swapping save files

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by -KangaRod-, Dec 31, 2007.

Dec 31, 2007

swapping save files by -KangaRod- at 8:07 PM (1,841 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. -KangaRod-
    OP

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    sort of a DS question too. I want to take the save file from one copy of Fire Red and put it on to another copy of Fire Red. Both of them are 'legit' carts.
    I say legit cause one is a clone from eBay that has all my save info on. I want to take it off there and put it on a legit cart.

I have several GBA's, Link cables, and a DS (w/R4).

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You could try Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool: http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/Rudolph/2007-12-24

I think it should work, but it's hard to tell from a Google translation, and no one else seems to have noticed it's existance yet. Please post your results if you try it.

Oh, and back up your saves and other important files from your microSD card before running programs like this.

3. VBKirby

Member VBKirby GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I never buy games off of ebay anymore. All of the Pokemon games I've bought were bootleg copies.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Woah, you're right, I had no idea that existed. Good find. Sounds like it'll offer what Eepinator doesn't in the way of GBA savegame management from slot-1. Shame I don't have a slot-1 or I'd test it right now.

5. -KangaRod-
    OP

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I can figure out how to get the save back up off the bootleg cart, but I can't seem to get the legit cart to take the new save file.
    Is there a trick to it?
    Maybe it needs a different name or size?

6. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Legit Pokémon GBA games have a save size of 128KB/1Mb, while most bootlegs only use a 64KB/512Kb file. This is cause Pokémon has a backup save, which means the whole save is on the cart twice, on legit ones anyway.

Copy the whole save at the end of the save again (Hex-Editor, although a copy /b should work too) and see if it writes. If not, many progs have problems writing 1Mbit GBA saves since there are barely any games that use them, in which case you'd need another prog.

7. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany