Modded Switch and "This software closed because an error occurred" crash

downeaster59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are two modded Switches in my household. One is a v1 Switch that has seven games installed on it (games I've bought from Nintendo). All games have their latest updates and are working fine. I have recently bought an OLED Switch with Picofly already installed. I have the same seven games installed on it. All updates. Last saturday, all was well. I went back a couple of hours later and TOTK started crashing as soon as I started it up, with the message "This software was closed because an error occurred". The next day, the same error appeared in BOTW, but only after it had been running for a minute or so.

I have Switch firmware 17.0.1, Hekate 6.1, Atmosphere 1.6.2, and the latest versions of all the games. I have tried updating sigpatches. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the two affected games. (The other games remain unaffected.) I have run the archive bit fix. othing has worked except that I discovered that TOTK 1.0 would run. Installing an update brings back the "error" message. BOTW continues to crash after a minute or so, whether I load from a save or start a new game.

I see that lots of people have had this error here and there, but I haven't found the magic formula that might work for me. I'm open to suggestions!

downeaster59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No mods for either game. The one thing I did that involves both games was to have the save files dumped thru JKSV. I then edited the save files with Marc Robledo's savegame editor and then restored them through JKSV. But I deleted all saves for both games when I reinstalled. Could a save game editor do this?The editor causes no problems when I play the games on Steam Deck.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably something got corrupted, generally you want a backup of your save just in case. Anyway what is your SD card format?

downeaster59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried dumping BOTW from my other Switch and just running BOTW off the game card. It still crashes at exactly the same place.

I'm going to call it a night and try again tomorrow. If you or anyone else have other suggestions, feel free to leave them for me, but I won;t get to them till some time tomorrow. Thanks!!
Post automatically merged:

I'll get back to this today at some point, though I have had no success so far. I wonder if I'd be better off to just wipe my microSD card and start over again, as I can't seem to locate where the corrupted file(s) or data may be, or if that's even the problem. Again, thanks for any suggestions you offer.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling. I've tried sigpatches (though I'm not sure if I used the right ones). Nothing has helped. I tried running BOTW off the game cartridge. I had the same error, at the same moment in the game, while running it in CFW emuMMC and CFW sysMMC. However, the game ran normally ion the vanilla stock firmware. I know, at least, the the problem is not in the game cartridge, I've booted into maintenance mode. I still haven't found the problem. When I checked BOTW for corrupt data, the system found corrupt data very quickly. I still don't know where the corrupt data is coming from.

Last edited by downeaster59,

downeaster59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm closer to the problem and the solution. It seems that my copy of BOTW (even though I originally bought it as a game cartridge) has corrupt data. In fact, the dump I made from my other Switch also has corrupt data. TOTK works now (no corrupt data) but the game crashes if I install the 1.2.1 update. All my other games remain fine. The copy of BOTW on my Steam Deck seems to work fine there, but if I make a copy of it and try to install it on my OLED Switch, I get errors. I'm not sure what to do next. I need a good copy of BOTW, it seems!

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my guess is that your sd card or sd module in your switch is end-of-life :) , run it through crystaldiskmark and check random/random4k speeds, if it is under .5mbps there is a problem and you will have issues especially if you are using tinfoil as it seems to make corrupt data if it can't push it to the card fast enough.. if you have a spare 32/64gb sd, do a test by making a fresh atmo install with only basics, no tesla or edizon etc.. just vanilla atmosphere, sys-patch, the installer (fbi) and the game / nsp update you are having an issue with and do not get anything from a tinfoil shop.. if that all works slow format your sd (FAT32!) and build it back up this same way.

downeaster59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SD card is fairly new and has been in use only about a month or so. Still, one never knows! I ran the Crystal Disk Mark test, which I have attached to this post. It seems OK.

Your comments about Tinfoil are very interesting. Since both modded Switches that I bought came with Tinfoil already installed, I assumed that this is the go-to installer. What are some good alternatives?

I have a spare 128GB card, so I can try what you suggest and see if that will work. Thanks!

Well, I'm still new at the modded Switch stuff. I discovered Rentry today, and saw that my sd card hadn't been set up properly. I tested my theory on a smaller, 128GB card. BOTW installed and did not crash when launched. Now I've redone my original 1 TB card by the Rentry process. BOTW is now installed and working properly on it. I'll try other games, but it looks like I have solved my problem.

Attachments

• CrystalDiskMark_20240307112231.png
    CrystalDiskMark_20240307112231.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by downeaster59,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

YamiAAD

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
My SD card is fairly new and has been in use only about a month or so. Still, one never knows! I ran the Crystal Disk Mark test, which I have attached to this post. It seems OK.

Your comments about Tinfoil are very interesting. Since both modded Switches that I bought came with Tinfoil already installed, I assumed that this is the go-to installer. What are some good alternatives?

I have a spare 128GB card, so I can try what you suggest and see if that will work. Thanks!

Well, I'm still new at the modded Switch stuff. I discovered Rentry today, and saw that my sd card hadn't been set up properly. I tested my theory on a smaller, 128GB card. BOTW installed and did not crash when launched. Now I've redone my original 1 TB card by the Rentry process. BOTW is now installed and working properly on it. I'll try other games, but it looks like I have solved my problem.
can you please tell me what is Rentry process, I have 256 GB SD Card, every thing is working fine, ZELDA TOTK on V1 it is booting normally nut whenever I update to 1.21 using tinfoil or AWWW Installer, It breaks, kindly tell me how did you fix this issue.

can you please tell me what is Rentry process, I have 256 GB SD Card, every thing is working fine, ZELDA TOTK on V1 it is booting normally nut whenever I update to 1.21 using tinfoil or AWWW Installer, It breaks, kindly tell me how did you fix this issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto