Super Mario Run Launches for iPhone & iPad on Dec. 15

screen696x696.jpeg

Select Game Content Available for Free; One-Time $9.99 Purchase Opens Full Game

KYOTO, Japan - The first-ever mobile game featuring the most iconic video game hero of all time goes on sale for iPhone and iPad on Dec. 15 in United States time zones. Super Mario Run can be downloaded from the App Store at no cost, and players can try elements of the game’s three modes for free. Once the game has been downloaded, a one-time payment of $9.99 (United States price) will grant unlimited access to each of the three modes in this release.

“The wait is almost over for a Super Mario game that can be played on mobile devices,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Developed under the direction of Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, Super Mario Run brings a new take on the series’ beloved action-platforming gameplay to iPhone and iPad for the first time.”

Super Mario Run is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS 8.0 or later. Starting on Dec. 15, the game will launch in 151 countries and regions. Super Mario Runsupports English, Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Russian and traditional Chinese language options.

Super Mario Run is the first Super Mario Bros.game developed specifically for mobile devices. In the game, Mario runs forward on his own, but relies on the tap of a single finger to jump over obstacles, avoid enemies, pull off stylish moves, collect coins and reach the flagpole to complete courses.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'll try it. But I sincerely hope this is a one-off to generate hype around Nintendo games in advance of the Switch release and not a long-term strategy.

How is this any different to them releasing their shitty party games in their consoles? I'd be more worried about the quality of their console games than this runner.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I have iOS. I just feel sad that Nintendo is going down this road.

Meh, it's dollars and sense. The mobile market has already proven to be a lucrative market for Nintendo with a game that they only have partial ownership of, Pokemon Go. Miitomo did about as well as you'd expect a non-game like that to do.

Point is, by not making mobile games, Nintendo was wasting huge opportunity profits and they clearly recognized this in recent years and are doing just what makes financial sense to keep them going and able to do the weirder stuff that Nintendo does and take the riskier moves in the development of their console and handheld titles.

I truly don't see the issue, if anything this is probably just creating more jobs and more profits at Nintendo.

Reactions: Yil

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
How is this any different to them releasing their shitty party games in their consoles? I'd be more worried about the quality of their console games than this runner.
I think even the worst Nintendo party game would compare favourably to a reskinned, generic endless runner.

Meh, it's dollars and sense. The mobile market has already proven to be a lucrative market for Nintendo with a game that they only have partial ownership of, Pokemon Go. Miitomo did about as well as you'd expect a non-game like that to do.

Point is, by not making mobile games, Nintendo was wasting huge opportunity profits and they clearly recognized this in recent years and are doing just what makes financial sense to keep them going and able to do the weirder stuff that Nintendo does and take the riskier moves in the development of their console and handheld titles.

I truly don't see the issue, if anything this is probably just creating more jobs and more profits at Nintendo.
The issue is not that they're making mobile games. Proper mobile Nintendo games would be great. But this endless runner shit just makes Nintendo look bad, cheaping out on the same crap every wannabe iOS developer can produce using tutorials on YouTube instead of actually investing in decent mobile games.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is not that they're making mobile games. Proper mobile Nintendo games would be great. But this endless runner shit just makes Nintendo look bad, cheaping out on the same crap every wannabe iOS developer can produce using tutorials on YouTube instead of actually investing in decent mobile games.

Am I missing something here? This looks like by far the best endless runner I've seen for mobile. Yeah it isn't the first to the party, but to me it looks brilliantly refined like its getting everything right and looks like a game I'm going to want to open up all the time when I've got time to kill.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Manager: Well people, we need a new Nintendo game. But, not just any game....a Mario Game!
Staff member: .......Yes, that's totally original!
Manager: But, what type of game should it be?
Staff member: Oh, it should be a Running type game, that's 100% original....amiright?
Manager: That's fantastic, get to work NOW!
Random guy: But, isn't there already tons of running games, like Sonic Dash, Temple Run, etc?
Manager: Yes, but ours is original...because it has Mario!
Random guy: That's not original, even Sonic Dash isn't.....and Running as Sonic, and friends....seems....more logical; rather than an Italian plumber yelling "Waaahoo!" all the time.
Manager: Sure, but it'll be on iOS!!
Random guy: Even worse, iOS has to be the worst option for a game like this, Android is always the better route. Why? Because it's far easier to exploit, and hack.
Manager: Get, get out now!
Random guy: Yep, this is going to fail.....miserably.

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I missing something here? This looks like by far the best endless runner I've seen for mobile. Yeah it isn't the first to the party, but to me it looks brilliantly refined like its getting everything right and looks like a game I'm going to want to open up all the time when I've got time to kill.
If it was from some unknown iOS developer I might agree that was an achievement. But we're talking about Nintendo here. Nintendo, with its decades of experience in developing video games and a reputation for innovative controls, and they bring us a one-touch endless runner. It's such a step down that I can't feel anything but disappointment.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't see anything in the video that led me to believe this is a simple "endless runner". The level designs would require an absolutely incredible (impossible actually) algorithm to be randomly generated without creating impossible obstacles. As far as I can guess it's a NSMB game with dumbed down controls.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't see anything in the video that led me to believe this is a simple "endless runner". The level designs would require an absolutely incredible (impossible actually) algorithm to be randomly generated without creating impossible obstacles. As far as I can guess it's a NSMB game with dumbed down controls.
But not nearly as complex. Not necessarily a good thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: