Hacking Switch Informations by serial number - READ THE FIRST POST before asking questions

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Question: When the console is "patched", is that a physical (new chip etc) fix or a firmware fix? The reason I'm asking is that I would like to purchase switch on the official nintendo online store. They do have plenty refurbished models available (both red joy-cons; assuming maybe it was a super mario odyssey bundle one time). I really doubt those refurbished models are "patched" but may have the updated firmware which as of now 6.0. Any insight on this? thanks guys

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: When the console is "patched", is that a physical (new chip etc) fix or a firmware fix? The reason I'm asking is that I would like to purchase switch on the official nintendo online store. They do have plenty refurbished models available (both red joy-cons; assuming maybe it was a super mario odyssey bundle one time). I really doubt those refurbished models are "patched" but may have the updated firmware which as of now 6.0. Any insight on this? thanks guys
Its the read-only bootrom that's different. TX were kind enough to share the exact changes made to the bootrom in one of these units which prevents the stack overflow bootrom exploit from not working. This exploit is unpatchable from a software perspective because it takes advantage of the hardware of the console; its nature as an exploit is a coldboot meaning its triggered before the firmware is even loaded. Theoretically, you could swap the bootrom of a patched unit with an unpatched unit but that sounds extremely difficult given how small it is. Also these changes cannot be applied after the console is not manufactured without tearing apart the entire console as explained already.

Reactions: Krazyeye

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Its the read-only bootrom that's different. TX were kind enough to share the exact changes made to the bootrom in one of these units which prevents the stack overflow bootrom exploit from not working. This exploit is unpatchable from a software perspective because it takes advantage of the hardware of the console; its nature as an exploit is a coldboot meaning its triggered before the firmware is even loaded. Theoretically, you could swap the bootrom of a patched unit with an unpatched unit but that sounds extremely difficult given how small it is. Also these changes cannot be applied after the console is not manufactured without tearing apart the entire console as explained already.
I see, thanks for that information. Has Mario Odyssey bundle encountered any issues to softmodding (again assuming the console is NOT patched)? For example, using SX PRO

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, thanks for that information. Has Mario Odyssey bundle encountered any issues to softmodding (again assuming the console is NOT patched)? For example, using SX PRO
SX Pro is not a softmod; it relies on the same bootrom exploit that is currently being patched in some units. There are softmods known to work up to firmware 4.1 however those are unreleased and show no sign of being released anytime soon. I'm also unsure if Nintendo would update their firmware so they are no longer susceptible to those softmods or not but you never know.

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
SX Pro is not a softmod; it relies on the same bootrom exploit that is currently being patched in some units. There are softmods known to work up to firmware 4.1 however those are unreleased and show no sign of being released anytime soon. I'm also unsure if Nintendo would update their firmware so they are no longer susceptible to those softmods or not but you never know.
Sorry I got the words all mixed up. I meant softmod as modding in general, I just referring it to SX PRO. So to sum up; Patched Console will not work with SX PRO or any other bootrom exploit method as of now?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I got the words all mixed up. I meant softmod as modding in general, I just referring it to SX PRO. So to sum up; Patched Console will not work with SX PRO or any other bootrom exploit method as of now?
Well it won't work with the current bootrom exploit. However, they may work with other bootrom exploits; they just need to be discovered first then tested.

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As long as Atmosphère runs on it, TX will eventually, too. And all current Switch'es are of the same type (same hardware) so there is no problem.
I advice you to checkout all the other CFW solutions before you go uninformed, spending 30$ for XCI loading.

OOPS: you guys are too fast for me

Last edited by Resaec,

jamezco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all... newbie here... I just recently got the switch and it's XAJ700464 but for the life of me I'm not sure if this is patched... I googled so much but can't find anyone whom posted this serial number before... anyone have any idea pls... also how do i test if it's patched or not patched without making the Switch a brick?

Last edited by jamezco,

jamezco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

MrAnonymousMann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a custom colored switch from colorware a bit too late and I'm 90% its patched (I'm kinda new to modding so I can't seem to get much working). I was trying to make a nand backup but can't seem to get the hakate payload to run. Here is my info...

Serial: XAW1008426XXXX
Serial on device matches serial on box: yes
Region: USA
Firmware: 5.1.0
Color option: Grey (Original color)
Store: Colorware.com
Was a bundle (if yes, which): No
Purchase date: July 26, 2018
Fusée Gelée works: I don't know

Kinda dumped that it might be patched but knowing the talent in this community, I'm hopeful someone will find another exploit soon. Just gotta play the waiting game...
Thanks!

jamezco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a custom colored switch from colorware a bit too late and I'm 90% its patched (I'm kinda new to modding so I can't seem to get much working). I was trying to make a nand backup but can't seem to get the hakate payload to run. Here is my info...

Serial: XAW1008426XXXX
Serial on device matches serial on box: yes
Region: USA
Firmware: 5.1.0
Color option: Grey (Original color)
Store: Colorware.com
Was a bundle (if yes, which): No
Purchase date: July 26, 2018
Fusée Gelée works: I don't know

Kinda dumped that it might be patched but knowing the talent in this community, I'm hopeful someone will find another exploit soon. Just gotta play the waiting game...
Thanks!

Use the Smashing method to confirm if it's hackable if your serial is not in the list to be 100% sure ^_^

Essometer

Needs data
OP
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
Use the Smashing method to confirm if it's hackable if your serial is not in the list to be 100% sure ^_^
I think you misunderstand the point of this thread a bit. If you have already complete access to the console, you don't need to check the serial. Just test the RCM payload.
This thread is for people who are going to the store and want to know if the switch is patched before they buy.
Also, the serial don't need to match 100%, that's pointless. We have sufficient Data about the XAW1008 series to make a prediction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good idea