Gaming Super Smash Bros lag is just terrible!

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone else noticed playing Super Smash Bros online you sometimes well alot in fact get terrible lag and the match itself becomes unplayable!. Now I know for sure its not my connection, I'm on a FTTP connection 330/30MB to my house so I get pings with 14ms and below with 0 Jitter all the time via Ethernet cable to my router. I find the lag mostly at its worst when playing For Glory Smash. Now if it is other players with a bad internet connection is there not a way of getting rid of them or finding out who is the culprit because the online matches suck when there bad connection brings the match down. Does anyone else notice it quite badly or is there a way of making it any better?

Edit:- Just wanted to say, I only find it at its worst in a 4Vs match in Smash Glory.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When playing with friends who live near me through the Nintendo Network, I had VERY little to no lag, but my bro played online and got massive lag when it was with strangers.

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When playing with friends who live near me through the Nintendo Network, I had VERY little to no lag, but my bro played online and got massive lag when it was with strangers.

Yeah same here, local fine but playing around the world I get terrible lag, the SSB circle in the bottom right hand corner of the screen just goes around and around and you even struggle to cancel the game, its so bad!

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah same here, local fine but playing around the world I get terrible lag, the SSB circle in the bottom right hand corner of the screen just goes around and around and you even struggle to cancel the game, its so bad!

Sadly, I don't see how this issue will ever be fixed on a handheld that uses Wifi on a fast paced game with people from around the world. Hopefully it's as simple as an update on the game or Nintendo's servers.

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
The way I understand it, the person with the slowest connection set the throughput speed. So low on the totem is the one running at full speed... I had this issue ALL THE TIME doing DOA matches. Those were just one on one, but the lag could get pretty bad at times.

Darkfadergfx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is going to get fixed, sure of that, Nintendo never leaves us hanging and don't think they'll start now, the game itself is perfect so it's just a matter of time before they fix this. Maybe update 1.3 will fix it ;)

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Its not really Nintendo's fault, i dont think iv played an "online" fighting game that didnt have lag. Its just something you need to get used to. I find it mostly on the "for fun" mode so my one suggestion for now is to play the "for glory" mode. 1 v 1 has pretty much no lag, 2 v 2 has a little but in general its lag free with 1 in every 5-6 matches being slightly laggy.

Im sure Nintendo will do what they can to improve the servers but as always, people have different connection speeds on different networks so it will never be 100% lag free. Just try and cope, its like playing tennis in the wind, stop whining about the weather and just adapt better than your oppenent.

Attachments

• WiiU_screenshot_TV_01727.jpg
    WiiU_screenshot_TV_01727.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 294

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It does get so bad though, its quite annoying and ruins the online experience at times, don't get me wrong I think the online part of SSB is so good, so much to do and choose, its fantastic but yes the lag does need sorting out and as darkfader said up above maybe in another update, hopefully!. Also like weiff said I don't think there has been an online game on the 3DS so fast paced all at one time on one screen to date, you would of thought Nintendo would of dealt with this before releasing it!

Edit: @ Teenignma. I never ever got lag on SSB on the Wii nor on any other online console game for that matter, the only problem I ever had because of my connection I had to buy an ethernet lan adpater for the Wii because of MK6 it could not handle the speeds of my connection and kept disconnecting going into the race.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there should be set connection tiers and you should only be paired with someone that has around the same connection tier as you.

Why should people with good connection be forced to play against people who don't pay for good internet speeds.

I'm just salty that i have connection like this:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3787688620

and i get the laggiest matches still.

kingofgamesgx

Hitokiri Battousai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was playing with friends around the US last night one was from IL two from FL and i am from CT and there was no lag for me

i got a 80/10 connect myself also have done some for glory and only had lag one time out of say 20 matches

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: @ Teenignma. I never ever got lag on SSB on the Wii nor on any other online console game for that matter, the only problem I ever had because of my connection I had to buy an ethernet lan adpater for the Wii because of MK6 it could not handle the speeds of my connection and kept disconnecting going into the race.

