Swapping out a Dreamcast's GD-Rom pickup for a CD one?

Crimsonclaw111

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to replace the Dreamcast's GD-Rom optical pickup with a regular CD one? I know I'd lose access to legit, retail discs. But seeing as how CD-Rs work correctly on a CD player, they should work even if plugged into the Dreamcast, right?

I need to know because this Dreamcast I have keeps having read issues, and I've already tried adjusting the laser POT. I keep having to redo this everyday.

Please and thanks!

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once had a Dreamcast where the GD-ROM drive stopped reading retail discs, yet it would load CD-R backups just fine. What's up with that?

Anyway, considering how relatively cheap DC systems can be found for these days, I don't know that I'd bother messing with trying to put a CD drive it was never meant to run in there and hoping it works.

Something like this might also be worth looking into.

Crimsonclaw111

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem with SD hacks (as far as I know anyway) on Dreamcast is that compatibility is not 100%. I got this Dreamcast for free, and have a spare CD player lying around so I thought maybe I could try anyway, since I'll probably just buy a replacement GD-Rom unit.

But thank you.

EDIT: Yikes, forgot about the space issue! I have like 30 Dreamcast games and I know they won't all fit at once. Any SDHC on that hack?

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be having problems reading the CD-R because they might be low quality. Get some JVC, DataLifePlus AZO Series [Verbatim] make sure the have the AZO logo or MAM-A Gold CD-Rs. Burn at the lowest speed possible. This should fix the reading problems.
The reason I recommend that media is because it has a higher reflection layer and higher quality recording dye. Other brand CD-Rs including Verbatim Value Series, Sony, TDK, Memorex and off brand use a cheap dye which is known as MCM and has a poor reflection layer. While the MCM disc work fine the first couple of days the recording layer will start fading making the optical drive where the disc is being used work harder trying to read the data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up