Hacking Question Switch forcing game updates on backups on SX?

SkinZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I own Mario Kart, and have played it for hours, but because I lose things easy, I have now got as an XCI.

Since I am going to dump all my games to XCI to stop me losing them, I swapped my old small MicroSD card that was in the Switch for a new larger one.

However this messed up the updates which I think were stored on the old SD, and now when I try and load Mario Kart it says that it needs to download an update.

I deleted the data and tried to run it fresh (with save games backed up on checkpoint just in case) but still asks to download data.

I have managed to download 5 or 6 different NSP updates from oldest to newest via PC to stop switch connecting online, but still I have a problem.

When I install the older updates I get "Software needs to download an update", and when I install a newer update I get "You need the latest firmware to run this software version"

So I'm a bit stuck. I've tried holding VOL+ and - on startup then rebooting to try and wipe any half installed updates but that didn't do it. I've tried deleting game data and factory restore (without wiping save) and that didn't do it.

I dont want to update from 4.1.0 to 5.X to get it to work with the latest update, I just want to run the game again.

I am running in Airplane mode but there may be a chance I connected to the internet (even though it was with supposedly safe Proxy settings) when testing out FTP. Has that contributed?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance everyone

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have savegame data that was created with an updated version. That's why the switch won't let you run this game unless you update. I saw that there were two new dumps released, rev001 and rev001, which is a reprint of the game with updates included. You might get lucky if you acquire the rev002 somehow and try to run this.
I find it a bit weird that the game asks you to update your system though.

Last edited by wurstpistole,
Reactions: SkinZ

SkinZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thought of mirroring the old sd onto the new one?
Old one has be formatted unfortunately to do a proper clone.
All I did was copy all files from old fat32 card to PC.
Installed 4.1.0 with exfat update over 4.1.0 without exfat

New card, EXFAT, copy everything from PC to card.
Switch didn't like it.
Re-format new card as fat32 in case the partitions messed it up somehow. Same error as above, so went back to EXFAT as dont want to split XCIs, and then came here!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have savegame data that was created with an updated version. That's why the switch won't let you run this game unless you update. I saw that there were two new dumps released, rev001 and rev001, which is a reprint of the game with updates included. You might get lucky if you acquire the rev002 somehow and try to run this.
I might give that a go. Maybe get the NSP rev001 from places and test that out. Hopefully saves will be compatible. TBH i don't mind losing Kart saves, but I'd be gutted to lose Zelda saves!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can use devmenu to reset the RequiredVersion for that game if you're okay with playing an outdated version.
Haven't messed with Devmenu yet so I didn't know that was an option. But likely self-banned anyway so I may as well give that a go.

Thanks for the suggestion

SkinZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This was the problem!
Downloaded every update nsp and installed oldest first and tried the game, fail, then next newest, fail etc etc finally tried an update that was 2 updates old and it worked straight away so must have been the version I was on last time I saved a game. Massive thanks to everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1