I should really change it to say "handheld fighting game" lol but you just reminded me that mario kat 7 for me runs smooth as silk and thats a Nintendo game with just as much crazyness as smash bros, so im starting to think maybe Nintendo DO need to pull their finger out and start fixing it. Im not in top teir connection speeds but i seem to run for glory mode lag-free. I have no idea why you are getting such lag on it as mentioned in your OP tho, your connection is VASTLY superior to mine and iv only had like 3 (of about 30) of my for glory matches be laggy.

Reactions: Reecey

JoshuaBojangles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like that playing with japanese kids gives me 0 lag but when I play with someone from like a state away, BOOM LAGGITY LAG. Game is pretty playable besides those few matches that get really bad so I dont really have any complaints.

NotAnAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: the bottleneck here is the latency (ping if you prefer), not bandwidth (also incorrectly known as "speed")

It actually has more to do with jitter than simply the latency. I have had smoothish games to Japan where I ping around 130ms. It's just that people in Japan tend to have much better internet setups so there is less jitter.

Not to do with your post but for others:
The game is over wifi which is a huge problem, most people have no idea what their ping plots look like, and docsis is bad in general for ping sensitive games.

They really need to let you select what region of the US you are located. And maybe give bans to laggers. I don't think it would be too hard to implement. Simply have the 3ds ping a remote server and if the jitter is too much, they get temporarily banned.
If that would be infeasible, then they could simply just have the 3ds ping your gateway ip. That would at least get people off who are lagging because of wireless.

I should really change it to say "handheld fighting game" lol but you just reminded me that mario kat 7 for me runs smooth as silk and thats a Nintendo game with just as much crazyness as smash bros, so im starting to think maybe Nintendo DO need to pull their finger out and start fixing it. Im not in top teir connection speeds but i seem to run for glory mode lag-free. I have no idea why you are getting such lag on it as mentioned in your OP tho, your connection is VASTLY superior to mine and iv only had like 3 (of about 30) of my for glory matches be laggy.

The netcode for mk7 is heavily done client side. It does not really matter where your position is, it can be approximated.
Smash bros has to be syncd, otherwise there would be a myriad of desyncs.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What people do not understand is that Smash bros does not use the same online infracstructure as the other games.
All nintendo games BUT smash are asynchronous online.
Smash is synchronous online, meaning that imputs are done in real time instead.
Like NotAnAlias saud, asynchronous wouln't work, as it would lead to a lot of desyncs.

So to get good performance, both the parties must have an extremely stable connection.
This isn't merely something that can be fixed using a patch,

Reactions: NEP

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For Mario Kart, if there's lag (and this is common) you'll just see your opponents teleporting around instead of the entire game slowing down. This works for MK but would be a disaster for Smash.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
The netcode for mk7 is heavily done client side. It does not really matter where your position is, it can be approximated.
Smash bros has to be syncd, otherwise there would be a myriad of desyncs.

For Mario Kart, if there's lag (and this is common) you'll just see your opponents teleporting around instead of the entire game slowing down. This works for MK but would be a disaster for Smash.

Ok. So do you think the lag is even remotely patchable by Nintendo with a better server? Or are we stuck with this for the most part?

NotAnAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So do you think the lag is even remotely patchable by Nintendo with a better server? Or are we stuck with this for the most part?

You're probably stuck. The netcode is quite good, it's just that the people lagging, lag really bad. (Most fighting games do not work well at all with 100+ping)
All nintendo has to do is not let those people play online with some pretty easy methods. However, I'm rather doubtful we'll see them.
Every Japanese game I've specc'd(live) had no lag. They are probably not paying attention to other countries unfortunately. I think that's pretty evident considering you cannot even set what region in the US you are located in. Most games separate US west from US East.

Pings from California to New York are around 100ms... combined that with jittery connections, is an awful experience.

I'm not even sure how the game will work with Australians. The game will pair them up with other PAL users, and that's just going to be awful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021