Hacking Supercard Dstwo - Quick question.

SirGray

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I just ordered a Dstwo for my 3ds, and It hasn't arrived yet but I have decided to start setting up my micro sd card.

My first question is, my Micro sd card is a 4gb Class 2, being a class 2 will that pose any problems?

My other question is that I just started loading up plugins, I put on NDSgba 1.30 and Lameboy 0.12
But for Snes I am not sure what is better, Should I go with CATSFC or NDSSFC?

That's pretty much it, if you have any other plugin or dstwo suggestions feel free to post.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Your MicroSD might. Class is write speed while read speed is what actually matters, but class-2 is the lowest (barring unbranded chinese midnight-shift microSD shit) and often indicates a low-quality card (either build quality or internal controller/NAND quality). Some class-2 cards work fine for people, some show issues. Usually a class-4 is recommended to be safe, some go with a class-6 to make transferring things even faster on top.

CATSFC is the most recent branch (NDSSFC is the original branch).

Reactions: 1 person

SirGray

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so CATSFC is most likely the most up to date, I have been reading the forum of course and it would seem that Super mario rpg runs better on CATSFC so that's a plus too me so I will be going with that.

And since my microsd card has a high probability of sucking, I'll see how badly smRPG runs and then decide if I should get a new one.

Actually what would be a good benchmark for my microsd?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
NDSSFC wasn't updated after release, it was pushed open-source so that people could make their own branches, CATSFC is the second major branch (and the last).

MicroSD performance is not really something talked about for emulation as that deals with small amounts of data (the largest SNES game was only a few megs) and ROMs can often be loaded entirely into RAM to bypass performance issues, it's DS games that can get 512MB or so and thus have read issues.

I don't know of any good SD benchmark offhand or what numbers to compare it to nowadays (but note that the 2 in class-2 means it should be getting at least 2 megabytes per second write speed).

SirGray

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks for the info, hopefully this sd card can handle the ds games then, my 1gb class 4 worked great in my R4 but of course it's a class 4 and this is a class 2, since I gave my r4 to my father and it doesn't do sdhc I gave him the class 4 1gb micro sd for it, so the only micro sd I have now is this 4gb class 2, and too be honest I don't even remember were I got it but it has been in my phone, perhaps it came with my cell phone I don't really remember lol.

xXMortalKombatXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
haha, micro sd cards are so tiny, they appear and disappear to easily, strange how tiny things are getting even more expensive...

@topic:

i think that there's a way to speed up your sd card but what you put in it will occupy more space, and the difference isn't that big, try reformating it and change the allocation unit to the biggest number possible

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Data_cluster

SirGray

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Panasonic formatter does cluster sizing and such automatically for best SD performance, which is why it's recommended.

Yupp I used the panasonic formatter, I actually followed the Dstwo setup guide that's on the site, was just having that trouble deciding between the snes emulators but that's all settled now (CATSFC). My micro sd is all set up and ready for when my supercard gets here, hopefully my micro sd card will have a fast enough read speed to handle the nds games without lag.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please let us know if you have any problems with you destwo working on latest 3ds fw, there have been reported problems with latest fw for 3ds and dstwo fw updates

KegRaider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a problem with my DSTwo and the latest Nintendo Firmware. Not yet on the games I play though. Although I did notice that Pokemon Conquest is a little slow to read / write (clean rom), even on my DSi XL though.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if you have any desire or budget for this, but if you're going to put a LOT of games on there, you could get one of those awesome samsung 32 gb class 10 microSD cards on Amazon. They're literally only about $30-$40.

Anyway, I currently use a 4gb class 4 card, and it works just fine.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ds games shouldn't have lag even with a slow micro.
only the booting time from the menu to the game should change
The DS only has 4MB of RAM, how is it supposed to fit games that go up to 512MB? :P Obviously it has to read data from the MicroSD during the game. If a MicroSD is really slow, when games that need to stream-load areas or data (such as the pokemon games) will lag as they can't load data fast enough. Loading happens more often than during "loading" screen,s after all.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The DS only has 4MB of RAM, how is it supposed to fit games that go up to 512MB? :P Obviously it has to read data from the MicroSD during the game. If a MicroSD is really slow, when games that need to stream-load areas or data (such as the pokemon games) will lag as they can't load data fast enough. Loading happens more often than during "loading" screen,s after all.
well that wasn't the case for me back in the days of my lite and r4i

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's been my experience. There's no lag in the actual use of the DS games or other homebrew emulators, etc.

I'm using a class 4, and I'm not experiencing any lag in DS games at all. They run just as smooth as if I was running them off my actual carts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.