Switch Buttons in GBA - MODE

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by freshness, Jun 14, 2009.

1. freshness
    OP

freshness Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2009
    Gambia, The
    NRW
    Hey, few days ago I got my 3in1 Ez expansion pack!

I love the features, but that´s not the topic. What really sucks, that you can´t switch the buttons. Look, I mean, its so fucking annoying to hold B for running and then press A for jumping. It would be much easier to hold Y for running than pressing B for jumping. Maybe you don´t get my point, I know, its a small problem and maybe you think: what a jerk...but fuck it I want to hold the Y-Button, playing would be so much smoother for me...

So, I want to know if there is a patcher or something like that for gba-roms to realize my wish, because I couldn´t imagine that a homebrew prog can handle this...maybe someone can write a little program, i would do it by myself, but I have no idea of DS programming...

Please, don´t insult me, because, I´ve found nothing about it, maybe I´m the only person on this planet complaining about the A/B buttons...

2. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Unfortunately, it's not possible. When the DS goes into GBA mode, those two buttons are disabled and have no function. I think it's hardwired that way and cannot be changed. I've always wished you could use the x and y buttons in GBA games too since the a and b buttons tend to get more use than the rest of the buttons on the DS.

3. koji2009

koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    Basically when you load a GBA game, your DS goes into GBA mode... That is, it uses a GBA BIOS built into the DS... This BIOS acts just like a regular GBA and therefore can't see the extra DS hardware. There is no way to modify this BIOS since it's on a read only chip so there is no way to accomplish this.

4. Reaper

Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

Oct 14, 2008
    United States
    Damn. I was thinking of a hack to have X and Y be turbo A and B.

5. Dizzy Doom

Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    While software-wise it's imposible (unless we somehow got a GBA emulator), hardware wise it's pretty possible. You'd have to make some modifications, and put a switch to change Y-B for A-B. Of course, doing such a thing isn't easy, but the alternative is there.

6. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    There actually is a modchip for the DS that does exactly that. I haven't seen them switch A/B to Y/B though, which I agree would be very beneficial.

7. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, they would have to change it to B/Y instead of Y/B, or it would become weird as heck.

8. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    I was more referring to the buttons themselves, not the order, but yeah of course that's what I meant.