Hacking Supercard DSTwo In-Game Menu Not Working

M30wth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have successfully used a Supercard DSTwo on a DS Lite for over a year now, up until recently, after a series of events that involved setting up this flashcart on a 3DS. On both consoles, I upgrade the software and firmware to "EOS v1.11" and "v1.19," respectively. However, after doing so, the in-game menu no longer came up when I input L+R+Start. The games appear to run fine, otherwise.

Worthy of note is that the start-up icon was the "Tycoon Fishing" one, whereas now it is just the letters "SC DS." However, it shows up as the Alex Rider one on the 3DS I set up with this software / firmware combination and the in-game menu also works fine on this system. I tried formatting the uSD card and reverting to a previous backup (to no avail), so I suspect it's a firmware issue?

Does anybody have some insight as to what my next step should be?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What about L+R+Select? That brings up a more limited menu, but can show up in more situations. Do note that if you're in part of a game where certain buttons have been totally disabled (rare, but does happen in some games at some points) then shortcut keys involving those won't work, since the DS itself will ignore them as long as the game tells it to from what I've read.

Also make sure you're not running the games in clean mode, as clean mode disabled patches (including the in-game menus).

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember having a similar issue when I was playing around with the eos setting ini files. What ended up being my problem was the inclusion of a space between the settings name and the equal sign (enterLastDirWhenBoot = 1 when it should be enterLastDirWhenBoot=1).

Maybe check or replace all the setting files in the _dstwo folder, one may be corrupt.

M30wth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies but neither are pertinent to my circumstances.

L+R+Select doesn't work either. I'm definitely not in part of a game where any buttons have been disabled. The game is running in patch mode.

All files in the _dstwo folder are legit.

It just seems so weird that the in-game menu works on the 3DS but not the DS Lite. How exactly do the firmware updates work? Do they update the firmware of the flashcart or of the actual DS console? If the latter, is it possible to revert to the previous firmware somehow? I'm envisioning a scenario where I updated by DS Lite with 3DS firmware... is this possible?

Also, what's the deal with the different "SC DS" logo? I thought everything was supposed to be either Tycoon Fishing or Alex Rider?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Your Lite might have a messed up L/R button. Do the buttons actually respond in-game? The DS series is known for the L/R buttons going out after a while.

The firmware update goes on the flash cart itself. The 3/DS/i unit is never modified.

The DSTwo's bootloader is complex enough to present different headers depending on whether the system is an original DS or Lite (doesn't need a real game header to boot), or a DSi/3DS (does need a real game's header to boot). Other flash carts are built cheaper and don't have the space/complexity to hold and present two sets of headers, but the DSTwo does.

M30wth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*now* I feel dumb... L button confirmed to not be working. Is there any way I can change the shortcut for the in-game menu such that it does not require the use of this button?

edit: aaaand I just followed a recommendation to give the L button a blowjob of sorts by making a perfect seal around it and, well, yeah. It worked.

Thanks for you help, even if all you did was point me to the obvious. Funny how this button failed at the exact same time I change the technology of the system. Red herrings, etc.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What, were you expecting me to somehow reach through the screen and poke your DS back to working? :P This is a forum, the only thing we CAN do is give you information.

No shortcut change, all you can really do is hope the L button stays working. I got my DSi's shoulder buttons repaired under warranty, but the warranty on most DS Lite units is long-gone so I'd suggest checking out one of the internal fix guides you can find online if it starts acting up again.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of an old thread but im having the same issue... latest eos, lr+start isnt showing the menu but everything else with the card works. On a 3DS with both l and r confirmed working on the home menu of the 3DS

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure in the settings for the DSTWo there's a place where you can change the hotkeys that go to the in game menu. I've never actually used it, but I saw it in there when I was just seeing what all was in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok