking then don't update and put it on a shelf. If you bought it to play games then update and enjoy it without worrying about if a hack ever gets released or not.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted