Hardware Switch bricked after short in LCD

Mocho

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, I received a switch to replace the usb port charging. After reassembly and turn on appears some coloured stripes in the screen. Disassembly again and noticed some pins of the LCD FPC were bended. Replaced then the FPC connector.
Then try to turn it on and just working backlight, no image. Connected to windows shows APX at connect time (disconnected and reconnected battery in every try). Then disconnecting the LCD show Nintendo Switch in device manager instread APX so I supposed turned on properly bad something wrong in any LCD board line. After retry with LCD connected and disconnected, now always show APX.
Somebody can gimme a clue what to measure aroung LCD IC and FPC?.

P.S. LCD is OK, tested with other board and FPC soldered checked with microscope, al pins right soldered and no tin between two adjacent pins, anyway tried to switch it before resolder the FPC and show APX as well I suppose withouth screen can boot up properly...

Mocho

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I mean for the switch...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

LOL I was too blonde, for a moment remembered fixing in the past a 3DS and happened the same, without peripherals connected don't pass the boot check

Edit: Was an advance but joy was halfway, show the chargin icon at connect time but the black screen and fan spinning at maximum speed so still not booting up

Last edited by Mocho,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I mean for the switch...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

LOL I was too blonde, for a moment remembered fixing in the past a 3DS and happened the same, without peripherals connected don't pass the boot check

Edit: Was an advance but joy was halfway, show the chargin icon at connect time but the black screen and fan spinning at maximum speed so still not booting up
I think the Switch can boot without the LCD connected.
Seems like one of the components fried, or something is not connected/seated properly.
You can try booting into Recovery Mode and Safe Mode, see if either of them work. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Boot_Modes
Next thing would be to double check all the connections and make sure they're all good. And you can test the capacitors around some of the chips for continuity to ground, normally only one side should have continuity to ground, if multiple capacitors are shorted to ground on both sides that is a sign of a fried chip.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Mocho

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is common mode chokes located near FPC, they can go bad very easily.
Check continuity per lane and make sure lanes aren't shorted to each-other.

Attachments

• main-unit-1.png
    main-unit-1.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 187

Mocho

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
There is common mode chokes located near FPC, they can go bad very easily.
Check continuity per lane and make sure lanes aren't shorted to each-other.
Those I think are EMI filters, for LCD, if were faulty and shoted I think don't get image and like commented has the charge icon for a short at connect charging time. Anyway gonna disassembly it again and check properply. Thanks for the idea

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.