Gaming Super Smash Bros. Brawl Official Discussion

ShortFuse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things to do while you wait:

1) Upgrade your drivechip to latest firmware.
2) Upgrade your wii to latest firmware
3) Unscrew your old old gamecube controllers and clean out the junk from the analog sticks and bend the Z-Button's metal flap back up so it's more responsive.
4) Buy another gamecube controller
5) Buy a Wii Lan Adapter for less lag with online play.

jergens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

3) Unscrew your old old gamecube controllers and clean out the junk from the analog sticks and bend the Z-Button's metal flap back up so it's more responsive.
I think everyone has already done step 1 and 2 long ago.
Also, I don't think step 5 will help. A wireless Wii connection has a maximum rate of 54Mbps, your internet connection is only going to be a fraction of that. Unless you're sharing one wireless access point with many others, it shouldn't matter.

ShortFuse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think everyone has already done step 1 and 2 long ago.
Also, I don't think step 5 will help. A wireless Wii connection has a maximum rate of 54Mbps, your internet connection is only going to be a fraction of that. Unless you're sharing one wireless access point with many others, it shouldn't matter.

Latency has nothing to do with speed.
Wireless has more latency than ethernet

leeharris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a LAN adapter for less lag? Are you serious? Wifi latency is less than 1ms. If you pay $30 to remove less than 1ms of latency you are wasting your money.

leeharris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, do some research?

Hrmm, lets see, what research could I do...

Oh yeah, there is that wifi antenna up on my house that is beaming to a tower about 15 miles away. I get less than 2-3ms when I ping the gateway at the tower. Worst case scenario I get 10ms.

And I just pinged my router and I'm a few rooms away. 1ms.

If you really want to continue this argument I will get real data and send it your way.

MarcoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know, but how did guys that have it make the videos that are all around youtube, for example. Only with a copy... or not? :0

ShortFuse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, do some research?

Oh yeah, there is that wifi antenna up on my house that is beaming to a tower about 15 miles away. I get less than 2-3ms when I ping the gateway at the tower. Worst case scenario I get 10ms.

If you really want to continue this argument I will get real data and send it your way.

Don't compare a WISP + Tower to home WLAN with that weak WiFi board and poor antenna the Wii has.
I get 5ms from my ISP on my connection on ethernet. On my laptop, it get 7ms. That's 2ms more. And my laptop has a large antenna based on the size of the screen.
Anyone who has tried to move their Wii around a large house know the range on it is very limited. Most people say it's somewhere around 30 feet with a normal 802.11g router.

badabing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Haha, do some research?

Don't compare a WISP + Tower to home WLAN with that weak WiFi board and poor antenna the Wii has.
I get 5ms from my ISP on my connection on ethernet. On my laptop, it get 7ms. That's 2ms more. And my laptop has a large antenna based on the size of the screen.
Anyone who has tried to move their Wii around a large house know the range on it is very limited. Most people say it's somewhere around 30 feet with a normal 802.11g router.

Useless discussion, it's different for everybody.. even the type of brick wall affects your signal. Too many other factors.

wayt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i've been waiting the whole day and still no news about the NTSC-J copy
sleep.gif
"

leeharris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, do some research?

I can personally vouch that I have both a Wii and a DS in my place right now that grab WiFi from about 700 feet away with a WRT54g with a single 7dbi antenna attached. And it goes through about 6 or 7 walls, some metal.

By the way, you say when you're a floor away you imply that having a LAN adapter will help that situation. I don't know about you, but if my Wii was in the living room which is a floor away from my router I'd have to run a several hundred foot ethernet cable out of the computer room, through the game room, down the stairs, through the kitchen, and into the living room. The cost of the cable + the LAN adapter far exceeds buying a cheap 7dbi or even 9dbi antenna which could easily boost the signal to way more than adequate levels. Even without the antenna there are lots of things you can do. Reposition your router, reposition the Wii, build/buy a parabolic reflector for the router antennas, etc.

2ms extra would not be noticeable to anyone especially on a client to client connection. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99.9999% of people won't be able to differentiate between +20/-20ms.

MarcoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well, in a game like SSBB, 20 ms could effectively be fatal if you don't have a really good connection because they would sum up with the connection lag.

Sneakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haha, do some research?

I can personally vouch that I have both a Wii and a DS in my place right now that grab WiFi from about 700 feet away with a WRT54g with a single 7dbi antenna attached. And it goes through about 6 or 7 walls, some metal.

By the way, you say when you're a floor away you imply that having a LAN adapter will help that situation. I don't know about you, but if my Wii was in the living room which is a floor away from my router I'd have to run a several hundred foot ethernet cable out of the computer room, through the game room, down the stairs, through the kitchen, and into the living room. The cost of the cable + the LAN adapter far exceeds buying a cheap 7dbi or even 9dbi antenna which could easily boost the signal to way more than adequate levels. Even without the antenna there are lots of things you can do. Reposition your router, reposition the Wii, build/buy a parabolic reflector for the router antennas, etc.

2ms extra would not be noticeable to anyone especially on a client to client connection. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99.9999% of people won't be able to differentiate between +20/-20ms.

Not necessarily, YOU could drag cable around your stairs and crap like you said but that look extremely stupid and unconventional, I currently have an ethernet cable going through my room THROUGH THE WALL and downstairs which it then comes out into the Living room where I have another hub which I can then use to connect another two etherenet cables for my 360 and my PC downstairs... I really dont know how the cable is running through my wall, I just know my Dad did it ... he said something about a ventilation system or something but I wasn't paying attention due to the reason I was awed by the fact that there was an ethernet cable in my @#!*in wall now! ... so wait that means my info was actually very useful then ... but I can also vouch that My Wii can pick my Wifi signal from my room to the basement (going through two floors) just fine, and I dont lag online (I test it on my friend who has a great connection to see If he experienced any lag which he didn't meaning my connection was fine ... thats my story and Im sticking to it)

Sneakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for double post but does anybody have any updates on Brawl being dumped? ... I didn actually Mod my Wii but I just want to laugh at friend who promised to annoy me when he download the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1